Question about Copyright

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Question about Copyright

Post by Gambit37 »

Is it legal to paint a picture that's a copy of a copyrighted work (other painting, photo, whatever) and then sell it?

Because the painted copy is a unique work, I'm unsure.
Last edited by Gambit37 on Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

i presume it would be provided you have permission from the owner of that picture, copy or not, its still copyrighted
Immortal Dungeoneer.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you could do a rendition of I suppose but would need to change it enough to support it being your own. I heard recently from someone in a line up I was in, that someone was sued for making an image with the starbucks mermaid in it.. she had all this other merchendice and it said "consumer whore".. Anyway, even with her talking on a cell and with shopping bags etc.. she wasn't changed enough to not represent their logo and so they sued him.

however, if you wanted to do the mona lisa.. I'm not sure that has copyright on it anymore..

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's not for something I'm doing.

I was searching for Hed kandi stuff on eBay. It's a record label who's covers are beautifully illustrated by Jason Brooks. I found some paintings of his covers done by an amateur. They are apparently oil paintings around 1 metre square and are being sold for a hefty sum.

Is that OK or not?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I would assume no...