Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV)

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Des
Um Master

Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV)

Post by Des »

My old PC just went to Silicon Heaven and I've now got a new shiny one with gazillions of megawotsits. This means I can now play games a bit more demanding than CSBWin and RTC (not that I'm going to stop playing them, perish the thought). I'm going to give Oblivion a try at the weekend as it looks superb (first person single-player RPG with superfroodulent graphics). Anyone played it yet?

P.S. You can drool over the game screenshots here:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_pc_screens_01.htm
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

My flatmates are obsessed (and I mean OBSESSED) with it. I got scared at that fact and passed up the chance to buy it for my 360 and bought Burnout instead. Looks bloody amazing though. Obsessed... :wink:
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

count me in with the obsession, akatosh is quite the hottie too ^^
Immortal Dungeoneer.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Roomate purchased it and has played it a lot. Also managed to kill her character numberous times in numerous ways.

I've played morrowind. I played over a month and had not even gotten on the main quest yet... there is so much you can do.. you can wander the world and meet people.. find various towns.. forgotten ruins.. lairs of pirates and other such nasties. The place is massive and you can walk weeks real time just to get from one end of the map to the other.. people remember you.. and if you cheated them.. also word of you can spread to other towns. and in oblivion you can bribe, flatter, cheat.. insult.. anyone you like.

take on numerous new skill sets.. watch out for wear and tear on your equipment.. go in the forrest and hunt rare herbs and flowers etc.. to make potions.. gain in wizardy skills and alchemy.. practice marksmanship.. learn to pick locks.. you actually pick the lock.. it shows the tumblers and your tools and everything..

it's as close to role playing as you can get in this kind of game.. so non linear and free.. just don't go hunting your neighbours cat or anything.. you still need to abide by our laws when not playing the game :)

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have a dodgy copy of Morrowind but never played it. I don't think my PC will handle Oblivion in any playable fashion, so perhaps Morrowind is worth a blast some time.

Obliviov does look super sweet though -- looks like the kind of game I've been waiting years for.

But of course, I'm trying not to use my PC much these days...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I played Morrowind for about an hour before setting it aside for good. I guess it is just too huge and non-linear for me, I felt completely overwhelmed by it. I need some linearity, some goal to keep me playing. So I guess these games are not for me. Haven't tried Oblivion, and I don't feel any need to.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I've played TES series from Arena. With exception for Battlespire and Redguard.

I was first disappointed at Morrowind for making all Khajiits and Argonains digitgrade (In Daggerfall they were plantigrade!) but after installing 100+ mods and upgrading my computer's RAM and processor It runs smoothly.

That's why I WON'T buy Oblivion but wait about 2-3 years. I want 90% of the most annoying bugs fixed, my computer's graph card suitable for it not to mention the processor. And of course... MODS MODS!!!!!
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I've just started playing Oblivion and I'm really impressed with both the graphics and the gameplay. I'm doing the tutorial dungeon at the moment with a high elf character (whose main advantage is fast mana replenishment). Guess the hugeness of it won't be apparent until I get out into the real world :D
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Been playing again today. Wow, it *is* enormous and visually stunning. I spent ages just looking around and talking to people before finally getting my arse in gear on the main quest. I nearly found out what happens if you snuff it (doesn't say in the manual) when I foolishly tried to fight the bandit at Fort Ash using weapons only (need to advance my Blade and Blunt skills to level up). He was creaming me until I switched to magic and frosted him to death.

Anyway I won't say any more other than it is a superb game, almost as good as Conflux III :D
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Oblivion? Well, I restarted Daggerfall after few years 2 days ago. So guess...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

it seems that i will have to buy a new graphics card... again because of another Elder Scrolls episode !

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/obl ... /page5.asp
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I played it religiously for about a week, made a new character, promptly became bored. Played it twice in about two weeks before uninstalling it. I may give it another go in the future, but it won't be anytime soon. At least I had it installed long enough to rip all the textures, sounds, and SpeedTree templates.

I wasn't spectacularly impressed with the game, although it didn't take nearly as long to release as I thought it would. Definitely loads better than Morrowind, more similar to Daggerfall but with a smaller world, and nearly bug-free (save some graphical artifacts). The physics add a really nice touch; feels like I'm playing HL2 again. And the paralysis spell . . . big points for that one! Love them ragdolls.

Unfortunately, the main quest doesn't hold water the second time through, and none of the side quests really interested me. And, as with its predecessor, once you've explored one dungeon/ruin/plane of Oblivion, you've explored them all. Not much replay value here unless you're a die-hard fanatic. Sadly, I believe my Elder Scrolls days are over until Bethesda gets in gear and makes a multi-player version.

One more thing: why the hell can't I draw a bow on horseback? Damn Bethsoft and their glaring oversights. Gets me every time.

