Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Phoenix
Expert

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by Phoenix »

Unfortunately, I could not save all my logs for the game as I ran out of space after 5000 files. Weight was definitely an issue thoughout the game. I know your version was different because there were stairs in places that don't have stairs any more. The gaps in the Council level have statues now and the sewers are usually filled with leaches now. Creatures are more aggressive and hunt you now as well. The number of gigglers I encountered was increadible.
Spoiler
The hardest part is the beginning. I followed Parallax's info from the wiki and killed my party at the VI altar near the stairs to the Mildew area. This brought everyones stats to at least 2 or more and health to 25. Then it was down the to Sewers to 'pray' up to Apprentice Priest. I actually made clothes for my party after killing many rats and had an axe even before I had a mace to open the door to the Fighter riddle. I really only trained Ninja. With low stats for strength and dexterity, you miss so much it's hard not to gain Fighter levels.

If you were playing only to get to the Maleficient Guild ending, training to EE Master is overkill.
My ending stats were:
name health stamina mana str dex wis vit am af
curse 954 351 288 38 59 40 40 44 44 (flamebain,dexhelm,night shadow,elven mail)
curtwo 966 344 288 40 50 38 39 46 42 (flamebain, dexhelm, elven mail)
curthre 964 356 288 48 51 39 40 45 32 (elven aketon, night shadow, powertowers)
curfour 971 371 288 40 49 38 43 44 45 (flamebain, night shadow, coral poleyn)
The 'banish' option of the Bone Doll is a MON dispell non-material being. I almost didn't need a vorple blade for most of the dungeon.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

It is hard to believe,after actually finishing this game once, that I find myself 'totally in the dark' at all the options and extras I've never even heard of in this great game.

The Night Shadow. Does this cloak help that much? I must not have checked stats, or I might have made use of this interesting piece of clothing.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Phoenix and Antman: How long does it take for you guys to get through a game now, from start to finish?

I remember the first time I ever tried hurrying to win original DM. That was before I had ever heard of a 'speed' run.
It seems it took nearly 14-hours.
That was with no internet, as well as knowing no other person who had ever played DM past the second floor.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The night shadow cloak gives +8 to Dexterity. Elven mail gives +1 to Dexterity and the Elven aketon gives +2 to Dexterity. Elven armor is roughly half the weight of mithril.

Game time varies upon what I'm trying to accomplish, but it has been gettting progressively shorter. Mophus's Quest alone adds almost a day. A complete playthrough of one champion with all the Guildmaster quests would take days to watch even at high speed. I've never really kept track of time, so I'd need Paul's help to determine the actual time from the game. From one of my complete games, the internal time was 1780379 with 617072 moves.

I'm currently attempting a speed run to unlock the guilds given what I just learned from the Maleficient guild run. I've already unlocked three fighter doors and two wizard and priest doors and my champion (Leif) is only an apprentice fighter and neophyte ninja and wizard.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Wow, Phoenix. I had no idea it took so long for a play-through for someone who had won a number of times.
Getting through DM (I tend to use one champion to get to the screamer room, then go back for another champion to finish the game)
doesn't take all that long, especially if I don't stop to do everything possible in the game (which I generally do).
I've never actually timed myself, but a decent afternoon would surely be long enough (no 14-hour play-a-thons).

Considering the time it took me to actually finish Conflux, this one time, I'd guess about four years might do it. Ha.
Well, maybe four weeks? Probably a trillion moves, if I were lucky.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I play the Challenge. Take one of the guides and complete the Challenge to 130 points. Then add Mophus, Leyla, and Halk to the party and train them up to UM Master. Then use the Emerald of Fate to add Gothmog and train eveyone up to EE Master and then complete all four Guildmaster quests. After that check the levels for anything you missed before going down to the Zoo. The Zoo goes almost to the bottom of the dungeon. Then you will have traversed the majority of Conflux outside of the Hells , the Cruel Pit, and Deathtrap dungeon. It could be done faster by adding the Guildmasters as soon as you unlock their mirrors, but it's more of a challenge to use the single guide.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Any 'guide' preference?
Challenge: You mean to take the scroll on the guild floor and accomplish certain quests and pick up some special items? I've never paid any attention to this Challenge until this last time. I may have to open up my last saved game and actually look at the scroll (which I at least saved this time around) to see how many points I had.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

As far as the guides go, it depends on how difficult you want it. I used to think that Gando was the hardest, but now I think it's Zed, becuase he's so average. Leif is the easiest.

