How to cast a spell?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Jaromir83
Neophyte

How to cast a spell?

Post by Jaromir83 »

Hi.
I started the game of RTC and my heroes are unable to cast spells! When I click some of the runes nothing happens (some of my heroes ARE wizards). In Chaos strikes back spellcasting works properly. Should I use somehow spellbook I have found first??
Thnak you.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i guess you play RTC version of DM (not the original one). you need the spellbook in your inventory to cast spells, and you need also to collect runes on scrolls you can find in the dungeon.
drag the scroll on the spellbook to add the new runes.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

If you play RTC in the "Original Dungeon Master" dungeon as well as the "Chaos strikes Back" dungeon you will be able to cast spells normally.

If you play RTC in the "Return to Chaos - Dungeon Master" Dungeon you will have to pick the spellbook and have it in any inventory slot of any of your characters to be able to select spell runes. You will have to activate each spell rune first by taking the spellbook into a characters action hand and then click a scroll that has spell runes written upon it unto the opened book's contents. The book's contents appear in the food/water/chest-area of a character's inventory while that character is holding it in his action hand.

The intention of the spellbook is to make DM veterans who of course know all spells to play the DM dungeon as if they were playing it for the first time in regard to discovering and using spells.

Maybe you should take the time and read the information about RTC in its readme and on the RTC homepage.

George: For this question new threads with the same content have been opened up here repeatedly. Can you please include some very clear and well visible information screen displayed on starting a new game of RTC-DM that explains the use of the spellbook to new RTC players?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Jaromir83
Neophyte

Thank you.

Post by Jaromir83 »

It wasn´t this way in original DM, was it? I will give it a try. Thank you.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

No, it wasn't this way in original DM. That's why you can choose in the startup-menu between "Original DM" and "RTC DM".

If you want original DM spell behaviour, without any spellbook, just choose "Original DM".

If you want the spellcasting restriction of the spellbook, then choose "Return to Chaos".
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The readme texts with the game do explain all of the above points
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

I just started playing and one of the scrolls I found said I could drag items with runes on them to the spell book to add them. When I came across the two Ya potions in the chest (original DM), I couldn't add their rune to the spell book. Why is that?
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

The potions don't contain the Ya rune, they are just Ya potions
Don't be scene or herd!
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Where on an item would the rune have to be located then? The Ya potion has the rune right on it visualy.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

All the runes in the DM RTC dungeon are on scrolls, the runes on potions are just to let you know at a glance what kind of potion it is.
Don't be scene or herd!
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Actual scroll reads:
To copy a rune from an object into your spellbook place the object over the open spellbook.
My question still stands, where on an object must the rune be located for this to work since it doesn't seem to work for potions that have the rune written right on it?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It has the rune shown on it but it doesn't contain the rune. This may make more sense if you've looked in the editor - it's possible to attribute runes to items, ie make them "contain" the rune so it can be scribed into the spellbook. I suppose it'd be like walking along and finding a potion with some symbol on it that you've never seen before, but then finding a scroll which says "The Ya rune makes a Stamina potion" and thinking "Ahhh so that's what that symbol means!".
Well, something like that anyway...
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The runes are on the scrolls you find in the dungeon that taught you the spells the first time around.