Any suggestions implemented on Version 0.45?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
danielcg
Apprentice

Any suggestions implemented on Version 0.45?

Post by danielcg »

I want to know if George Gilbert implements any suggestions into RTC Version 0.45? Even my suggestion about easier difficulty setting?

Christmas is near now and currently, this is 3rd Advent!

Note: I was in luck that I got Sophia's RTC Editing Guide BEFORE she withdrew her contribution (quitting supporting RTC)!

[Off Topic] I was also very lucky that I GOT my new Nintendo Wii console before it could be sold out in few minutes!!!

Thanks! :P
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If he's implemented something, he's put a [Done for 0.45] beside the topic, if not, or if it's been moved to the archive without comment he hasn't. I believe he mentioned it somewhere

Since you personally can engineer an easier difficulty setting for yourself by editing the core dungeons and adding stronger charatcers then this suggestion probably won't be though.

Don't let the edting guide, which is only for 0.38, stop you from actually chekcing out, understanding and experiementing with the engine yourself - there are things added since then or altered

Then share anything you find with the rest so that other people don't have the same learning curve
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

You cannot, however, edit dungeons where the text file is not provided.
These cannot be made easier in a satisfactory way.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Surely the dungeon designer's progative whether he wants a game to be easier than he designed it, and so give out the text file : )
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

Hiya Danielcg
I've been looking all over these forums for a place to get the RTC Guide, and to answer issues I got with trying to change the wallsets.

I got a few probs trying to design my own Dungeon and I'm not keen on always sending out an SOS for every Problem or Question that I come up with.
Do you or can someone please tell me where to get the GUIDE.

I fully understand and appreciate the fact that Sophia is the one who put time and effort into writing this guide.
danielcg
Apprentice

Post by danielcg »

Yes, I know how to edit core dungeon to make gameplay easier. It had been done by implement floor trigger or switch that link to WALL_ACTION function. Yes, it worked fine but it will only apply to selected character who triggered something, not entire party. Also, I can alter weapon strength and can make the weapon that can hurt any monsters including non-matter monsters such ghost or water elements.

Also, I know lots of new version 0.44 functions in RTC Editor (not documented but know what it means).

My suggestion is still remain alive at this time (not yet moved to RTC Archive).
danielcg
Apprentice

Post by danielcg »

Opa-Loka,

Sorry, since I am not developer or programmer (I am hobbyist and program/modify existing RTC Dungeons to make easier gameplay for myself and my family); therefore, I cannot help you. Please refer to RTC Editing forum and post here. I think George Gilbert may help you.

Also, I have RTC Guide but I think I am not permitted to release RTC Guide because RTC Guide is owned by Sophia, NOT me!

Very sorry but it is a copyright rule!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey opa, there are still mendsets and tricks to using the RTC engine - feel free to ask for help if something isn't clear!

For people who ask without experiementing its usually bloody difficult to help, as you'd have to spend the time explaining everthing from first principles and also tend to duplicate posts in the fourm (which is why us regulars get frustrated, we know the post they need is actually getting knowcked off the front pahe so the quetsion is likely to get asked again and again).

If you have searched the fourm and looked at the engine as you've done, then feel free to ask for some clarifications in the editing forum as said, or even pm someone provately - what's the sticking points?
plenty
Novice

Post by plenty »

One thing I terriblly miss in DM part of RTC : Starting Screen MUSIC!!!
It was perfect... I kept my DM PC just for 2 reasons - to have a source to compare RTC with DM and catch difrences, and to be able to listen to intro music. Im not shure if its not a code-generated music or some sort of a music file... anyways i can try to record it and fetch together to sound most - DM like.

Another aspect - I'm not downloading every RTC version... so I lost a loads of savegames and had to start over few times just to get to the point i was... I realise that starting over has a lot of sense when u try to chatch bugs, but DM RTC is way harder then oryginall, so i was abe to get to Chaos just twice... any chanse to implement save converter betveen versions when saves are not compatible ( i mean a converter that would keep track of all versions from now on)? Or just a separate tool to do it?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

RTC supports playing music at the entrance, it's just not implemented in the dungeons that come with it. If you want to try yourself, you need Track 1 from the DM Album whcih you can grab off the Encyclopaedia:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/639

I believe all the latest versions of RTC can read save games back to about version 0.28, so you shouldn't really have any problems there.
plenty
Novice

Post by plenty »

1) Thanks man, i tried ripping DM PC files, looked over internet, even actually at DM Encyclopaedia. I noticed the album before, but at the top of the page there was written: " The music composed for the Fujitsu FM-Towns versions of Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back", so i skipped it, and didnt noticed:"The music from track 1 is also used as a looping background music on the entrance screen of Dungeon Master for PC" at the verry bottom of this page :/.

