A meeting this year for the 20th birthday of Dungeon Master?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

When would you like to meet?

September 1-2
No votes
September 8-9
80%
September 15-16
No votes
September 22-23
No votes
September 29-30
20%

Total votes: 5

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

September 7th, I assume leading to the weekend of 8-9th

And very cool! I hadn't appreicated that! If you know the area then perhaps we can tie up at some point and figure out somewhere decent to get together at. I still owe you some disks too!

This weekend I have my mother down from Friday (so busy until then getting stuff needed done done!) then I am up to Scotland funnily for a concert Tuesday/Wednesday then off to Manchester Friday until Monday evening. As I said, suddenly very busy this coming week.

However, after that I'm free to get stuff sorted, and in the meantime I can possibly scrounge time in the late nights of the weekend to look at things.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I thought it was the 6th and the 7th?
I need to find out whether or not I can get those days off, but not had a chance to speak to the person I need to speak to about it. That or I forget. Or she's gone home by the time I start work.
If I can get those days off then I'm just gonna get a daily travelcard thingy and get the train to Victoria, then Tube from there to wherever.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe it was - thursday evening and friday all day would have caught me fully too
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Just the evening on Thursday? Hmm, I wouldn't fancy travelling home by myself after dark...I'd want to be heading back by, like 7pm or so at the latest (about 45 mins on the train from Victoria plus half an hour to walk home from there...never mind how long it'd take to get to Victoria on the Tube from wherever it was I happened to be at the time...Tube by myself, waaah scary never done it before :(). Anyway, I dunno if I have those days off yet. Arrgh I need to find out...
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I was looking at travel plans over expedia, and they gave me a trip potential from sept7th and give me a room in london and free breakfasts.. but have to pay my own dinners.. not bad. I don't eat much anyway :P

for about $1200 canadian. Not impossible for me to afford.. depending.

London Gatwick.. where ever that is in relation to anyone I don't know, and it's at the Clarion? would really apreciate some feedback on this since you lot know the area better than me. I'll be entirely lost otherwise..
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Gambit: Date ist thursday 6th of September. Keep the spare room for Cows, he has the most expensive flight. I'll be fine in the B&B.

Confirmation: I'll be there along with my girlfriend. I don't see any problem with getting to anywhere else in London from Penge.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Gatwick Airport is outside of London, about 35 miles away. However, there is a regular and reliable train service into the heart of london that takes around 30-40 mins. You certainly don't want to stay at the Clarion in Gatwick.

Besides, Clarion Hotels are not exactly the cheapest option -- if you're on a budget, a bed-and-breakfast is a better option. These are more like converted houses and some are awful, but you get a more 'traditional English' experience.

I didn't realise the dates were in the week -- this may be a problem for me as I'm just setting up as a freelancer and I havesome projects kicking off around that time. I thought we were doing this at a weekend.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, and Penge is literally 5 mins walk from me and yes, it's easy to get into London from there, takes about 15-20 mins to get right into the centre of the city.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As mentioned, I still need to confirm that I can get those days off, but if I can, I don't suppose anyone would be willing to meet me at Victoria? I'm not really overly keen on the idea of being in London by myself but I don't wanna miss this meet just 'cause of that.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I rmemeber why now, it's because I fly out friday for a saturday start to my explory holiday thing. We tried putting up weekends, and not all of us were free any weekend, so this was the compromise option

So yeah, I oculd only meet up thursday evening. Of course, nothign to stop everyone else arranging to do soemthign cool friday!

And yeah, for the thursday I can meet you at victoria (though I get off at waterloo, it is only a quick tube trip I htink - need to check me map)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well, the entire trip is $1200 canadian dollars with the Clarion, but for just the flight it's $1085. Most bed and breakfasts I found in a quick search online gave me about £43.07 as their low end price per night. Which is about $92 Canadian or so. So I can stay a week on $115 at the clarion or 1 night at a bed and breakfast :P

The only thing with these travel packs, is I can't pick the date, they are premade. Where as I can simply pick and old day if I just grab a flight. I'd sooner stay 10 days and leave on the 3rd.. however as shown above, the cost at bed and breakfasts climb pretty quickly.

A new one popped up that leaves on the 5th that is 8 days at the President Hotel. For roughly the same cost. How much is the train? and how long does it take?

