Cheating with CSBWin

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
WuufRulez

Cheating with CSBWin

Post by WuufRulez »

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this after this system pair (CSBUILD/CSBWIN) has been out for so many years.

There doesn't seem to be a way to just edit the party members in my save game?

I'm a lay user. I love the original game. CSBuild seems to let me change everything except for my characters!

(Although, I noticed there seem to be some cryptic /ABBPPHPSDFC/ codes in the portrait names, but I already chose my characters! They're on level 5 now! )

I'm surprised that I couldn't find another post asking about this. I guess I'm the only person who ever thought of cheating or asking about it?

- Max
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, you aren't the only person to ask about editing in game characters - Paul won't do the research himself, but will happily add an editor if someone else does the work - no one has volunteered, so there you go

The adsadasdas etc at the end of the portrait names is the character stats, but that doens't help you after you have chosen then
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

What I said was that I would add an 'export/import'
feature if anyone will provide an editor for the
'exported' characters. I have to see the editor
actually working (not just a idea in someone's head)
and, to that end, I said I would provide a sample
for them to work on while developing their editor.
That was a couple years ago, I think.

Cheating is so completely unnecessary that I see no
reason to expend my time on such a useless task.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

You could always just use a memory editor designed for game cheating (Cheat Engine etc.)... poke as necessary and then save your game. :D
WuufRulez

Wow Paul :)

Post by WuufRulez »

"so completely unnecessary that I see no
reason to expend my time on such a useless task"

OUCH.

What I did was change the difficulty of all the levels to 15 (which seems to be the highest?) so I could level up much faster and play the game in a kind of 'super mode'. Also, did this using only WUUF as the only character.

Getting to << Master in each skill wizzing to level 5 was not a big problem. And it was alot of fun.

Now I'm on level 5. And levelling past << Master even with x15 multiplier is unrewarding. I want to reach ArchMaster in all skills to see what Wuuf would be like. An experiment which normaly takes months of hard addiction.

If CSBuild could go above x15 difficulty multiplier, that might work for me.
With an editor, I was thinking of just granting them a buttload of experience, and maybe leveling up on the next use of the skill, to speed me up a bit.

Also curious to reset skills to zero repeatedly to keep leveling them to master, so watch how the stats distribute.

I guess my point is... I figured there must be A WAY to do it. Hex value positions in the same game data avaialble and consistent?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you aren't wishign to make the game you are playing slightly easier for yourself, then I don't understand why you need a character editor to do this when you can create an initial chaarcter so powerful that he will level up from Mon master to arcvhmaster when he stubs his toe. You do this through the initial texts placed beside a champion in the dungeon.dat, adfvanced edit will let you add all the experience you like to the mirror champion

And yes, there is an area for the saved game data, DMute already does this character editing perfectly well in normal saved games
WuufRulez

I tried DMUTE -

Post by WuufRulez »

DMUTE cannot read my save game files from csbwin :(

I'm still surprised that with all the advanced features offered here a simple stats editor isn't part of the shabang :)

I want the character to start with NORMAL starting stats, and then level up to archmaster ASAP so I can try playing the game with a single archmaster character, using the games own rules of leveling, not some hacked uber character with max stats.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No it can't, I was talking about an atari emulated saved game. CSBwin format is now too different from normal dm/csb format

Paul already said exactly why an editor isn't available - if you see the amount of posts for new features, and also guess his real life workload, you can see why he woulnd't want to spend his own time on an editor part that doens't help people create dungeons

And really, what you want to do does not have anything to fdo with a charatcer editor then. You want to be able to apply, as you said, a high multiplier to levels beyond the x15. Since no dungeon designer has asked for this (I oculdn't see a reason why 15 mudifier would not be enough for any dungeon), then I guess it would be considered a low priority feature

I really don't understand the difference between simply starting the game with an archmaster charatcer, and spending time trainign to get an archmaster charatcer - both will be unneccessarily powerful for the dungeon, and the archmaster character you leveled won't have any real additional benefits. Everyone has done the experiment in their time, I beleive - I had my old DM party sditting in the rat room area, and while reading, etc for a while I'd sleep them and fireball etc to get archmaster wizards - nothing fun happened

The solution to your thing would be to train up a zero level person one level, note the stats, sytart a new dungeon with a person with those stats, but with experience away to tip to the next level, do something to level up, edit stats and start again, etc
Much less time than training, then you could jsut start the dungeon with an archmaster charatcer with the right stats

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”