Wallset Grating

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
THOM
Artisan

Wallset Grating

Post by THOM »

HI

I am trying to create a Wallset of a Grating Fence. The problem is that the engine manages the bitmaps in a way that makes it impossible do do that.

Egsample:

when you have a normal dungeon view with a normal wallset, the engine always draws(when you stand in front of a wall):

Code: Select all

l  l l  l   
   ¯    ¯    ¯
        x
(Hope you understand that "rendering")
As you can see - if you want to have a straight fence the engine doesn't do that!

Now: has anybody an Idea how to realize my project??
I have tried to clone wallitems, flooritems, fake walls (came out solid - ignoring any othe bitmap) invisible walls (came out invisible) and now i am loooost....

any opinions??

THOM
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Can you post links to screen captures to explain the example better?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You won't be able to do that with a wallset. I'd suggest a floor item, but that too will be hard, although I seem to recall you can now have assymettric flooritems -- if that's the case, then this should be possible: your flooritem north view would be the fencel straight on, the east/west views would be the fence from the side.

@Beo -- he's saying that when drawing the front of the wall cube, you always get the side drawn too -- which would mess up a long fence as you'd see the side part showing through the front.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Gambit is right, I don't think you can do what you're trying to do with just wall sets.

What I suggest is that you have a wallset with completely blank walls i.e. transparent). Then create a wall item that looks like a fence, and put one on each wall - that way you'll get fences exactly where you want them.
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

George Gilbert wrote:What I suggest is that you have a wallset with completely blank walls i.e. transparent). Then create a wall item that looks like a fence, and put one on each wall - that way you'll get fences exactly where you want them.
even from the beackwards-side?
DM_Player
Adept

Re: Wallset Grating

Post by DM_Player »

Has anyone figured out how to do this?

I would like to have a low wall with an iron fence on top of it, but when you do this you see the side walls of the tile through the frontview of the tile. Also, if you are directly in front of a line of wall tiles, you see the Front1 view of the first tile in front, the Front2 view of the 2nd tile in the line of tiles, and the Front 3 view of the 3rd.

It just doesn't appear that you can have a partially transparent wall?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

It's doable in DSB.
Just sayin'

;)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

lol. I have this in my (unpublished) DMJava dungeon. It looks great if you look at it straight on, but turn to look along the wall of gratings and it just disappears!

Basically you have to assume that they were never supposed to be implemented like this yet hope that the player doesn't mind the 'bug'....