[Fixed for V0.40] RTC V0.39 Resumée

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

[Fixed for V0.40] RTC V0.39 Resumée

Post by Lunever »

Hi George!

After having played through all the default dungeons of V0.39 and having examined much of it in the Editor, I thought it might save you time if I made a list of unresolved issues. Of course nearly all of it has already been posted in the forum, but I only later noticed that many of my posts in regard to this actually have been replies to threads that you had moved to archieve part of the forum immediately after releasing V0.39, so it's possible they might get lost in this process.

0) Obviously, the removal of major engine/dungeon bugs:

a) I think you already fixed for V0.40 pickable locks crashing the game and items chain-triggering floorpads, along with that the uber-speed of the zooooom, and probably missiles triggering floorpads that shouldn't be triggered by missiles too.

b) I don't know whether the CSB-FulYa floorpads, that are supposed to be triggered by having certain items in the inventory, are also already fixed. In regard to that items in a container in the inventory (like a corbum or green gem in a chest) should also trigger the pad.

c) Possibly still unresolved is the issue of monster-triggered floorpads that just don't trigger for no apparent reason (I hope the 3 examples I sent you help finding the cause).

1) The removal of minor engine/dungeon bugs:

a) Have the teleporter at Enc. z05/x20/y10 (RTCEd L15,5,5) target the destination tile Enc. z04/x20/10 (RTCEd L16,11,4) as it used to in FTL and in earlier RTC versions (and not as it is now to Enc. z04/x19,y09 - RTCEd L15,10,4)

b) According to the Encyclopaedia maps in CSB the iron door at Enc. z03/x10/y09 (RTCEd L5,3,3) should be blastable, and not as it is now the portcullis 1 tile west of it).

c) I do not know how exactly this is suposed to work, but please compare the northern part of the couatl room with the original FTL-CSB-version, that is the trapdoors east of Enc. z05/x21/y07 (RTCEd L21,7,5). I assume they should close again at some point so you can operate the switch south of Enc. z05/x23/y08 (the switch at RTECEd 23,9,5).

d) Not very important: For some reason I got the infamous Ros-DDD pit at Enc. z02/x16/y20 (RTCEd L9,15,2) closed albeit I didn't have ascended through Ros but only through Dain and Neta. Not very important though, it's certainly better than the other bug that had been in some much earlier version, where you couldn't close that pit at all.

e) Boots of speed are still much more powerful than in original FTL (yes, even I sometimes try to balance things down): In FTL they did NOT move you to a lighter load category. If your load was yellow, you still had the yellow load's stamina drain, you merely could move as if your load was white (or move as if yellow if your load was red, while sufffering the red load's stamina drain). You could only move at super-fast speed if your load actually had been white. In RTC however, you actually get a lighter load category, that is, if your load would be yellow without boots of speed it BECOMES white AND thus allows you to move at super-fast speed, although you are heavily loaded. I suppose this would be an engine quirk, not a dungeon mechanics one.

2) Major interface fixes:

While I often send and post loads of interface suggestions, there are currently only a couple issues that are really really important to me, in the order of their relative importance:

a) Please make the "no ammo" message trigger a relaod again, like it used to do in previous versions, so I can readopt my favourite ninja-style approach again, which relies on swapping a bow into a characters action hand.

b) If a character has a container in the action hand that still offers free space, have items that are clicked on the characters stat bars first placed on body parts/quiver slots, secondly in the container (if suitable to fit into that container), thirdly in the pouch and fourthly in the backpack. Only having the container's priority being higher than the backpack's priority will ensure that the auto-placing of items clicked on the stat bars will be compatible to quiver-items.

c) While the current auto-placement/equipping by clicking items on the stat bars is great especially for picking up missiles there is a small problem caused by it: Currently , if you have a character throw a round 2 clubs and 4 knives, the auto-replacement doesn't properly work, because the engine will always place a knive in the big quiver slot first, thus blocking it for the club, which then will end up in the backpack. Please make small missiles got to the small quiver places first (in the usual order). This could be additionally optimized (if that isn't to complicated): If you pick up a fourth small missile move the 3 missiles in the small slots up 1 slot (so now the first missile picked up will be in the big slot, and the other 3 in the 3 small slots in order they've been picked up.

d) Please expand the rabbit's foot at least to the pouch, if not to the backpack as it was in FTL.

3) Minor interface/editor fixes:

Maybe you'll consider some them, maybe not, but after summarizing the bugs above I think adding them here as a last topic at least ensures that they don't get lost.

a) The new current EQUIP rules: Ok, it might be arguable for some items whether they should go to the quiver, and even if you'd think they could fit into a quiver, it might be questionable to allow them because possibly original FTL-DM didn't. Yet for a couple of items it's hard to see how that is supposed to work: Why for example can you sheath a full staff in the quiver, but not a small wand? I think wands at least should go to the quiver. Of course I'd like to see torches, horns, bombs and magic boxes fit there too, but if those aren't accepted, please make at least wands fit. Also, while I accept that you currenlty prefer to not have extensive left-hand equipping for the default dungeons, I think allowing it for just 2 types of items in the default dungeon might make sense: Wands again, and the mace of order. So you couldn't run around equipping 2 big staffs (which wouldn't be very realistic although I've got used to it through many releases), but you could equip a small theowand beside your Inquisitor. Also in FTL as well as in RTC V0.38-V0.39 the mace of order doesn't make much sense: Right, it does give you a slight strength boost, but even without that boost other weapons do a lot more of damage than this stupid mace. I liked to have it as a left-hand-weapon during all those many past releases that allowed it (and as mentioned in some thread - I always assumed that this behaviour was deliberately chosen by you because it absolutely made sense).

b) I'd like to add a custom Katana to a dungeon, that has a SHEATHE action so you can sheathe it in a smooth, ken-jitsu-style way. But I think having a SHEATHE action implemented to be available for custom dungeons might be less messy than having a series af some relays do it. This might also be a cool option to holster guns (I think someone mentioned in the forum to create a SciFi-RTC-dungeon?).

Done!

CU, looking forward for V0.40!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

These are now all either fixed in V0.40, or duplicates of other "live" posts not in the archive...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Very good! Thank you!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

1e) I must admit, I never liked the way RTC handled the boots of speed -- they should simply make you go faster, not affect anything else (such as encumbrance).

So is this behaviour definitely now changed in v0.40 to match FTL?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Yep