Ten years ago in total desperation I've connected my sound card to tape recorders line-in, directly (ussing/killing 2 sets of hedphones...) but efect was terrible...

Just recently i read at wiki that DMPC used midi file... this is not true as i see...

2) Most of my saves are 0.27 and older... But i mean, *if* any more drastic save file format changes happens, mapping them and writing converter would save a lot of tears :D

Oh, and since there are intro and ending sequences avalible, it would be nice to have them implemented - all versions, with the switch in the text file allowing to chose between platform version of the animation, or skipping them (value 0 or smt.). It would be possible to reap them, but running external file with animation would be ok too.

And, if its possible, changing Exit from the module after credit screen to go to starting screen of the current module, reloading it instead. It would speed up loading a game...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

GG was building in backwards compatibility from now on, as practicable as possible. I believe there was an issue with 0.37 and the adjusting of the magical map that knocked backwards compatibility, and a spell triggering tile issue
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

plenty wrote:Oh, and since there are intro and ending sequences avalible, it would be nice to have them implemented - all versions, with the switch in the text file allowing to chose between platform version of the animation, or skipping them (value 0 or smt.). It would be possible to reap them, but running external file with animation would be ok too.
Ah, RTC doesn't support animations at the beginning or end... just sounds files at the moment.
plenty wrote:And, if its possible, changing Exit from the module after credit screen to go to starting screen of the current module, reloading it instead. It would speed up loading a game...
There have been lots of discussions about this, but for various technical and performance reasons, it's not lilkely to happen.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

beowuuf wrote:GG was building in backwards compatibility from now on, as practicable as possible. I believe there was an issue with 0.37 and the adjusting of the magical map that knocked backwards compatibility, and a spell triggering tile issue
Yep, as far as I'm aware, there are only two backward compatibility problems from V0.27 all the way up to V0.44.

1) The graphics used in the magic map might appear slightly differently (e.g. if you've created new ones in a old custom dungeon then they are sometimes not used when playing the dungeon on a new version of RTC). The problem goes away if you simply recompile the dungeon though and anyway, I don't believe that anyone is effected by this because no-one at the time had created any custom magic map graphics!

2) Old save games that contain teleporters that operated on spells (e.g. like those in the void / ghost level in DM), when played on a new version of RTC those teleporters don't work. This isn't a problem in the default dungeons (it just makes the void area somewhat easier to cross!), and custom dungeons that required the teleporting of spells to solve puzzles could just recompile the dungeon (no changes to the text file were needed) and everything worked again.

There might be some others, but they are the only two that I can think of off hand.
plenty
Novice

Post by plenty »

Gambit37 wrote:There have been lots of discussions about this, but for various technical and performance reasons, it's not lilkely to happen.
If there was a possibility of starting RTC to run a selected, compiled dungeon (similar to COMPILE Modules\New\MyDungeon.txt
), then it would be solved. And then another switch in Config file.

Restartmoduleonexit=0 - old behaviour.
Restartmoduleonexit=1
with this option turned on, RTC would remember to add name of the chosen module to config file at the moment of selecting it. Then while exiting he would restart itself, loading chosen module. Exiting via modules starting screen would remove remembered modules path from config file.

If RTC could be started with module path from a command line. to load the specified module automaticly,I could at least write a program or script that would satisfy my (and it seams not only mine) needs.

I realise that the proces would be damn slow (reloading whole RTC), but at least automatized enough to save few spare clicks. Especially the part with selecting a module from a command line shouldn't be a coding problem, and would make me verry happy. Just adding Lastplayeddungeon and methodofquitting (exiting from a game or from a starting screen) info to config file or some log file would be a great help too.

Having that base, it would be damn eassy.
Hey, mayby just adding a switch in config file (undocumented enywhere else but this forum), that would anable committing sucide via pressing key combination, like alt+shift+q.
- last idea from difrent thread :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You can already compile RTC dungeons using a command switch. I think it's in the docs but if not, try searching the forums for how to do this. Can't remember off the top of my head.
plenty
Novice

Post by plenty »

I know i can COMPILE this way. but I wonna have a possibility of running compiled dungeon via switch or from command line...
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

plenty wrote:I know i can COMPILE this way. but I wonna have a possibility of running compiled dungeon via switch or from command line...
It's the same for both!

If you put a txt file on the command line RTC will compile it, if you put an rtc file on the command line it will run it.