Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Phoenix
Expert

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by Phoenix »

You are currently exploring the Crypt. There is a quick way of returning to Guilds, but it might be a little difficult. If you can find your way back to the stairs of ashes there's a set of stairs to the south leading down to the Spider level. At the bottom of the stairs is a trick/trap pit that open a second after you stand there that will drop you into the Portals. The Portal room has teleporters to levels 0 through 7. It's a little tricky because there will be a bunch vexirks there, but, if you use poison cloud to move them out of the way, the portal directly to the west of where you fall leads to the Guild level. Each of those vexirks has a Guild key if you can kill them. I'd save your game before trying it, but it is possible to do.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Downloaded a game with a group of heroes who seem to have gone most of the way through the game. Still able to get 'destroyed' by the beasties, if one isn't careful. What a game! DM (the first one) is still the game I'd tell folks to try first. It could be played by just about any motivated dungeon-loving individual, leaving a good feeling.

But Conflux? I'm still amazed by how easily I get turned around in all the pitfalls. P.S. (Phoenix): Don't know if I'll ever find the stairway to the spider level again. Ha, do I ever feel left-handed (which I am, by the way).
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Thanks Phoenix.
Found the way to the spider section. Also found a water fountain (ah, finally a good drink). Did finally stand still long enough to fall in the right hole. Ha. Was so shocked and petrified (since my hero should be dubbed 'Wimpo' the Poodle King), I jumped in the right hole to get to the guild section. I'll go back and try to punish a few Vexirks (forgot what they were called, remembering the first time I saw one of their kin in DM, back in the late 80's), trying to get a few keys, etc. for the journey ahead.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Was able to dump everything on the floor (spider room), then step on the panel (ha, ha, can't rob what I'm not carrying). It took time to get them to drop the corbum and key, but got back to the guilds (only have Zed still).

Did the 'give up four things to get a ring' thing. Is it worth giving up all four things? I know my current staff will run out of lightning soon.

Picked up some shorty-rags, planning on trading for a nice axe eventually.

Now, would I be wise to pick another hero or two?

I'm sure I'll take forever to figure out a couple of those four poetic puzzles (is the Poetry Lady the one who made these up?).
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The guild item puzzle gives you a funereal stormring. There are six funereal weapons in Conflux and, while they are useful in certain circumstances, they really only count if you are pursuing the Conflux challenge. There is a scroll at the beginning of the game that you have to keep with your party to get points toward the challenge, and each funereal weapon counts as a point.

I'd recommend waiting until you have all of the guild doors open before acquiring the ring since the locked doors prevent you from getting higher ninja/wizard/priest/fighter levels. Once you have opened each guild's Leadership gateway there are no further level restictions on your champions. Unlike DM/CSB, you get extra abilities at higher levels. This is especially true for the priest guild where your champion needs to get to craftsman to identify cursed and broken items and artisan, before being able to identify unique items. It's only once you have an UM master priest that you get complete information on an item.

You'll need one of each guild item to unlock the guildmasters' mirrors(Mophus, Leyla, Halk and Gothmog), and the two guild item "puzzles". After that, there really is no further need for them. I usually have about six extra of each at the end of the game.

The number of heroes you use is completely up to you. The only reason to use a single champion really is to enable you to reach all of the guildmaster endings(complete the challenge) or if you want the game to be really hard. I played Conflux a number of times before taking the single champion route. There are events and dialogs that only occur if you have specific champions in your party. In this aspect, Conflux actually encourages you to replay it with different champions. It's only when you add Wuuf or Daroou to your party, for example, that you get access to beast mode. If you want to continue with one champion, then you really need to get to UM master in all guilds.

If you are refering to the Guild puzzles, they each are a specific item found on the top levels of th e dungeon.
Spoiler
Since all of this information can be found on the wiki, they are a compass, eggs, scrolls and an axe.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I noticed the options changed, when higher levels are attained. I've actually enjoyed seeing the different things show up. 'Climb down' was nice, since I lost that first rope (found a number of them, as I wandered around the place). Am I imagining it, or does the rope work better than the 'climb down' skill? It seems I take less damage when using the rope.

Guildmasters: Do these four represent the four 'best' of each guild? It seems that Ms. Wuuf was among the elite, the first time I played.
Will I be able to get Wuuf as one of my picks?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

As far as I know it's the same skill. The problem you might be facing is that rope/climb down is designed around a single level drop, and in Conflux there are multiple pits that are two or more level drops. So you'll take a still take a level drop hit using rope/climb down. The amount of damage seems to be based partly on what your champion is wearing and luck. I've dropped into the sewers to get a flamebane before I had a rope and before reaching expert ninja(climb down), but only got a broken leg 10% of the time.

