Lost

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Lost

Post by Gambit37 »

Anyone been following this? I've just watched the series one finale, and while the ending was not unexpected given the way the series has (not) developed, it still rates as the most anticlimactic, rubbish endings of any series I have seen.

Incredibly disappointing from the creator of Alias -- a series that has been continually entertaining, exhilirating, interesting and down right fun. (Well, the first two series that I've watched anyway).

Let's hope series 2 of Lost is a bit more interesting.
Last edited by Gambit37 on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've seen one or two episodes of Lost. Not really into it. Been watching Alias since the beginning and thus have watched all four seasons so far. That's a cool prog :).
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

My flatmates are really into it, so into it infact, that they've been following the American releases by *ahem* 'obtaining' them from the interweb. I think they're halfway through series 2 now and in a very kind and considerate manner, spoil EVERYTHING by talking about it all the time. They're obsessed and absolutely love it... Apparently the second series does get more interesting but even more confusing at the same time.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I have seen the first half season on DVD recently and really got into it (friend is heavily into it)

The best thing he had to say about the very first episode of season two was 'we;;, at least it resolves the cliffhanger' but otherwise te season does get good again.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I know several people who really loved it when it started, but I haven't heard much from them after the initial hype. I tried watching an episode or two, but didn't get into it at all.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, it's very, very slow and doesn't reveal much in each episode, but you do kind of what to know more, so it works well in getting you to watch the next episode. The fact that I've just watched 6 months of it though, without much really happening is very strange, compared to how quickly other shows develop and mature.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeha, I think watching a whole boxed set rather than each week helped. My friend also warned me there can be a few weeks of lull but then you get a fantastic episode again.

I think the fact that some shows are the next day or later that day, they can't have huge leaps in character, etc without stretching credibility - but it's good, as you are slowly learnign the characters
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I watched the whole season 1 and the first 8 episodes of season 2 with some friends.
We found the first season to be very slow: far too much flashbacks, many of them seen several times. The series gets better with the later episodes (from 17 - 25).
Season 2 is much better, more things happen in each episode.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:Well, it's very, very slow
Hmm... how about the next step, a "show about nothing"?

(What, nobody likes Seinfeld?)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That shows gains a whole new level when you realise that George is really the star of the show and pretty much everything in Seinfeld is based on something Larry David/ Jerry Seinfeld did. Including pitching a 'show about nothing'
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I never watched Seinfeld but have heard so many good things about over the years that I feel a boxed set DVD purchase coming on.

But I can't afford it! I still have 4 episodes of Firefly to watch, and I just bought Season 1 of X-Files which i started watching. I only ever saw the first three seasons on TV and at the moment Virgin have the box sets for £20 each! Still waiting to get a cheap copy of Alias season 3 too.... and there was me thinking I didn't watch much TV.....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'd stop with x-files after season 4 probably. Seinfeld has 11 series, so probably best to wait for that to come down in price, with s;peical '2 for 1' episodes.

And lol, Serenity the film will be out for UK soon, need to watch those last Firefly epsiodes!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Anyway, back to Lost -- Series 2 started in the Uk last week and I've already watched the first 3 episodes. It's far better than series one in the sense that it picks up the pace and a lot more has happened and both explained/revealed more but also poses new questions.

I especially love how Channel 4 have put adverts for the Hanso Foundation actually in their ad breaks...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It loses something later on I have felt, but the second to last episode was a really good sereies one feeling epeisode - pity the last one has now aired! (I think)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Last one? what are you babbling on about?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is a mystical place where some people crash landed many years ago, sending out strange signals, called...America.

America showed 2x20 last week, I haven't seen it yet so dunno if it was the season two finale yet...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, right, sorry, I am a noob. :oops:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

pwnd!!!111
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

You can flay me alive for this one . . . but I downloaded all of season one and what's been released of season two (up to episode 20). I haven't watched any of it yet.

The night before Easter, a couple of my friends were having orgasms just describing it in a garage after dinner, and my other friend said she was really getting into it. She asked me if I wanted to watch it with her, but it was like midnight at the time and my brain was hibernating, so I didn't reply. Anyway, I'm waiting for when she has some time, and then maybe I'll find out what has all you people dancing on the ceiling.

My hopes are not high. I generally hate syndicated programming. Anyone in the same boat have an opinion?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I liked it at first, because all the hypothesis were stimulating. I even managed to ignore the stereotypical characters.
But then human stupidity used as a mechanism to generate tension and unsolved situations in each episode, over and over, worn out my enthousiasm. Besides, whatever happens to the people, or whatever discovery they do, the only thing that is certain is that it won't affect them in the very least in the next episodes, as if nothing occured.
With time I finally understood that I was watching sheer randomness (unless everything could be explained by utterly surnatural means, which would be the same)...

Too bad Firefly was discontinued! This serie was way better, imho.