ummm why cant i use DMjava.

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
disgruntled and po'd

ummm why cant i use DMjava.

Post by disgruntled and po'd »

I am gonna be really annoied if the people who made this java port have not made it xp compatible.....

well, i installed the correct java version (i now have 3 4 and 5 installed onb my computer0 yet still DMjava cannot find java 1.4 and ts really annoing me. WTH am i doing wrong and on xp, you cant insert anything into the start menu and trying to se up the shortcut produces all sorts of error messages HELP!!
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

It does work with XP, as I use it all the time.

You should search the forum before asking questions that have already been asked.

look at this thread http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 6736#46736

Try doing a right mouse click on the Start button and choose "explore all users" to bring up the program icon menus, and then find the Dmj program folder. Then follow what was said in the thread.

Could there also be a security rights setup that don't allow you to add or change things? Do you have admin rights to the pc?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I am gonna be really annoyed with people who's first post is a complaint about a free game.

Post by Guest »

Do I have admin rights on the pc..... *angry*

I am a 21 y/o living in my OWN flat with my OWN PC. You think i havnt tried all thats been listed in this forum....

it just wont do it... I had a friend who is a computer geek come and try it

It didnt work....

now ya see my problem...

Now, im gonna try and get some windows logs to show whats going on.

Post by Guest »

Hrmm my most profound appologies and humble beggings for forgiveness (i will sign up soon)

It appears that i missed that thread telling me not to put the -cp in there (which i what i was told to do in the readme *d'oh*

I am actually quite suprised my computer geek friend didnt spot it...

Again i am very sorry...

(though like most forums (including one i moderate for) you could do with being a lil nicer to newbs ESPECIALLY on a forum where help files are not arranges as stickies and could be 10 pages back i knw this one you pointed out isnt)

(pps i know its annoing when they ask questions that have all ready been asked but why should they spend hours trawling through back pages of posts)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The search function at the top should lets you find stuff - typing 'dmjava' into it and the first help topic six/seven posts down contained a solution

As a mod you understand how annoying it is when people ask the same question all the time pushing the help topics away to page 10, so then people who would normally search are forced to ask the question too. At least you didn't start a new thread.

We're generally friendly, but if you start out with a dig at the game - especially a nonsensical one as a) people know it is compatible so it had to be user problems, and b) the game came before XP - some people react badly. Alandale started this beofre I joined, and has worked damn hard, and so we're a little defensive for his project, same with CSBwin or RTC.

Flavours of solutions are scattered aroudn the forums, as no one finds the intial topic and adds to them, plus DMJava has its own large forum. If someone wants to collate the information, we'll happily make the sticky. No one has yet had time/inclination.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game now you can play it! There are a few custom dungeon availale through here and the encyclopaedia site too

Post by Guest »

ah im a bit narfed.. It still didnt work... I think its probably something to do with my computer rather than DMjava tbh which means i'll have to look at another version (which is a shame but these things cant be helped and since its nobodys fault except microsofts we can all be happy)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DMJava does seem to be a bit touchy with the Java version needed too, I'm not sure if a 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 would cause problems, etc
Either that or windows two will be conflicting, probably in a sideways way too : ( Good luck

Post by Guest »

Thanks. I think im getting a new pc soon anyways and this game is built for linux aswell (hurray for dual hardrives :D) i shall have l;inux on one HD and playm it from there :P problem solved. All credit to the creators though, its not their fault new versions of java screw up there program
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

though like most forums (including one i moderate for) you could do with being a lil nicer to newbs
We're perfectly friendly to those who show respect. You came in here with a bad attitude, so that immediately got my back up. That was your first post and you didn't even introduce yourself, just complained, about a FREE game no less. If you want help as a newbie then don't act like an ass, however annoyed you might be.

Anyway, it's nice to see you calmed down, so welcome to the forums and *please* register if you want further help as it's impossible to tell one Guest from another.

By the way, we have some rules which you should read:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=24291

Have fun! :)