Seems like all these pre packaged trips are to Gatwick, Nothing to Heathrow.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

just did a bit more searching and looks like a trip could cost me $640 now. which is a bit better. leaving me $560 for staying at a B&B giving me roughly 6 nights with a roof before they boot me ;)

still hunting.. but if anyone knows a cheaper B&B that's not a converted outhouse.. I'm all ear... er.. eyes. :P
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

so, looks to be about 150 or so more than the other one to have a B&B in earls court. and land in Heathrow instead of Gatwick. so about $1350 roughly.. not bad. I'm going to keep poking and figure out the final cost and then probably look into booking it. I have to get a passport too :S I nearly forgot about that, and not much time to get one.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I forget which of the two is easier to get to, but people usualyl hate heathrow as an airport to navigate!

Sorry, co-ordinating my mum coming down or else I would help check with you aswell :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sorry, I haven't asked my land lady yet about you staying Cows. Are you interested in that if it's a goer? I don'tknow that I'd be able to put you up for a week though, especially as I work from home -- I'd never get any work done, we'd just laze around and enjoy ourselves!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Laze around, not likley.. I'd be on a new continent.. I want to see what goes on there :P

I'm sure anything that would save a bit of cash would be good. maybe a day or two at the end of my trip?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woot - I have both those days off (6th and 7th) - what are we doing? :D
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't know yet - no one else has said, and I'm bouncing between trips and people down so can't organise a darn thing ffor a week.

and I still haven't done anythign about india yet in terms of visa nor shots yet :(

But cool! Gte to see you!

Also, I think I allowed for a full ay pf preparation, but depending on whtat I manage I do have Friday off, Satrday is my flight - weirdly, I would have sworn the trip started Saturday.

So yet, might be aorund 7th too
Stryker
Novice

Post by Stryker »

I might be able to make it for the 30th anniversary :P

I'd be 26/27 then and actually have a (decent paying) job, I'm assuming.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, whatever the plans, I can head up to London on either/both days at some point in the morning or whenever...but intend to head home no later than, say, 6-7pm or so...I don't really fancy being out late by myself although I could grab a taxi back from the station. Meh. I'll see what ends up happening, I suppose.
Yaaay, looking forward to meeting peeps, anyway :). Ooh, how are we gonna tell who's who...hmm...
Actually, I already know what Rimm..er...Wuffy looks like, kind of ;).
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i can book only one day (but maybe none!) so i should be available on friday 7th and the whole weekend of course, but not on thursday...
i'd be able to confirm my presence before this weekend.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

dunno if I can make it now.. trying to get the time to get my passport is crazy.. I need so many specific things.. you'd think the fact my birth certificate says born in BC that I'm obviously from canada.. my drivers licence is from canada.. so uh.. gee.. Now I need a photo from a professional photographer ($$) can't take it myself.. I also need some official who has known me no less that 2 years to prove I'm from canada.. as well as several other hoops.. looks like it will take at least two days to get what I need, and then two more weeks to get the actual passport..
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

biometric passport ? two weeks ? how lucky canadians are !
it took 8 weeks for me !
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Beo: Any idea where and when exactly we'll meet? Any means of contacting each other if getting there in time doesn't work out for someone of us, like exchanging a couple of mobile numbers?
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

exchanging a couple of mobile numbers
you should exchange phone numbers in PMs only so noone else could see it; I wouldn`t give my phone number to the public!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Adamo: I never assumed that anyone would do this publicly.

BTW: George, aren't you from UK too?
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

aren't you from UK too?
same as Ian Clark, DMDM, anybody_uk, bitza, pad the mad, Kelly, Des, PaulH and rob3034. They`re also from UK.
You might send them PM/email invitations as soon as possible - maybe someone would response and come?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey Lunever - I'm still bouncing around, just newly back from one trip away off after tomorrow until Monday evening. Need to be in London the week before, so can perhaps get together with Gabit if he's free and work out stuff

I have cows and gambit's modile nos, once I get settled again can share it with a few more

Ameena, you can always crash here on the thursday night to give yourself the whole thursday night or perhaps ask your aunt if you can crash at hers!

I seem to be flying saturday, so might be around most of friday, which is good!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Beo, could you please send email invitations to UK people? maybe someone will come.. PaulH he made great custom dungeons, so it would be cool if he comes to the meeting..
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I was thinking today, actually, I could always get a taxi back from the station or something, or maybe mention it when in the presence of my sister's friend to see if he'll think of maybe offering to come pick me up, lol. Anyway, it'd depend. Once I have some idea of what we're gonna be doing, then I can plan out that kind of thing :).