P.S. Redguard fo lyfe. Akatosh is the only true god.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

oh man... i've just bought a 7800 GS this afternoon :'(
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

I bought Morrowind as budget this week and spent 5€ for it. What a waste of money, i don't need a game to run around clueless :(
I HATE all those "do whatever you like"-"RPGs" :evil: - I knew that before and still gave Morrowind a chance, because of the hype etc, but now i know it for sure. Never ever Elder Scrolls again.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

just sent the new card back... :roll:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOL, what happened?
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Yeah, was the card faulty or did you send it back because you no longer have the urge to play Oblivion?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

because i tried it on a 'ubber' pc at work and i discovered that what i had with low details in low resolution wasn't that different, except that i had more than 8 fps of course :)
ok we have great outsides, walls full of bump, realistic water and well... i was bored after 10 minutes...
and there still the same problem with bethesda (and most of videogame studios) : they aren't able to make correct faces for their characters ! they're still as ugly as in morrowind !! just have a look at the high elves, they picked up the same crap character designer !!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I thought you could image scan with oblivion and have your own face...ok, you don't look at that as much i guess...
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I'll wait 2 more years for comp upgrades and "Better bodies/beasts" mods. Then I'll play Oblivion
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I love Morrowind...I've got it with the expansions Tribunal and Bloodmoon...well I played through Bloodmoon first but I only then finished Tribunal a week or so ago. I like the non-linear, do-what-the-smeg-you-like games as long as there is some vague goal I should be heading towards - I could pick up a quest in Morrowind and end up doing something else and forget about it and then be looking through my journal ages later and think "Ohh yeah I forgot about that one..." and then go and do it :). Although...umm...well I couldn't be arsed to keep running the full length of the continent after a while so I kinda used the console command to jump me to whatever zone I felt like going to, but that was more of a time-saving thing than PROPER cheating...it's easy enough to become uber in that game, especially if you're any goot at Security and Sneak - I mean, if you're a Light Armour wearer, you can nab a full set of the stuff in the Tower of Dusk in Ghostgate :D.
Oh this thread was about Oblivion wasn't it...well umm...no idea if I'll play it one day...might do. Will have to get it first. That and a computer of my own...
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

well... "il n'y a que les imbéciles qui ne changent pas d'avis"(="only idiot people don't change their mind")
so i got oblivion and installed several mods that enhance the game a lot : performance, interface, visuals (new faces, textures, etc.)
and honestly, this game just rocks.
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

Post by DraconicMajesty »

Answer to most of the problems in Morrowind - Infinite Levitation Ring. Hover out of melee range and nuke the enemy from orbit!!!

Morrowind - I remember it well. It gave me RSI. Great game - especially when you get into the main quest, and get the giant mushroom house with the mechanical guards...

:twisted: :P 8)
Beat: DM, CSB, EOB, EOB2, EOB3, Black Crypt, Captive, Hired Guns...
...show-off.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I made an item with perma-Lev, but it wans't a ring - it was my small Glass Shield, which I named Emerald Wing. I only equipped it when I needed to actually Lev somewhere, since Levving was slower than walking and plus of course you don't get Athletics/Acrobatics skill-ups when Levving. I had a bunch of perma-regen items though, which I wore under my armour, so nothing could really hurt me. Except werewolves on Solstheim, but by then my Acrobatics skill was maxed so a single jump took me miles above their heads and I could regen a bit whilst falling and continue twatting the bastards :twisted:.
The "mushroom house" I preseume you're referring to is the house you get when you're promoted highenough in House Telvanni. I didn't join that one, I joined House Hlaalu, so got a different house. I don't think it had Dwemer guards...just blokes or Orcs or something. But I didn't use it much, or the one I had built at Raven Rock on Solstheim. I made a stash of the little store-room upstairs in the Ald-Ruhn Mage Guild though. Gawd it got so full of crap I couldn't be arsed to sell :D.
Neophyte

Post by Lord Rocket »

The best bit in Bloodmoon is where you kick seven shades of something out of the 'Uderfrykt' (spelling?) and then get to be a Nord chief. It's a shame there's no proper way to get drunk or I'd just sit around drinking mead with my warriors. Good stuff.
Mighty Hails, Brethren!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

dunno what to do with all those books in Oblivion ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClLFavEPSbo
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

My life, that's INSANE! Althought that's prob one of every book in the game :shock:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ohh I've seen that a couple of times...thought someone had been very very bored and gathered books at first, but then twigged from the comments that it's just something someone put together using the editor. Is cool though :).

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Great use of the game engine. Better than the game itself.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That video is super sweet -- I used to love playing Domino Rally as a kid and that brought back a lot of memories. Of course, I never got to use swords, spiky balls or melons. Damn spoil sport mum.

So that's all in game physics?