Yes, use need to keep the Challenge scroll in your inventory to get the point notification.

The Challenge is as follows:

1 POINT: 0/26
========
- For each air-rune activated scroll (5 points total)
- For each flask (6 points total)
- For each funereal weapon (7 points total)
- Meet lich Vecna
- Kill the mothers of the egg chamber
- find the furs trader
- Get the scorching silk whip
- Enter the forges
- Get the dwarven treasure
- Survive the Trial
- Win the circus prize 99

3 POINTS: 0/30
=========
- For each cerberus (9 points total)
- for each piece of the dragon armour (15 points total)
- Get the weapon of Druafang
- Get the burning whip of the Balrog

5 POINTS: 0/35
=========
- Find the kitchen lab of Solune
- Find the cursed armoury
- Find the long lost wand
- Ransack the white chambers
- Get the coral poleyn
- Save the besieged town
- Get a FIERY cerberus

10 POINTS: 0/40
==========
- Kill Xanathar
- Recover the Crown of Kings from the Archmaster of Mampang.
- Free the leader of the Council and kill the traitor.
- Kill all the council members.

15 POINTS: 0/60 (Guildmaster Quests)
==========
- Collect the three Relics of Power. (Leyla's Quest)
- Find a Cure for the Curse of the Darc Armor. (Halk's Quest)
- Take the control over the legion of Balrogs. (Gothmog's Quest)
- Banish the Hordes of Demons from our Plane and return. (Mophus's Quest)

===============
Total: 0/191

A single guide can get 130 points, but you need the Guildmasters for the last 61.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

As most Conflux players know, champions are initially restrained from leveling up until all five Guild doors are opened. I just completed a series of guide "speed runs" from the begining of the game until the unlocking of all the Guilds. My results are as followes:

Gando: total time 89693 moves 25110
Iaido: total time 87470 moves 25659
Leif: total time 39629 moves 11853
Zed: total time 80292 moves 23348

I'm sure these times and number of moves can be beat, but as you can see. Leif is clearly the winner. There's just an extra amount of effort needed to get that last Mace with the other Guides. In every run, I managed to stay below neophyte in Preist.

I've saved my playfiles if anyone is interested in watching them.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

If I can get the playfiles, I will tidy them up and post them at:
http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Games/C ... ption.html

I wonder if the Conflux wiki:
https://dmwiki.atomas.com/wiki/Conflux
should reference the various playbacks available.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Are we talking about the playfile.log(s) or one of your mini-installations like Antman's movie? There is a link to your site on the main page. Do you want direct links to these files on your site? I wouldn't have done that without your permission. I'll send you the files.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Long lost wand: Is that the wand that seems to be hanging in the air, early in the game?

I never figured that (branch, as I recall) puzzle out.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

MasterWuuf wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:07 pm Long lost wand: Is that the wand that seems to be hanging in the air, early in the game?
If you found the room with the screamers just below the Cellar, then you found the right place.
MasterWuuf wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:07 pm I never figured that (branch, as I recall) puzzle out.
Are we talking about Supplies for the Strong?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

RE: Phoenix (Supplies for the Strong). That wasn't what I had in mind.

The stairs that lead from the guild floor, down several floors to the room with the wall-switch that opens the sewers (nasty place to find accidentally).
Around the far corridor, there is a 'hanging' branch or wand.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

It's just a decoration.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

At least I can sleep better, knowing it wasn't a simple riddle that showcased my ineptitude.

I enjoyed that section. Fighting and blasting my way through the many creatures in that area was a real challenge.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Spoiler
That section of the Sewers is only usefull for getting the flamebain from the pit.
The Sewers can be a challenge depending upon when the level is activated. These days, I've taken to dropping Trollins down Pit D. The disease factor is much lower with wip008 than in previous versions. Once you clear out the Trollin's nest, the whole level is much more tame.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I had not given thought to luring creatures to their doom with Pit D. Great and creative idea to keep in mind for the future.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

There are a whole host of shooters and pits that can be strategically used to remove creatures. I've been practicing telefragging chewers in the Mildew section of the Guild level.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I'm a little disappointed with myself, given the way 'old baldy' is dropped to his doom.
And it was a little gratifying, hearing his dying scream, as well.
"Wuuf's big brother"
jiri
Novice

Post by jiri »

When I was child I played Dungeon master on my Atari ST. Few month ago I found Conflux and I enjoy it a lot.
But now I am lost in "Recover the Crown of Kings from the Archmaster of Mampang" quest. I was able to reach Tower of Pits. I am not able to pass second room there (first room was simple). Is it just timing issue or kind of trick I need to apply? Do I need to put any items to alcoves?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Hello and welcome! I don't remember, but you can search this very thread. Beowuuf once gave this hint:
You know how the tower traps you inside it, and so you have to jump down a pit to escape? Well, this means there is a certain square that is probably blocking you.

So, perhaps if you stop beside it, and have a good long think while being observant, some inspiration may hit
Not sure if it's the very same place...

Tell us about your progression!
jiri
Novice

Post by jiri »

Thank you for your hint. I followed it and I was really hit by inspiration.
Another question: How can I create e.g. Fruity Wine? I tried to follow description in "Speciality Wines" of Conflux/Alchemy Guide. I have Sar Wine in one hand and Spitter Berry in second hand but I see no "mix" action (only throw). On the other hand I am able to use e.g. Boulder+Moonstone Necklace+grind to create Selenium. Is there any special scroll/action to unlock "mix" action?
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

There are SAR wines and there are SAR wines. To make the specialty wines you need plain SAR wine. You cannot make specialty wines with a specialty wine (Wine of Titans, Egg wine, etc...) To my knowledge, there are only 5-6 regular plain SAR wines.
jiri
Novice

Post by jiri »

Ok, thanks for clarification. It ruins my plan to create Mushy Wine to get rid of random factor percentage which is use to cure disease. I think I will use Juicy Infusion instead.
My party Leif, Iaido, Gando, Zed is trained in same manner. So theirs skill/levels are similar. With one exception. Leif is now Archaster wizard (others are = Master Wizards). From time to time Leif gained wizard levels for free (without clear reason, no spell casted, no magic weapon in hand), I am not able to find out why it is so. My first feeling was that it connected to philosophal stone but apparently it is not so. I exchange all items/wearing between Leif and Iaido but nothing changed. Do you have any ideas what could be reason for it?

What is effect of "Ultimate Sacrifice."? I am able to cast it but only effect I see is damage of caster.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Even though the percentages are listed for wines, in practice, I haven't found them all that usefull for curing disease. Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've never had any wine cure a disease. Serum and Ichor have always been my choice for removing diseases.

What version of Conflux are you playing? There was a bug in one of the earlier versions that caused wizard exp gain. The philosophal stone is only used to change SAR and silver coins into GOR coins.

Re: Ultimate Sacrifice
You answered your own question. It's primary use is in Gothmog's quest to kill the rest of your party.
jiri
Novice

Post by jiri »

What version of Conflux are you playing?
I am playing Conflux_3.5_B8.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Yeah, that's a really old version. Diseases are much harder to cure than in later versions. WIP_008 is the latest version.
jiri
Novice

Post by jiri »

In such case I did stupid mistake during download. I was thinking that B8 is best/latest version ;-) (I was afraid of WIP - "work in progress" version)

1. Is there any special goal in Chamber of Oblivion? I seen no benefit in being killed by Death. I am able to return to guils via Cemetary and I managed to open gate to "deepest levels of the dungeon".

2. I found kind of nice zoo there (weak monsters in cells) and I was able to easily reach end with three pressure pads and "mirror on the wall". Mirror consumes one ven egg + mirror of dawn but it has no visible effect. Can you please give me any hint what should I do there?

3. I finished all normal quests with exception of Emerald of Fate and The Quest to Save The Besieged Town. As far as I understand there is no option to try them more than once. I was able to reach three game endigs (Council members, kill the Traitor, Archmaster of Mampang). Is there anything important I missed? (before I start new game and try to finish Guild Leader Quests or Maleficient Guild Quest)
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Re: Chamber

No. It's just another place. If Death kills you, you can retrieve the champion with a helion.

Re: Zoo

That's the bottom of the dungeon and it's unfinished.

What problem are you having with saving the town?

If you obtain the Emerald of Fate, you can use it to "drop" a champion and select another. This would allow you to complete one of the guildmaster quests. I would recommend against Mophus's quest since you've travelled to the bottom of the dungeon. The elemental planes get quickly populated with creatures making them much harder to complete. The Maleficient Guild quest is very difficult and has to be selected from the start, but it can be done.

If you play the Competion, you visit the majority of the dungeon. To get the maximum number of points, you need to play with a single champion, unlock the guilds, and use the Emerald of Fate to swap out the guide with a guildmaster.