War on Terror Boardgame

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Des
Um Master

War on Terror Boardgame

Post by Des »

http://www.waronterrortheboardgame.com/

A bit of satirical fun in a similar vein to the classic Nuclear War card game I thought (and bought one). When I read the press links on the above site, I was amazed at the vitriolic outpouring against this game. Sure it's not exactly in the "best possible taste" but the UK has a long tradition of tolerance for satire, or has that now been forfeited along with the rest of our civil rights?
Nightwolf
Neophyte

Post by Nightwolf »

if someone close died because this... "war"... this game will not be funny to you...
"Que no está muerto lo que puede yacer eternamente, mas con los evos extraños, aún la muerte puede morir"
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: War on Terror Boardgame

Post by Sophia »

Des wrote:Sure it's not exactly in the "best possible taste" but the UK has a long tradition of tolerance for satire, or has that now been forfeited along with the rest of our civil rights?
What's your point?

Nobody's tried to make this illegal.

It's perfectly legitimate to make a game in poor taste, and it's just as legitimate to call a spade a spade and criticize it.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

There have been a lot of people shrieking for it to be banned, particularly in the right-wing press. It was banned from the Essen Games Fair this year, and UK shops are refusing to stock it.

The thing with satire is that it has to be topical to work. The Nuclear War game was originally made in 1968 when there was a real danger of a nuclear holocaust. That was why it was dubbed as "sick" and banned quite a bit. Supporters of the game claimed that as the most common result is M.A.D. it demonstrates the futility of Nuclear War.

The War on Terror game is about the current terrorism-related conflicts in the world, and it highlights the hypocracy of neoconservative western foreign policy, and thus the plight of servicemen dying in its name. That said, the makers do not make any noble claims for the reasoning behind the game. It is supposed to be tastless, and as such is always liable to offend people, especially as the casualties of the conflict are so recent. On that basis I can understand people slagging off the game as they have a right to do, but I don't think its right to ban it.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Oh, I see. So they have tried to make it illegal.

I don't like that idea, either.

I perfectly support the right of people to squawk, though. The wonders of a free press! :D