[Custom dungeon] Conflux III: The Undercity [CSBWin] [Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)]

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
jason barnes
Novice

Post by jason barnes »

Wow, new conflux!!

Love the new noises, graphics, and Monster AI. I now have a reason to arm ALL my party members now.

Some observations:
It's possible with ninja-like reflexes to get that rope in the storeroom cellar.
Abusing that rope got me up to adept ninja but, I think I broke the game as none of my characters have gain any levels from clearing the temple, sewer, and the spider level. :roll:

The mace of order's bash doesn't hurt skeletons like the normal maces.
I also thought I saw Leif kill two skeletons with a SINGLE swing from the mace of order.

Is it normal for one character to consume more water/food than the others? Is this tied to the regeneration of hp/stam/mp?

Gaefusilfr? Is that the lucky coin of previous versions?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

1) Yes you can get the rope if you're quick!

2) Hmm, maybe you should try accessing more guild ranks. Send me our savegame, though, I will check that the xp mechanism is not broken. (bprieu*yahoo.com)

3) The mace of order less effective than normal maces: yes, that's perfectly normal. You'll discover later the reason, if you examine it carefully.

4) Double kill: a mace affecting masses, isn't it cool?

5) water/food: Probably tied by the kind of weapon he's using. Also, low vitality, high mana or big weight may increase the food and water consumption.

6) yes, gaefusilfr would mean "silver of fortune" in nordic, if I'm not mistaken.
jason barnes
Novice

Post by jason barnes »

ok sent the save game.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I checked, and except for the Ninja guild, you are limited by your low ranking. You still can level up, but at a slow rate. Obtaining higher rank in the guilds will help you.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Version k is out.

2 spells are fixed and you get some feedback about your experience progression.

Seems the version is stable enough to launch a competition, if there still are people interested.
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I'm just about to download it now.

This will be the very first time I've played Conflux III.

*rubs hands together in anticipation*
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

Zyx wrote:Version k is out.

2 spells are fixed and you get some feedback about your experience progression.

Seems the version is stable enough to launch a competition, if there still are people interested.
There is no way to upgrade to the new version with my existing savegames right?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

No, but the fix was already in version j. version k has just feedback about the experience
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I'm so bad at this game.

I get killed off by everything!

Where's the nearest Vi Altar?

I remember you saying something about training areas? What did you mean by that? Can you help a n00b out a little...?

*smiles and nods encouragingly*
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Don't feel n00bish for dying in Conflux...I had a few goes at Conflux II and died every time ;).
Um Master

Post by Des »

Conflux III is a very hard dungeon aimed to please expert dungeoneers. It is a superb effort and well worth perservering with. It is particularly tough at the start and you have to use cautious tactics when fighting monsters (I'm not very good at this). Oh and if you've got the horn, use it :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yes, the game is VERY hard. I know I kept dying every 3 minutes when I first played Conflux II a year ago. Just be very careful and patient. Try exploring the sewers relatively early, as the experience gained there is relatively high. As for the nearest VI altar, I am not sure if there is one before the Crypt, which is rather late (in fact, I never use VI altars but just reload the game if a character dies, but that's me).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There are infact three in the cellar area, you just need to know where to find them. One is easier than the rest!

I personally always say investiagte the storage area fully first rather than the cellars
jason barnes
Novice

Post by jason barnes »

I began playing in version i. Should I restart?

Also anyone have a clue about the whereabouts of the map codeword for the guild and temple levels. I so far have the codewords for the Cellar, Sewers, The Dwarven Mines, and Crypt levels.
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

DesBroDain wrote:I'm so bad at this game.

I get killed off by everything!

Where's the nearest Vi Altar?

I remember you saying something about training areas? What did you mean by that? Can you help a n00b out a little...?

*smiles and nods encouragingly*
I also was like 'What the....' when the first rat one-hit killed me :D, but I really like the challange and you will also get used to it. In the beginning it was very hard and I had to pick my fights carefully, but meanwhile my party has grown to 3 members (two guildleaders) and now it's a hackfest and the enemies are running for their lives instead vice versa :)

The only thing that kills me now are the traps most of the time and a few of the lower floor enemies. Regarding training areas, I think the places where certain monsters respawn are considered as a 'training place', because they keep coming and you can slay them on and on. You'll find no gym or fitness centre in the dungeon if it's what you associate with 'training places' ;)

Food and Water shouldn't be an issue at all, because there is an unlimited supply, almost too easy if you ask me, but it's ok.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

jason barnes wrote:I began playing in version i. Should I restart?
if you're already deep in the dungeon, then keep playing.
version j only fixes two optional spells. You can reach all the endings without even knowing their formula.

