[Custom dungeon] Forest of Doom [RTC] [Linflas] (discontinued)

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

wooo.. fast ! next release in one year approximately ;)
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Very impressive!

Excellent atmosphere, and it goes without saying that it looks a treat. Clearly a lot of work has gone into it. Maybe leans a bit too much towards the visually realistic for my personal tastes, but I'm very much looking forward to more of it.
arturus
Novice

Post by arturus »

This is the first time I've looked at it......fantastic :o :o
Very reminiscent of Ishar....great memories. Thank you.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

It's gorgeous, and very intricate. I was particularily impressed by Yaztromo's tower and how you've made it visible from 6 squares away. I tip my hat to you.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This is absolutely bloody awesome! I am so pleased to see such an effort made on the visuals and sound as this is the aspect of RTC that always interested me the most and you've made an incredibly detailed and rich environment. I love how you've blended all the various trees, bushes and plants together -- it must have taken a lot of working out!

The sky and fogging effects are excellent too and create a great sense of depth and distance.

Love the haunting music that kicks in after you meet Yaztromo and are put back in the now dark forest.

My only criticism would be that the big boulders a little too regular and appear a bit out of place compared to everything else.

But wow, simply wow. Can't wait to see the next version!

:D :shock: :D :shock: :shock:
arturus
Novice

Post by arturus »

Just played your demo dungeon....very atmospheric. I hope you're able to finish it.
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

Wow. This is brilliant. It feels like a completely new game, yet the game mechanics are the same.

Absolutely amazing concerning gfx and music. Might need more puzzles, but I won't complain until the finished version.
Keep on going, this the best effort made in the history of RTC!
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Man alive, this is very impressive-looking!

Well, that's made my mind up then - I'm sticking to retro, DM1!
I don't fancy my chances going up against anything this graphically rich. :)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

I'm crap at computers. Cant play the alpha demo what program do I need to run it. Sorry I know its a s**t ask.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

get RTC at www.ragingmole.com/RTC
put the RTC file in Modules directory
run RTC and choose Forest of Doom
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Ishar 3 should look that way, very good graphics & sound

But ofcourse its demo and you should hear few sugestions:
Dont change too quick scenery (into dark forest) remember ishar1, entire game got the same background (plus some different trees) and it was good. Just add more objects (more buildings, some water) and fix these stones (better replace it to bushes) Dark forest scenery look much better (probably because more objects and one fit to others)

I could play it for hours but i walk some 5-10 minutes and appear "here demo end" If its forest you dont need create dungon manually, just use random dungeon creation (i like this RTC option) Build some big forest several random maps filled with some monsters around (travell one level to other using unvisible teleport so it will look like one gigantic level)

Ofcourse it could be some dungeons around so i suggest made one big forest with many entrances to 3-5 level mini dungeons. Its Might & Magic style, i like it very.

Uh and i forgott tell about begining- start in heaven & resurect here heroes is very good original idea!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Of course, the forest wallset looks better than the land because it's easier to fade black with a big shade value (150) than light grey. I fixed the stones as Gambit suggested already :
Bushes maybe are a better idea, but too "Ishar" imo.
About your random level suggestion, i'd say 'no' because i want to follow the original gamebook literally. The important parts, the important items from the original story will be in the game. Then, maybe i'll try to extend it a little but i don't want to make a pure 'hack-and-slash/get levels' forest..
Mini-levels are planned for some caverns, crypts, houses. Yaz's tower, which is a transition between the land and the forest, is one of them.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Understand that you want made adventure game based on some story, but risk is that it may be too linear.

Too many big rocks look unreal thats why i suggest replace it by bushes.

Also i found when i walk near dwarf and dont stop here he still talk something crazy to me when i was long away from him (game should freze when you get close to him)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

yep, i will add some teleporters, as i did for the crow.
and yes, this will be a linear adventure, mostly.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

2 new screenshots : big rocks in the land have been replaced by Ishar-like bushes, as suggested. there are still some rocks but they are very rare now.
Image Image
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This is looking really, really good -- gonna have to get some questions ready for you when I start my custom RTC adventure -- though the rate I'm going on other projects, it won't be for a few years yet!!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

impressive. I can´t even detect the tiles!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I tried your demo Linflas. it is really beautifull!! Ishar-like style. BTW, how big (in tiles) is the outdoor area? (I couldn`t load your demo to the editor).
Keep up the great job !!!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Adamo wrote:(I couldn`t load your demo to the editor).
You're not supposed to. The whole point of the RTC format is that it's protected from this sort of thing. It protects the user's work and it prevents cheating.

If you ask nicely, Linflas might release the uncompiled source, but if I were him, I wouldn't! ;)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

if I was Linflas I wouldn`t publish an uncompiled source either!! As for my dungeon, except me, only two persons seen my dungeon (still in developement) unencrypted so far. I want it to be a secret forever. But that doesn`t mean I don`t like watching someone`s else work :D The ideal situation (for me!) was if I could see all the dungeons and no-one could see mine. ;) I know its unfair but that`s the way I think. I was hoping that Linflas forgot to encrypt his dugeon or doesn`t care so I could see it... :)
But I don`t mind if Linflas wouldn`t show me an uncompiled source - moreover, I would ABSOLUTELY understand him !!!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Gambit wrote:
It protects the user's work and it prevents cheating.
not only that. There`s also an aspect of game toughness. If you can look in the editor, a game would be easier and, IMHO, loose some of its climate (if you know where to go, you won`t loose in the dungeon so easily). BTW - sometimes drawing maps by hand is a sort of fun - like revealing game`s secrets (ok, drawing maps for Conflux was quite masochistic work - I gave up quickly) ;)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Adamo wrote:Gambit wrote:
It protects the user's work and it prevents cheating.
not only that. There`s also an aspect of game toughness. If you can look in the editor, a game would be easier and, IMHO, loose some of its climate (if you know where to go, you won`t loose in the dungeon so easily). BTW - sometimes drawing maps by hand is a sort of fun - like revealing game`s secrets (ok, drawing maps for Conflux was quite masochistic work - I gave up quickly) ;)
I'd say that falls under "cheating".
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, for example sharing spell knowledge wouldn't be cheating, but definitely removes a fun challenge in a game like conflux where the rules have changed!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

@adamo : of course, i won't release all the uncompiled source but i'll make a pack containing all the bitmaps used in the game and the graphics parts of the source.
@zyx : grand merci au format PNG et à ses couches alpha ! ;)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Making the images available after release of FoD would be excellent!
Do add a note as to how you would like to be referenced... My english is getting worse, what's the proper term :?:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

tell me in spanish then :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

¡I'm English!
That's the worst part of it.

Anyways, I consider referencing the original author of the images I use an important part of creating a dungeon.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

well, i don't really need to be referenced : i release FoD as "Linflas" and nothing more... but if you prefer my real name : it is Guillaume Romero.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Guillaume I knew about, but Romero? Does that mean we will see lots of Zombies in FoD?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

there will be only one but very powerful mummy... :twisted: