A meeting this year for the 20th birthday of Dungeon Master?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

When would you like to meet?

September 1-2
No votes
September 8-9
80%
September 15-16
No votes
September 22-23
No votes
September 29-30
20%

Total votes: 5

linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i have my friday ! but i don't know -really anything- about london.. last time i've been there, i was 13... :?
So, my first choice is Melbourne House where Lunever is : single rooms = 115 € for 2 nights + Eurostar from Paris : 160€, total = 275 €
Then, i can choose between several train+hotel packs around 200 €. Here are the hotels adresses :
- 186 SUSSEX GARDENS
- 150 BARKING ROAD
- 81 CLAPHAM COMMON SOUTH SIDE

thanks for your advices.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

sussex gardens seems very good and in the centre of london (just westof what I would consider west, right by paddington station)

The barking road one seems less good for central access, similarly the common south side.

Personally, I would either go with the lunevar's B&B so you have him, and also gambit close, or go with the sussex gardens package as you will be a hop and a skip from all the cool stuff of central london

Again, if money is an issue (eg you want to do lunever's b&B but don't want to spend the extra) then just yell!

I'm running out of time tonight, but will start e-mailing people from Monday/tueday next week. Of ocurse, someone lse could always do it beforehand!

I will pnly, given what I've seen so far, look next week for two types of places - places near penge or places between there and central london.

So, ameena's coming in from Victoria, I come in from waterloo (man, I can't wait for TF:TM to be released at IMAX, it's sooooooooo close to the station!) otherwise everyone so far mentioned will be based in the centre or penge.

Cows, how's it going with you?

I must admit, I would love for zyx and zyxette to be able to come across, but he's not said anything :( And yeah, Paul H has been awol for aaaaaaages, be cool for him to come

And similarly, trant, where are you man!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'm going very poorly at this rate, I can not leave classes, so I have to try to get everything done for monday, though that still places it at 2 weeks potentially.. I don't know if there is any way I can speed it up by paying more.. but we'll see.

What day EXACTLY is the meeting?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thursday evening, friday all day - 6th and 7th. I gues then people can also be around for the 8th/9th
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ermm... i just realized that Lunever's B&B is not the same "Melbourne House" i was talking above... :oops:
money isn't really an issue for me and i prefer being in Penge with nice people rather than being lost in the center.
so, at the moment, i have pre-ordered a train ticket and i wait stoically !
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Haha, that's why I posted the link http://www.uk-bedandbreakfast.com/

After all, it's called Melrose House, not Melbourne House.

The 60 pound I pay there per night are for a double room for 2 persons btw.

Should you still intend to go there you should book in advance by mailing to

Melrosehouse at supanet dot com

Beo: As an Admin, can you make a Multi-PM to people we should at least inform, or simply to everybody around here?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

bahhh... i need glasses :P
zurman
Neophyte

Post by zurman »

I think I'll be there too !!! :shock:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I may yet make it.. the passport can be rushed (supposedly) for a few extra bucks.. I guess we'll see on monday if that's true..

I go forward to the land of heart attack inducing foods!! ;)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmmm. I've just realised a few things:

1) It's only two weeks away and we still don't know what we're doing

2) I do not have any money to throw at this -- feel bad that some of you are talking about spending hundreds!

3) I'm taking on a two week job which will need a lot of my attention; don't know that I can now take off time on weekdays for this meet.

I would like to hook up with you guys but without knowing what we're actaully doing, it's tricky for me to know when Ican make myself available. Do we have a firm plan on this yet?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

@Beo: we're overbooked with work in september sadly, it's hugely improbable that we find the spare time to come.

Take lots of pictures!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Because hugely improbable doesn't mean impossible, I'd like to ask:

Where exactly would we (okay, you) be meeting?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

So far it doesn't look like anything's really been decided for certain other than that some of us are going to London on the 6th/7th of September...omg less than two weeks to go :D.
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, don't you have two people booked already at least? I thought Lunever and Linflas are booked with room and flight. I only need to deal with my flight and pass port
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

@lunever : melrose house has no room available for the 8th, only the 7th, so i must find another hotel near the center...
and the packs i've mentioned before are not available anymore :(
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Wasn't it decided that the people who couldn't come use there web cameras? If so then I'll be set, I am going to Europe but that isn't ill next year.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lunever - nope, no admin mass PMing option, plus that would mean they would need to be lurking here anyway

I could mass-mail, but then that seems a little impersonal and a little too formal for what it will be. Would be best to simply use the best e-mail addresses for anyone not currently around

Currently we have no firm plans so hard to book anything (also, my india trip means I can't organise anything aside from looking up facilities on the net - and there's no guarantee I willahve free time to scope them out on Saturday, even though I need to go to London)

I propose:
Thursday - social meeting of whoever wants to in a better pub/resteraunt somewhere (reserve place) as a hello sort of thing. Probably better for regulars than everyone, though everyone welcome

Friday - book a conference room for the day somewhere to host a general 'woohoo DM' thing. If we can get web access, great. Otherwise, no cam possibilities. If people have laptops, then great, then we can set up computers with any projects, and versions, etc. If someone can bring real ataris or amigas, we could maybe even set up the old stuff. Give me enough warning, I can have my old amiga disk over for example. If Gambit can come, he has alot of stuff. Etc etc

Note, I am still not conclusive I can attend a Friday session. Attending Friday means all my india stuff is completely sorted out including packing. Attending the friday session is almost certainly meaning I will book into somewhere in London to be ready to fly out the next day. That means though I have a lap top I can take across, I need someone like such as Des or Gambit to attend who lives closeby so I can recover it once I get back.

Saturday/Sunday onwards: Seems like alot of people could still be around after that, you should do stuff! Not me, I will be flying by then :(

Anyway, barel back in the door and just killed spammers - in between my delightful weekly call from my mum we can start sorting stuff out then!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yay cool :D. All I need is a time to be there, really, so I can see which train I should be getting to Victoria...it's about 45 mins or so, or an hour if I get the slow train...anyway, not too long ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

To meet you, I have a 40 minute train to waterloo, and then the quick dance along the tube to victoria - not that bad depending on the time
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

It seems I will be coming after all... ^ ^
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh! :D
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

beowuuf wrote: If we can get web access, great. Otherwise, no cam possibilities.
It shouldn't be that hard to get web access at a conference center, but it would be nice if people who can't physically be there to participate in some way.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

booked for thursday ! i'll get to waterloo station at 8pm on the 6th !!! :D
i found a hotel a bit far from the center but that shouldn't be a problem if suburb trains drivers aren't on strike :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

where is the hotel?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

20km from the center, southside : 587 LONDON ROAD THORNTON HEATH
i must take 2 trains and a bus, it takes less than an hour from waterloo.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

flight booked, I arrive 9am or so in london. Gatwick. I have a shuttle to central london from the airport so that's covered. I just need to book the bed and breakfast. Need to work out all my final costs :S
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

9am thursday?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Err no I think he told me the 5th (we were chatting in MSN while he was sorting it out).
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Well if anyone can get access to the internet, you can contact me via AIM or MSN. I would definitely like to be a part of this even though I can't be there physically :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

being there is kind of the point mitch.. though perhaps next time? I don't think we'll all be hanging near computers.. at least that wasn't what I had figured on doing. I thought likley we might go grab some dinner some place and maybe run around in a feild waving large wooden swords over our heads wearing T-shirts spray painted silver to look like armour... :shock:

just an idea...

anyway, whats the list down to now? Lunever, Linflas, Gambit, Bewuuf, Ameena, ZYX, and my self? I'm sure I'm missing someone?

I'm liable to only have about £150 spending after all my other costs. Unless I can pull in some additional cash from else where. So my spending will be limited. I'll be there at 9am on the 5th, and leave on the 11th after midnight. I'm liable to head out to the airport around 10:30pm. so I'm early enough on the 11th.

Lots of time in between. I also have booked a visit to stonehenge and some other stuff as part of my flight package but I can pick what day I want to do that on..

hmm.. what else can I say about my plans... oh.. I still need to figure out exactly where I'm staying. I saw a small hotel for about £22 per night. So may do that. It's near to central london.

moo