to Wii or not to Wii.. that is the question... :D

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

to Wii or not to Wii.. that is the question... :D

Post by cowsmanaut »

Any other Wii owners? I got mine tonight. Played both rayman and the sports. I have to say.. it looks a lot better than I thought and I don't even have the progressive cables yet. It's really not so bad on the two games I've tried so far.

The experience definitely dominates the enjoyment. They were right when it's about a fun experience rather than the graphics. The way you interact with this system is so much fun.. you need to get up off your fat @$$ and do something.. I tried the boxing in wii sports and had the two part controller going up to block my face and leaning to dodge punches.. jabbing out my OWN arms to punch .. jab jab uppercut.. block.. jab.. BODY BLOW.. and he's down!!!

And who doesn't like shooting insane bunnies with toilette plungers?

awesome
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The Wii isn't out here in Europe before the 8th of December, but I am sure I want one. Maybe Santa Claus will be kind to me. ;)
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I've pre-ordered mine but our launch line-up doesn't include Trauma Centre which made me sad :(

However, I did pre-order Zelda, Red Steel and Wii Play. I'm glad you said what you have cows - it's just made me even more excited to get mine.

How does the multiplayer fare up? Thats what I really want to know...

Oh and how is rayman? I heard it was mini-game based and not a full-on adventure like the previous games (excluding Rayman M)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Yes Rayman is completely minigame which was a bit dissapointing really at first.. but it turned out to be a lot of fun.. 3 of us were here playing and passing off the controller to make attempts at the various challenges. I will warn in advance.. the challenge where you need to draw food for the bunny to eat.. try to keep your mind off what the bunnie is doing under the table.. it's a bit difficult to draw with a wand and laugh your head off..

Multiplayer has not come up you simply because I was only able to get the one controller with the system so far. Extra controlers were sold out.. so was Zelda.. So I'm going off to look other places to find them.

we shall see...

There are a number of other features coming up for the wii as well.. I can see the open slots for them but nothing there yet.. there is also a news and weather channel on it.. but they are not yet online so once they become active you'll probably have your wii :P

online access is free.. but you need to pay points to get other things.. like XBOX live.. except if xbox live were free :P

there is onboard wifi.. so if you have a wifi router.. just give it the WEP and off you go..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

oh... I will mention it plays old gamecube games and uses their controlers and memory cards too.. there are slots on the top.. also.. be sure to get a nice SD card too if you want to save games for the WII as there is not one provided with the system. I have a 1 gig one I got for my camera I might think of using.. but then what do I sue in the camera :P

oh.. also if you want 480p instead of 480i then get the extra cables sold seperately.. I don't have them yet.. but it looks not bad.. and it already supposts widscreen TVs
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Wicked! Thanks for the info cows, that's very helpful!

I've got a stack of Gamecube games which I'll dig out and I'm also happy to hear that the Freeloader import enabler works for cube games too! Very good news for me as I bought an American cube and a few games so now I can still play them!

I thought the Wii had 512MB of internal memory so you didn't have to buy an SD card if you didn't want to. If not, looks like I'm gonna have to increase my spending on launch day :shock:

Unfortunately I don't have a HDTV yet, however I will be buying a SCART cable so the picture will be pin sharp for me!

Oh and I don't have a wireless router so I'm gonna have to wait until they release that adaptor so you can use stone-age wires :(
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well it supports widescreen and progressive scan.. but not HD.,. it's got the max of 480p.

if you want 1080p get the ps3 :P

as for wireless you are in luck. they have a USB wireless stick to plug into your wired winxp machine to send a wireless net signal to your wii. or you can get the adapter from net cable to USB. There appear to be a tonne of the wireless sticks for wii over here though.. so they are easy enough to find. seems simple.. have a winxp machine with internet and plug it in.. done..
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

'Oh and by the way, my vibrating features have been disabled' is the best line I've heard in a long while...!

Maybe I should get out more... LIKE IN 4 DAYS TIME WHEN I'LL BE GETTING MY WII! Yay!

