Favourite Phrase?

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lee
Artisan

Favourite Phrase?

Post by Lee »

What's your favourite phrase? And also, do you ever use it?

I like a few but they're too good to just bust out in normal conversation as it would lessen the awesomeness of it's meaning, they have to be nurtured and conserved like a fine wine first. Then, and only then may they be brought out into the right conversation at the right time for full effect. (I sound weird :). ) Someone must know what I mean lol.

In any case, my favourite phrase at the moment has to be 'Done for V0.35' :D.

(Which is nothing like any of the phrases I was referring to in the big paragraph, but my favourite nonetheless. Brings a tingle to the ol' spine!)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

"would it be possible to..."
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I remember back in secondary school, a friend of mine had read a 2000AD comic strip where someone with a grenade in their mouth had uttered the imortal words 'Awww fumgh...' and he thought this was a brillaint one to use in times of extreme badness

As detailed in another post, I used 'dammit Ganod' for ages at one point due to a DM related experience

Currently I just remmebered a phrase that I noticed during New Years, that is one of the coolest ever, that me and my friend mocked the whole time, and is provided by Burger King, is the phrase 'Kong my Whopper!'
If that isn't the best line to use confronted by something annoying, unexpected or awe-insiring, I don't know what is. The only time I wouldn't use it is when I want extra bacon and stuff on my BK whopper - I would go the cowardly route my friend did and say 'can I have the Kong option' please

I also think that subject line has cropped up in a few of the spam threads on the RTC general forum
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

My bad, wasn't intending for this to be spam.

In secondary school, for reasons unbeknownst to me we used to say 'It's all about the sandwich' in response to pretty much anything. 'Why does blahblah?' 'Coz it's all about the sandwich son, the sandwich'. :?

Also, although not a phrase, there was this Indian kid in our primary school class and went to our secondary school after too called Meenish. Me and my best friend became obsessed with this name, not the person, just the name was funny to us for whatever reason and it's stuck with us for what is roughly 14 years now. 'You're such a Meenish!' ...we also substitute the name Meenish for random words in songs if we're singing, or just general talk in a conversation. 'I've created a Meenish, but nobody wants to see Meenish no more, they wanna see Meenish, I'm chopped Meenish!'

Immaturity is often underrated. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I meant the phrase 'kong my whopper' = we get alot of sex spam on the RTC general forum. Actually, on these ones too now

And lol, great, now I have a new phrase with such a tenuous link to use! No one will understand it! YES!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

"Fancy going for a pint?" is my favourite phrase.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

My brother frequently uses: When that reaches the North Sea, it will be a danger to shipping.

Stolen from Bottom...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I frequently use "XYZ is completely overrated", where XYZ includes anything from hitting a monster in a RPG to eating or breathing.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not a phrase, but an intonation - I hadn't realised I said 'Ok' sometimes like end guy from the 'weetabix bunch' animated averts of, ooh, 10 or 15 years ago. It got pointed out recently I said it weirdly, and I twigged where it came from. Except I'm getting mocked for saying it like that

DAMN YOU WEETABIX! DAMN YOU TO HELL!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Heh, wow that brought back memories. I loved those weetabix commercials!

I don't think I have a favourite phrase that I use regularly. I do quote a lot of stuff from films in my day to day language but most people never get the references so it seems a bit pointless. And a lot of Blackadder quotes too...

I have a great fondness for the number 37 though, after having watched Clerks so many times since it first came out, I just love the response to the line it's used in. Too rude to repeat here!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

In a row?

Yeah, I find blackadder intonations and phrases creeping into my thoughts and speech too.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I meant the whole phrase was too rude, but yes. ;)

Actually, I just realised I say "Well, quite!" fairly often in Blackadders voice. And I also use the phrase "you smelly bastard" a lot, but really that's just because I work next to a guy who has no shame about letting rip in public...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Anytime I heard the name bob, in my mind I have to go "so tell me...'bob'..."

Also, the phrases '...one tiny flaw...' 'it was bollocks...' have to be used

All with Rowan Atkinson intonation, of course
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh Blackadder, yeah that is cool - "Bob?" is one I used sometimes. And "A turnip, my lord.". I also quite often say "That's interesting..." á la Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Carribean). And erm I think I quote Scar quite often too (TLK). And probably loads of other stuff ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I forgot one of my favourite words...instead of something being an encumberance or a hinderance, it's an enbuggerment
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Ahh, so that's where the 37 comes from! ;) Let's make sure we don't talk about snowballs, even though it is winter...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I dunno about 37, but the number 47 is significant to me from watching Star Trek - there's a 47 hidden in most episodes in some form or another (on a display screen, when someone reads off a list of numbers, the age of a character, etc).
Oh and of course the number 42 is the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, I also just realised I cannot accept any EULA when installing anything without putting on the voice from Megatron out of Transformers: The Movie and going 'I accept your terms! I acceeeeeeeeeeeept'

Help me
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Transformers! Ha :D nice one.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

"Right on" or "rockin" depending on my frame of mind.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Mine is probably "Crap"... I only use it as a nrgative term though.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

There's a couple I forgot - I use "D'oh!" and "Woohoo!" pretty often ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh , I use 'woohoo' alot, enough that one of my friends got really pissed off

Oh, I keep saying 'as I said' or 'basically'...it's a disease...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I switch to different ones. Not sure why they become staples in my vocab, but usually they stop when someone points out I say it too often. "Left right and center" for example.. used to come out of my mouth a lot.. "They were going left, right and center.. you should have seen it" Then someone pointed it out.. and poof.. gone.. The most recent one was "pretty much" .. I make a good effort at not saying it now.

Perhaps I can adopt a new one.. how about "There's no use in beating a dead horse..... unless you're both a necropheliac and a beastialist" :shock:

nah.. that one might not go over well..
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

"Craptacular". And "Dumbf*ckistan."