Ninja leveling by throwing

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Relien

Ninja leveling by throwing

Post by Relien »

I have unpacked dm and started a new game. At the first stairs I tried throwing knives against the stairs to train ninja levels - it took 16 throws to reach Neophyte, another 16 to Novice, then 32 to Apprentice and 64 to Journeyman. Then I started another party, maybe doing some saves with the previous one, and it took 64 throws just to reach Neophyte. I unpacked dm again and started from scrach, it was ok - 16, 16, 32, 64 and I stopped. Later, with this party after a couple of saves and loads I did about 270 throws with no result. Did anybody encountered this?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Some characters start with more experience than others. And different levels have a different experience multiplier bonus. Ordinarily you cannot see this experience.
Gothmog
Neophyte

Post by Gothmog »

In the oiriginal DM I throw all the Screamer Slices that I get, by the time I get to the stairway heading down to the second level of the dungeon all of my characters are Adept Ninjas
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Personally I'd wait until I got to the worm level, where the exp multiplier is lot higher, and punch things.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Punching is usually very fast. It's actually not a bad way to kill things when your sword strikes do crap for damage. :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Personally I don't bother training *bites tongue*
Punching actual creatures will get you nice levelling up and stats while being able to play, I find
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I think certain dungeons/player experience may entail the use of training.

In a new dungeon it is sometimes worth getting a few extra levels so you know that fireball won't fart, and the axe you raise high will not fall on your own head.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Why? We've played the games to death so much that surely the unknown, and having to be back at l;evel 1, is much more fun and challenging than starting every dungeon knowing you need to stand beside a stairwell for thirty minutes nefore you go down a level, and then just blowing through carefully balanced puzzles and traps?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Its always nice to have a fireball and to chop! Training in moderation is fair. I refuse to stand in front of stairs and watch my daggers slide back down, but a few well placed war cries, a priest level and at least some basic level offensive spell is just common sense. You fur ball!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, it just becaoms a bug bear of mine when people train and then complain : ) Yeah, training as you play the game is fine - war cry with a charatcer as you fight, punch when you could chop, have a mana giving device in a charatcer's hand and keep throwing spells as you move around, it's all good! I just feel when you sit around for ages building stuff up, it's gone a bit far </rant>
Relien

Post by Relien »

I just trained some ninja levels in the beginning to get some hp since I reincarnate my characters, and I was curious about this odd thing I described. It seems I am the only one with this problem, nevermind, I stopped training and started to actually play :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Basically you will need a certain amount of XP per level, and the requirements doubles for each level above

I think it is 500 neophyte, 1000 novice, (so 16 throws = roughly 500 xcp then) 200 apprentice, etc

Also though, each level has a certain multiplier - so if you retreated back up to the Hall of champions to resume your throwing say, you would find it much, much slower than on the next level

Don't know if there is anything in the code that stops certan actions being as affective in later levels...nothing PaulS or anyone else has pointed out yet. Be interesting and cool if so - swinging a sword shouldn't be good training for a middle range fighter, pushing themselves with melee etc should be the way to go, etc