The guildmasters have better initial stats than the majority of the champions and each is required to be in your party to open their quest door on the Neta/Dain/Ros/Ku levels. Mophus can wear the Holy armor and Halk can wear the Dragon/Darc armor without penalty.

Wuuf's mirror can be accessed after solving the ninja riddle and opening the ninja Doorway of the Pretender.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I took the time to wipe out the troublemakers in the transport room, after dropping from the spider room. I've passed through there a couple times since, finding the place empty now (don't know if that remains the same).

Took a side trip, after saving the game, to get Wuuf. It seems that Wuuf isn't all that great a pick. I may opt for a fighter. By the way, I noticed a couple of the ones I picked (I'm playing with three heroes now, which makes life much easier) are a totally different hero than the pictures frames indicated.

Found a mirror but didn't save the game, considering the time I'd need to get back to safe ground again. Ha. I believe ZYX and the gang spent a lot of time laughing at the 'fun?' everyone would have, getting a great item, but then having to drag yourself back to a safe spot.
I'll wait for the mirror I can get in the ninja guild area.

I've been bashing the statues near the safe place behind the wall (near the pillar with all four holes filled with food...and one key. I wonder if there is a competition point for moving all that food to get that key??? I may have lost my competition scroll, not realizing its importance earlier in the game. Not a problem, since I'm just trying to get through this time.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

The room with all the holes, with the transport feature following you all around the room. And the transport field below, as well. Seems I figured all this out, years back, but I'm stumped now. I may need a different key than I have in my stores now ("Toss me the right key").
I've laid all my keys on the pressure plate, also tossing all my keys to everyone who looked like they might be interested in the room, with no results. I've also found no solution for the transport fields below. I had trouble with the 'simple' one on original DM, if anyone remembers that room. I remember finding my way through that one, as well as the exhilarating experience it brought when I came out the other side. I doubt I'll figure this one out. Good thing this isn't 1987/1988, with no internet help and no friends also playing the game. How did I get through those games, back then?
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

One other thing I remembered, so I jumped online to ask about it.

It seems odd that I haven't found the 'unlock' for the lightning bolt spell. Did I miss something?
This spell surely seems to hammer my heroes pretty good. Sound effects are good, too.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Looks like you've found your way to the council level. The room with the pillar of food is the Officer's canteen and the room with the chase transporter is the Joggler Giggler room. I'll give you a hint, the "key" is not an actual key but a weightless object.

To unlock Thunder(lightning) you have to pass the test of the burning hands on the Temple level, and yes it inflicts a crazy amount of damage. You are move likely to get a broken limb from a lightning bolt than from falling down a pit.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

The one lock says it is a 'magical' lock, or something close. I figure that one needs more than the item you're talking about for the Joggler Giggler room. I know I figured the chase transporter out when I first tried Conflux out. It's hard to believe how much I've forgotten. I guess I was doing the 'trial and error' thing the first time through. Unlike my first attempt at DM, in which I took my time and noted everything on graph paper. No internet help, as well as nobody (as far as I knew) in the town/city ever hearing of DM. Good times, when Zork was still being played by some computer gamers.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Ok, I know which door you are talking about. That door leads to the Chambers of the Council and can only be opened after defeating the Chamberlain. He's behind that half opened RA door down the hall from you. He summons vexirks if he sees your party in that hall. He's tough unless you're at master levels.

I still play the infocom games every now and then. They force you to think. I can remember playing Zork via BBS.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Well, I accomplished one thing that I didn't finish the first time I played Conflux; stores for the strong. I must have simply given up the first time, since I was able (with a little planning ahead) to get everything out and still live through the experience.

I haven't been able to get the door open to fight the Chamberlain, but I did gamble and win the Crown of Pride (seems a useless item).

Still using three heroes. I'm not in a hurry to pick a fourth person. Once again, I noticed a number of the portraits aren't the same as the hero a person actually gets. That last shuriken opens up Mr. Cloak of Night portrait, but the portrait and hero is someone else (couple of nice keys, however, and an all but useless rope at this point).

I noticed that when I awaken from dreaming, my wisdom is enhanced in the leader of the group. Any special reason for that?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I've learned so many things since 3.5B8, and it's only since WIP008 that I learned how to save the slaves. I used to dread dealling with Trollins in the Sewers until I learned to drop them down Pit D. Supplies for the Strong is still tricky, if you don't get the timing of placing the stick just right the doors keep closing on you.

