[Fixed for V0.43] Importing DM/CSB characters into DM-II

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
danielos
Neophyte

[Fixed for V0.43] Importing DM/CSB characters into DM-II

Post by danielos »

Hello,

I tried to import my champions (from preavious versions 0.40 and 0.41) into DM2 v0.42. All went well, I started to play the game, but when I tried to save my progress it crashed down to Windows displaying this message:

Error:
an access violation exception.

Stack Dump:
RTCModule.SMTGetSafeObjectNo(string "ATTACK_METHOD_WAR_CRY", int 1015);
RTC.ProgStateSaving();
RTC.DoFrame(int 109);
RTC.WinMain();

When I try to import the same party into CSB or DM v0.42 all goes well. When I choose new champions in DM2 and try to save the game, everything is allright as well. This problem occurs only when trying to save game in DM2 with party from older versions.
Is it a bug or do I do something wrong?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I'm not sure what's going on here.

I've tried doing exactly what you describe (take an old DM-II save game, import it into V0.42, then save) but it works perfectly.

I presume that there must be something odd going on with your specific old save game - can you please send it to me and I'll take a closer look.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Thanks for the file - I can now see exactly what the problem is (and have changed the title of the post appropriately).

The issue isn't anything to do with versions, but importing characters from DM/CSB into DM-II (or vice versa). In more detail, the problem is with your characters bones - namely that in DM/CSB they're defined by the object MISC_BONES but in DM-II, the MISC_BONES object doesn't exist (as the characters bones are defined by MISC_BONES_DM2). When you try to save the game, the engine gets confused because it's trying to write out details of an object that doesn't exist. Likewise, it would probably crash if your character died.

Incidently, that explains why a DM to CSB import or a DM-II to DM-II import works, but a CSB to DM-II doesn't.

This is actually extremely difficult to fix "properly" as it may be that characters from a custom dungeon have a completely different set of bones and there's no way that the dungeon you're importing to can know what the graphics for them are. What I can do however, is detect that the bones are "foreign" and replace them with a set of bones that do exist in the dungeon that the characters are being imported to - it's not perfect, but at least it will mean that the game is playable with imported characters.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Now fixed for V0.43