Fuse Choas Does Effect other than End as Victory(CSBuild)

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Fuse Choas Does Effect other than End as Victory(CSBuild)

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

How do I make an effect other than End as Victory for if Chaos Get's Fused? This would probably be DSA, right?
I'm a boy, unlike my avatar.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

At the moment I don't believe you can. The effect that is generated when Chaos is fused is in the game engine. DSAs are only as powerful as Paul makes them - I oculd be wrong, but I believe he would need to find the signal/code that triggers the ending, and have it interrupted and send a message to a new type of DSA filter that could then process and interrupt the effect, and then be programmed to do things with that message.

What do you actually want to happen? Do you just want Chaos not be be able to be fused? Do you want him to be able to be 'fused (and if som to what effect) but not have the game end?
There is a party attack filter now (right, or did I dream that engine modification being released), so I believe you could intercept a message like 'fuse' and have it do something to Chaos if he was standing right infront (like delete him and add a Lord Order). This would be possible now and wouldn't require Paul to research the code.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I'm trying to make it so that when you fuse Chaos, a door opens and the end game is down that hallway.
I'm a boy, unlike my avatar.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Why must you go down the corridor? It might be easier, for now, to either leave the original fuse chaos ending, or have your original 'kill' chaos idea then it lets you walk out of the door

On your own, if you really want this effect, I suspect you would want to use a party attack DSA that acts when the fuse is used, with perhaps another one verifying the party is right infront of Chaos and walls/flux cages are around him, then have another one being activated that recreates the fuse animation (remove Chaos, add order, move a fireball to explode on the square).
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

The kill chaos idea, now that I read my story again and let it bring me back to an event in the dungeon, doesn't fit the story. So what would this DSA code be in the second paragraph?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, you'd have to do it yourself, this is new science here : )

Probably a logical sequence in a DSA of &DELETE <Chaos ID> &ADD <ID of an order trapped somewhere> then &MOVE <fireball missile> - this last thing crashes the engine just now though
rain`
Artisan

Post by rain` »

You could do it by making an attack filter DSA that checks every time a player uses the FUSE option to see if lord chaos is directly infront of the player and every other square around chaos is either a wall or has a fluxcage, which then cancels the attack, autoslays lord chaos, and opens a door. This will not trigger the ending but may require a hefty knowledge of DSA's to write.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

every other square around chaos is either a wall
I think he can jump a single wall. I think you need two.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

While Chaos can jump a wall, I think it only matters that he is blocked in when the fuse happens - of course if you aren't fast enough then he'll move or teleport away
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

right beo
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I just read that again. If chaos is by a one-space-wall, it won't work. If he is by a two-space-wall, it will work, from what I understood from my handbook.
&DELETE <Chaos ID> &ADD <ID of an order trapped somewhere> then &MOVE <fireball missile>
I think I am ready for this, just got a few questions that I see now:

1. What does < and > mean?
2. Where do I find these ID things?

I'm okay without the fireball thing if it won't work btw.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I was just using <> as a bracket to seperate the 'number' - the above isn't direct DSA code, that was just pseudo-code to show the logic of the operation

The ID number of the item should be visible at the front of every object and creature when you the contents of a tile in CSBuild
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Do you mean "you view the contents of a tile in" instead of
you the contents of a tile in
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Ok. Now it makes a bit more sense
Now that I'm doing this, I see some more questions

What would be the ID of the order trapped somewhere thing?
What do you mean by <fireball missile> (I mean in the <> things)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You would create a Lord Order somewhere, trapped. You can then view its ID. You then use value when &ADDing a copy to where Chaos used to be. You'd also want a Grey Lord and perhaps another Chaos.

The whole fireball thing was just an idea to create an explosion that would be vaguely like the fuse. For this you would find the position of Order then move a newly generated missle to the square to create an explosion. Since zyx asked for this effect recently, I would not assume you can do it yet. Perhaps you can settle for adding and deleting Chaoses and Orders, with zoom sounds generated at the same time (using &SOUND I believe) before finally &ADDing a Grey Lord, perhaps with an additional &SAY to have the phrase 'thank you for freeing me, now run to the exit' or something.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Ah, that won't work, not saying you have a bad idea, it just doesn't fit the story. That is stairs that you run to.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, just look at fuse animation yourself, break it apart logically and think of everything you want to create a similar effect, then go for it.
Last edited by beowuuf on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I was talking about the &SAY thing. But yes, i could look for my own effects. If I can find some nice DSA to let it work.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I am noticing something strange with the ID of my Chaos... it is "02e0" and all others that I have looked at don't have letters. Is this because he starts on a teleporter or something?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, the id is written in hexidecimal, not decimal - hexidecimal numbers go from 0 - 15 (10 = 1, 11 = b etc) instead of 0 - 9 in each column, so a column is a multiple of 16 not 10

So 02e0 in decimal = 0x16x16x16 + 2x16x16+15x16+0 = ...umm, calculator and brain far away, but a number anyway...

Edit: 752
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

So that Chaos' ID is 752? Thankyou.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Better get a new calculator.

(((0*16)+2)*16+14)*16+0 = 736
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Oh, no wonder it still is complaining that somethings wrong in my program...lets see if this works...NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Here's my code that it's complaining about

Code: Select all

L1 &DEL 736
in the first thing...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

oops, e = 14 *embarrassed*I did that earlier too in my test dungeon

What exactly are you doing ADDF? If it complains somethign is wrong, it probably won't be the ID, it will probably be a spelling error. And if the programme crashes, you will probably have the too few literals ahead of the command
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

It should be:

Code: Select all

L736 L1 &DEL
&DEL takes 2 parameters and you only put one before executing &DEL.

Also, 736 alone doesn't mean anything. You must put L before to store 736 in the stack: L736

Lastly, the second parameter of &DEL is the location, that is the place where is standing the object you want to delete. You probably don't want to put 1, but the right number depends on how and when your DSA is triggered...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As I said earlier, you apparently cannot delete a monster - so even when this works, Chaos will still be there (sicne it soudns like L736 is you Chaos ID, right?)
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

That's what I'm understanding from Master Superior Gothmog it looks like!
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally got it to say there's nothing wrong with the program when leaving DSA thing. Thanks Master Superior!
Now lets see if I can get &ADD
Oh man, I keep thinking add is the begining of my name. It's confusing.

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”