You need a square key and an iron key to open the door to the Captain's quarters. You'll also need a turquoise key in that room to get the onyx keys.

The crown of pride is indeed a useless item. The last shuriken unlocks Leyla's mirror. The last corbum unlocks Gothmog's mirror. The mirror portraits are off by design as far as I can tell. If you are dreaming wisdom, you must have Boris in your party, as that's his special ability. Be sure to equip Wuuf with the Beobow. It's faster and does extra damage in Wuuf's hand.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I didn't do anything with a stick. I just kept picking stuff up, turning to the left and setting them down outside the room, repeat. I was able to get everything before anyone died.

I haven't decided on my 4th character (sorry Wuuf, you must think I'm a traitor). I may go for bulk, since I have Tiggy and Boris. I still wonder if Zed was a best 1st-choice hero. It seems everyone is passing him up, so I've been forced to relegate him to second row.

I still haven't found the 'burning hands' spot. I've been killing everything I see in the temple area. The priest (or whatever he was), with the EE blessing slot behind him. There's also a slot beside where he was lurking. Any real benefit to sticking anything in those two slots?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

You can use a stick to jam the door to Supplies for the Strong. It will hold the doors open until you remove the scimitar from the alcove.

Be sure and give Tiggy your vorple blade. Zed really isn't the best choice for an easy game, but you can start with two monk staves. Leif slighly edges out Iaido for the easiest. Gando is the hardest, but he can start with two corbums. Once you find the Gift of Tamiel and have Gando wear it, he regenerates mana.

Temple is the name of level 2 and within that level is the Iron Temple where you found the High Preist(EE blessing). To the south of that area is a hallway labeled Followers of Lao Tzu. You'll find St. Prometheus at the end of that hallway guarding the eternal torch and the Fire Pact(fury). Right before St. Prometheus is a door labeled Master of Plasmas. Behind that door is the Test of the Burning hands.

If you place an item found in the sewers in the High Priest's alcove(scroll: the yin in the yang) it will give you an onyx key for the lock there. It opens access to the Future machine next door.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I remember seeing the yin/yang scroll. Don't know if I saved the game 'after' finding it. If not, who knows where that scroll might be now?

Do I need to get that EE blessing, or put an item in the other slot (can't remember if it's a coin or not)?

I also (finally) attacked the little guy stuck in the doorway with my axe, after opening the gate and constantly trying to step forward. Can you spell REGENERATION? That poor, little guy (ZYX should have placed a bottle of aspirin in the game, to give it to him) must have the most boring job of anyone in the game.

Ahhh. Future Machine. That must be something I haven't seen before. Something I surely want to see.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The EE blessing is used to uncurse objects in your inventory. You can use any coin in the slot, but there are more GOR coins than any other type of coin.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Does one coin remove the curse on everything in your inventory, or does a single item have to be placed anywhere in particular?

I found a water bag, early in my game. It gives almost no water benefits when used. Would that be a cursed item?

That EYE is a humorous add-on in the game. I put the thing on my head and started laughing. Are there places it helps? Thanks to whoever decided on putting that in the game. I wish I had one to wear in public. Ha.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The EE blessing affects all items being worn and in inventory for all the members of your party, but if you place a cursed object in a bag it will not be uncursed. Your champions get the ability to detect cursed objects at Craftsman priest level.

Yes, that waterskin is cursed. It only provides a third of what a normal waterskin should. Conflux has its own open door spell, so if you use the old DM/CSB spell you will be cursed in proportion to the power rune used. You have to be very careful using the dispell non-material being spell. I can't tell you how many times that I've accidently cursed my entire inventory casting MON level dispell when I didn't have enough mana for the last rune.

Are you refering the the Xorn eye? Leave it on for a minute and you'll see its power. One of the funniest things in Conflux is that, if you have a head injury, you can put a steak on your head and it has a small percentage chance of healling the wound.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I have a 18 hour 37 minute video of a complete Conflux III game.
The advantage over the CSBWin 'playback' feature is that you can
jump to any point in the game, back up, play at differing speed, etc.

The video is 1.4 GB (640x400 h.265) and I don't want to upload it if
nobody wants it. So let me know.