Oh and Cows, I read recently that Nintendo are looking at updating the Wii to be HD compatible. I think they saw the way Microsoft pushed 1080p on the 360 in a simple update and are thinking 'if they can do it, then why can't Wii?' Come to think of it, isn't that Sony's slogan at the moment.... :roll:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes I read that too.. it's very exciting if it's true.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

playing HL2 with the Wiimote ? yes !
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech ... #more-6052
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Now that's pretty cool -- seems a bit laggy, but still cool.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I finally got my Wii on Friday morning, after queueing outside GAME at 7:10am in the freezing cold. I've never queued up for a console's launch before and it really stressed me out! I was so excited, it was like I was 10 again!

I was well impressed with the packaging but not impressed by the man in GAME... I was 'pursuaded' to buy a memory card, only to find out that it's useless until I connect to the internet, and I don't have wireless internet, GRRR :evil:

I love Wii Sports and those Miis you can create and play as in Wii Sports! It's great seeing all your friends on your team in Baseball, or seeing them spectating whilst you're boxing (which is a painful and tiring game, but great fun when you land a blow - looks like it really hurts!). I also love the fact that you can transfer your Mii to your Wiimote, take it to a mates and play with your Mii on their console. Damn good idea!

I'm going to try to get the wifi dongle for my PC so I can connect to the Net as I want to download some classic games (and activate my SD card!), but all in all, i'm well happy with my new purchase :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

glad to hear it.. I think my wii code is

9633 5186 2709 8248

I can send you some new Mii's I made captain Kirk, bruce lee, dog boy, satan, and a few others.. if you are creative there is a number of odd things you can do with them
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Picked mine up today, cant wait to get it home. Cows, will send you my Wii number when I find it out.

A
Regards,

Andy
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

cows, mine said i cant register you, maybe region locked.

A
Regards,

Andy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

that seriously sucks.. give me your code I'll try
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I've finally got my Wii online after some right pollava with that Nintendo Wifi dongle bastard. The original program and drivers are total balls so I've found some custom ones that allow me to use my PSP too :) Although the Wii was a bit tempremental at first but it seems fine now... so fine infact that i'm posting this from my Wii right now! The browser's not too bad, but text input is a bit of a pain.

Cows, i'll try your code now to see if it works.

*Edit* Nope, it's saying your Wii number is incorrect. I'd give you mine but there's no point for the time being as I'm going to see my mum for Christmas and not going to have internet access for a week or so. I'll let you know when I get back though!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Oh, the resolution!

Now we don't get to see the second half of what Gambit said.... or maybe we don't want to know.

Neat shots though :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah, they are not really readable unless I zoom

it's only 480i right now.. i need the cable for 480p and they suggest that they will upgrade eventually to 1080p

so let's hope..

My TV can handle it.. it has a digital input so I could plug my computer into it.. in fact my roomate used it to play rome :P
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hooray for Amazon, who "guaranteed" to send my Wii before Christmas... 23rd of December, and it's not here. :roll:

EDIT: Wow, just got my Wii, quite amazing that stuff like that still gets delivered at 5 o'clock in the afternoon...
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I'm thinking of getting a Wii soon (I want a DS for programming first). I'll wait for a price drop. Still I envy people who got theirs. I haven's heard a single bad word about the Wii among the friends that bougth theirs, so I'm really really really eager to get one myself.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Psh. Consoles are for sissies who don't appreciate troubleshooting.

Actually, I haven't owned a console since the SNES, quite simply because I'm a dork and my PC has given me enough pleasure, but Gears of War is making me change my mind. Two-million copies sold in six weeks.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I kind of agree with Tom there, but Wii's control mechanism seems really really interesting to me...

I save my PC for programming

and Dawn Of War.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

...and Dawn Of War
Oh dear, another Warhammer 40K nut. People should pity us.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Yeah I'm a big Warhammer nut in general. Completing a Skaven army for WHFB and Imperial Guard army for WH40k.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

does it make me cool if I know a lot artists who worked on that? :P

they were actually my students.. but I've never played the game. However, I get to see a lot of it as our animation instructor as well worked on it and he brings in the art director of the game to talk about it etc. So, even though I'm not a 40k fan.. I know a fair bit about it.

Anyway.. this is a wii thread.. no slagging the wii. It's the best new invention.. people who never play games like to play it because it's like the activity they would do.. it's far more intuitive than the old 50 button controllers. My dad loved playing wii golf because he could swing the wiimote like a club and based on speed and angle he would hit the ball.. so cool
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Can you perform the action to lop someone's head off with it?
I'm a wii virgen... And a psychopath.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

My Wii # is 5243 1413 6908 1360