RTC041 file folder swtiches to READ ONLY

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

RTC041 file folder swtiches to READ ONLY

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

RTC041 file folder every once in a while swtiches to READ ONLY preventing saves

Has anyone had troubles with this?
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sounds highly unlikey!

Windows XP shows all folders as a greyed out tick in the 'Read-Only' option when you select properties on a folder -- is this what you're checking? It doesn't actually mean the folder is read only.

Check the individual files in your save folder for the read-only attribute. What do they say?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

umm, yeah that's true, it keeps changing, like i just booted up my computer, and the attribute was set to read only again, i changed it at least 5 times yesterday. i would be trying to save my dungeon.txt and i would get a message telling me the file is write protected, i would go to the folder and uncheck the grey dot, and a bit later, after 10 saves say, it would go back to read only. i don't know what it is causing it, and this problem i've never seen before, i'm just changing the attribe when necessary to save. it seems random at when it changes, and no other files are having this happen. it's got to be something stupid that i can't see, anyway, i think i saw 042 :) great work, just great work
keep your gor coin handy
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Could it perhaps be something caused by your computer system as opposed to RTC itself?
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I would very strongly suspect that this is nothing to do with RTC.

- The game never directly reads the write attribute (let alone sets it); it just does an fopen with write permissions on the single *.RTC file that's being played and sees if it works or not.

- The editor never goes anywhere near it.

Neither touch the folder attributes at all...
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Do you have any idea what may be causing it? I most certainly believe you, but as i said, this trouble does not show up anywhere else. I'll have a deep look into it, thanks
keep your gor coin handy
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

On some earlier releases I had the problem that the unpacked files initially went read only, but that did never change once I corrected that, so I suspect that some other program at your machine is doing this to your RTC folder. Did you do anything special before that's been happening, like running some security/anti-virus/anti-spyware-check or something alike?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You misunderstood me about the read-only attribute on folders. It doesn't matter whether you turn it off or not, XP will *Always* show it as greyed-out and ticked. It's nonsense, I know, but that's the way it is.