I did upload a torrent to thepiratebay.org. You can search for 'ConfluxIII'
and download it directly from me peer-to-peer. If you cannot do
that, get in touch with me. I'll mail a DVD to you if all else fails.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Paul: I downloaded the one which had three speeds. Wow, the second one was a challenge to watch. I doubt I'll risk the fastest one. I might get brain seizures. Oh wait, I already get those.

I would be very pleased to see your video, especially if it can has the pause and jump-ahead features. Thanks for the offer.

Phoenix: I don't think I've unintentionally cursed anything, so that was probably dumb luck. I already knew the casting of spells to be totally different (er, ZO-KATH...I guess not ALL are different, now that I give it a little thought).

I found out about the eye (looks like a rock when you drop it on the floor). It has the another oddity, in that it can't be put in a bag. I carried that eye around with me, afraid I might need it, until I tried placing it on each part of my body. Where does it benefit a person in the game? For some reason, I don't believe I've tried the 'steak' thing. I'll have to try to remember that for fun.

P.S. I don't think that 'cursed' waterskin gives 1/3 of the benefit of a normal waterskin. Three gulps from a normal one tends to take a hero from empty to completely full. I don't believe nine gulps from the bad waterskin would fill up a hero. However, it works far better than dust.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

If you put the Xorn eye on your head after a few seconds you get ultravision. It's not really needed unless you are collecting all the unique items. Neither eyes, books, nor the "one ring" can be put in bags.

That waterskin is cursed from the begining of the game. The amount was listed in the wiki and much much earlier in this thread. It's not a number that I came up with. That waterskin is located next to a trapped fountain. To the left of the stairs, in that same area, is a wooden door that can be bashed and behind that door is a bag with a normal waterskin.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I've been surprised at how many doorways can be opened with an axe or a fireball.

I dropped a number of knives. I haven't seen too many of them.

Is there a location that has a number of them? I'll want those special gloves. If I don't get them, well, my hands might get cold.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I would be very pleased to see your video, especially if it can has the pause and jump-ahead features
It is available at:
http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Conflux ... ough-1.mp4

The 'pause and jump-ahead features are a function of the program you use
to view the video. I recommend VLC.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Iaido and Leif can identify many of the breakable doors. The trick is to learn which doors not to break or open. Lockpics work on many doors as well.

The Sewers has the highest concentration of knives. Most are hidden in the small grates/holes at the bottom of some walls. If you dropped them at various locations and they aren't there anymore, then they've been probably be picked up by gigglers, leprachauns, monks and or vexirks.

You'll want to get into the habbit of examining all objects, as many aren't normal. Half the rocks in the dwarven mines are glowing stones. There are many special thorns, knives, gems, dusts, powders and purses.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I went into the sewers a couple of extra times, knowing the grates were knife friendly. I am up to six or seven now. I believe I need 10. Whatever, that will just be a side issue I'll remember.

The gloves I found along the way help a bit, but not all that much. I enjoy slapping the stone golems with my open hand. In my imagination, I'm really getting their attention (VIS: Golems with gaping mouths, stunned by my arrogance).

I took a detour, just exploring. Got through the golems and fire serpents to the kitchen. Went through each of the transporters in the area, getting my rat supplies bolstered. I'm running with three waterskins and two flasks now. Thanks for the EE help, Phoenix.

I saved one game at the 'friend' area, with all the alphabet, excluding the last one or two (right?). Is there some kind of hint that isn't getting though the mud in my head? Oh well, if Gandolf needed help with his riddle, I guess I'm in good company (that hat of his was way over the top, in my humble opinion).

Are the snapdragons, skullseeds and stone mushrooms. Are these thing usable in the game. Those flowers make me wish ZYX had put a couple of weedeaters in the game.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Tried to open your video, Paul. I may need a special program, since all I'm seeing is a page of letters and numbers.
I'll check to see if I forgot to install VLC on this computer. Life gets so busy that a person doesn't always use certain stuff for a long time.

Thanks anyway. It was kind of you to take the time to include it for us. If I fail to figure it out, I'll touch base with you.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Tried to open your video, Paul.
That is an MP4 file.....A movie. Encoded with h.265, a common encoding.

What did you try to open it with????? You saw letters and numbers? A text editor?????

What do you usually use to view movies?

I just tried Windows Media Player and it plays the audio but appears
unable to play the video. Perhaps 18-1/2 hours overwhelmed it.
Mr. Gates may not approve of such long movies.

To test it, I downloaded it again and played it with VLC. To be sure that
it is not some sort of fluke, I downloaded MPC-HC media player and it,
too, played the video OK.