if you ever find of of these buggy spells, send me a savegame, I'll fix it.
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

Okay I'm a bit frustrated now. The game crashes and crashes and crashes nonstop. At first I thought these were only rare occassions and coincidence, but now I'm happy when I am able to play 10 minutes in a row without a reboot. I'll try to describe it as detailed as I can:

At the beginning it was all fine, it first started after venturing deeper in the dungeon and making some good progress. The cause of the complete reboots is the sound of the floorplates, switches, putting keys into locks etc. I think you know what I mean. That soft triggering sound which should be familiar to everyone. I step on a floorplate the sound kicks in and my screen turns black and I hear the triggering sound repeatedly like a machinegun for about 1-2 seconds and then it stops and my computer does a full reboot. It is NO other sound only that triggersound!

I'm closing my eyes and pray each time inserting keys into locks and stepping on floorplates, always aware it could crash again. As long as I'm walking around and don't have to push any buttons or do something else that would result in that sound, everything is fine. I have no idea why it was alright at the start and now happens every few minutes. Sometimes I'm not more than a second into the game after a reboot, when it crahes again.

That crashing cost me a savegame once. I couldn't reload save no. 2 after a reboot, it always kicked me out to windows when I clicked it, so I had to take another savegame.

I think I'll pause Conflux now and try another custom dungeon to see, whether the problem occurs there also at the triggersounds of switches etc. Note that I hadn't this problem while playing CSBwin before Conflux.

Don't know what to do, it is so annyoing. I'll keep you updated. :(

EDIT: I already deleted the whole Conflux folder while backuping my savegames and reinstalled it. Several times, but it didn't help.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Download the latest CSBwin if it's not included - there was some spund issue to do with instant crashes at the door, it may also fix that. You see conflux will have one of the latest engines were somethign ,ight have gotten broken

But it does sound engine related not dungeon related
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

send me savegame with instructions, I'll try to reproduce the crash
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

Where can I check the latest version of CSBwin I have? I just downloaded the Conflux_IIIj.rar from here and started it always from the 960-600.bat file. I wasn't messing much around with anything.

The crash can't be reproduced on command. It's happening randomly, sometimes after 1 minute, sometimes after 30 minutes, but ok I will send you my latest savegame.

EDIT: You got mail :)

BTW I've been playing 'Towers of Chaos' for some time now and I was standing in front of a door rapidly pressing the button to open and close it for like 1 minute without any crashes.
Last edited by Verokh on Tue May 30, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/

Look for the one datecoded a few days ago, CSBwin944 or something
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

Thanks I downloaded the newest version. I'll just overwrite the .exe and it won't affect my savegames in any way right?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup, your saved game will be fine, it's jsut an engine upggrade

Stopepd being lazy and got the link:http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/CSBwin995.zip

seems to be the latets one - you got that, right? : )
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

Oops no, I got 994, but that's just another mouseclick away.

EDIT: Okay after installing the newest CSBwin.exe I was running around like mad on floorplates for about 3-4 minutes and it didn't crash. Let's hope this was the final fix to my problem and not another 'lucky noncrash-period'. Thanks a lot so far and keep your fingers crossed :D
Last edited by Verokh on Tue May 30, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, it appeared out of nowhere for me too

And i removed your quotes - no need to quote unless it's a few posts away, saved bandwidth!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

And lol, by 'edit your quotes' i mean' get distracted and find i'm away to edit yor edit

Good it fixed it!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You see, this is how you get such a large post count Beo -- talking amongst yourself!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

And replying whenevre i get the chance

Isn't that right beo

Yes it is

Damn, should have done that in new posts

Yes you should have beo
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Where do I get the infinite food from?

That's the only thing preventing me from wasting time and levelling up my character's Wizard levels.

Which reminds me - does wizard experience increase from casting Poison Blob even when it doesn't strike an enemy?

(I never found a scroll with that spell as I've not progressed far enough into the game, but I was playing about with Rune combinations.

There was another spell which didn't seen to do anything except turn me through 90 degrees... what's that about?

Nvermind, I guess I'll find out eventually!)
Verokh
Apprentice

Post by Verokh »

It's not infinite food really, buy you find that large amounts that it could coun't really as almost infinite. Slaying rats for example at a point somewhere in the storage levels, where they respawn. You'll soon find out where. Since I started the game with only 1 character, food wasn't a problem at all. Might be different when you start with 4 characters, but it shouldn't be much harder.

You will gain wizard levels from just casting in the air.

You will find a scroll about that 'turn around' spell.