Just fired up DMJ for the first time in two years!

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
isamu99
Novice

Just fired up DMJ for the first time in two years!

Post by isamu99 »

I just fired DMJ up for the first time today after 2 years of not having played on my old PC.

WOW!!!!!!! I had forgotten how great this clone is! Seriously...I know there are the die hard DM'ers out there who love the original and want to stay true it's roots, but you gotta admit DMJ is an astonishing port with so many easy to use features! I love being able to save my game so easily and instantly, fiddle with the brightness, import my own hero portraits, dungeon graphics, monster graphic, items, etc etc intuitively. It's just fantastic!

I admit I had a very hard time figuring out how to get this damn game to run since it's been a couple years LOL. Couldn't locate where my java.exe was. Plus, according to the readme, it says you have to type "-cp . dmnew" after your java.exe, but what it doesn't tell you is you have to leave out the quotation marks for "-cp . dmnew". I had vaguely remembered this, thank God. :)

Anyway after firing up DMJ as it is, I imported the "Cavey Map" from Germanny. Man, what a fantastic change! The art gives the dungeon a dark, eery and cold atmosphere...something that the original just doesn't have IMHO. I hope Germanny is still around and decides to do more cold looking walls, perhaps give the surface more definition I dunno LOL. I only dabbled in the game for a few minutes but I'll be getting back to it!

Anyhow wismerhilll and Solbal.... please continue development of your DMJ mods project. I can't imagine how cool multiplayer and a 3D engine would be. I certainly do not feel like going back to the original game(RTC or CSBWin) after seeing how awesome DMJ looks and plays. There's a time we all must move on and I think DMJ warrants this step forward.

Bring on more DMJ mods and dungeons!! :D
Playing Dungeon Master + listening to Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me by The Cure = RAPTURE!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nice to see enthusiams for DMJ, since the RTC and CSBwin forums are based here but the DMJ forum isn't, so less mentions of what was the first major released DM clone
germanny
Novice

Post by germanny »

Hi!
isamu99 = hope Germanny is still around
.. of course i am, but i haven´t much time to post here often.. but now i want to thank you for your fine words ;)
What you mention is exactly the reason why i have done those gfx for DMJ. Unfortunately DMJ is off development and no one is willing to fix some issues... this is really bad!
Currently i´m involved in another Game Project i wouldnt talk much about for now. But it goes in that direction and is not mutated to 3d :)

greetz @all
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

germanny wrote:Hi!
What you mention is exactly the reason why i have done those gfx for DMJ. Unfortunately DMJ is off development and no one is willing to fix some issues... this is really bad!
That is not true. I'm working on it. Do you mind if I use your GFX ? We sure should find a mutual arrangement, i.e. fame and money for me, naked women for you.
Wismerhill.
germanny
Novice

Post by germanny »

Hi Wismerhill, ...ehm.*cough*. is it possible to change to rich naked women ? ;)
-beside that- this sounds good, how long did u work on that proj ?
Did u fixed those fullscreen+window refresh probs ?
Under jre 1.5 there are some sound errors, too.

Go on with it! 8)
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

Rich naked women are harder to find, you know. I'll see what can be done. After all, if I'm famous and rich... Hold on, I've got Robbie Williams on the phone, we should work out something. [...] Do you mind if those women are famous too ? Robbie is telling me about a blond chick that used to be with looser named Tom.

I'm working on it since 03/2005, with some months off because of hollidays, day job, World of Warcraft, some serious stuff like that.

The refresh issues should be gone as the renderer has already been rewritten. It is now fully realtime, i.e. refreshed several times per sec.

I'll check those sounds errors too, thanks for the info. OpenAL should fix those.
Wismerhill.