Memorable Moments...

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

Post by Black hand Bika »

Damn, so many memories. I woudn't know which really gets to stand out. I found the Roaring/barking rats hilarious...and learned that their bite was worse than their bark.

One favourite experience wasn't mine as it was a fellow I had introduced the game too. I sat him down in the dark computer room and loaded up one of my games...I think it was a Chaos strikes back game. I was close to the level with the flying snakes, and he ended up meandering around for a bit and got quite fixated with it, He fell down a pit into the snake area and decided to sleep to heal...

...Well sleeping in such an area will have you awoken with an attacking snake...the open mouth, the Hiss... It hit him so suddenly as he was watching the ZZZ's that he had thrown himself back screaming, rolled a couple of feet (chair had wheels) and fell over backwards. Damn, that was gratifying
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I always find it amazing that most people from UK seem to consider themselves not to be part of Europe. Things like reading in a newspaper "Due to heavy storms the continent has been cut off for several hours". Poor continent, severed from the center of the world. Or hearing a friend of Gambit say in a pub "Ah, you're from Germany. You know, I've been making vacancies in Europe several times."
But what do you expect from people who drive on the wrong side all day ;-)
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, pretty much. We are an island after all, we have an island mentality without even realising it!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

And there's a marked difference in the news coverage between the UK and Spain too. I never realised how 'insular' we Brits are! :|
fermat
Neophyte

Post by fermat »

After many months of trawling the excellent forums here, I've finally decided to post! Being a veteran DM player (and now RTC addict), I thought I'd find out if anyone has experienced my (accidental) technique for killing the Dragon in DM...

The first time I played through the game, I fell through a pit on Level 13, landing in the dragon's lair to be presented with a load of dragon steaks. It wasn't till my mates were raving about fighting the dragon that I realised it existed!

Don't know if this is this a unique experience, but it goes down as a striking DM memory :wink:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to forums fermat! Great username by the way (I'm a mathematician).

Your experience is not unique, but it is rather special. In fact, 'rain used this technique on his record run of 9 minutes to finish CSB. It never happened to me, though, and I have played these games a LOT. :wink:
fermat
Neophyte

Post by fermat »

Hi Trantor, thanks for the welcome! (a DM-inspired name - Mon - right angled triangle - Fermat??)

I thought someone else might have found this. I could never reproduce it in DM or CSB, through the countless times I have played them, and I'm trying it now in RTC.

The forums are really good, it's great to see the differences in the way DM is played by so many different people, and the things you are never aware of. I always preferred to play two-character games (Mophus and Gothmog is my favourite combination), with the fireball dodge technique especially useful. Shocked me to find out that Tiggy is female though - all these years I believed her to be a small male wizard!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Somehow I always thought Tiggy was female, but a number of people seem to think of her as male. But I think nobody ever suspected Wuuf to be female! And in my mind, Wuuf is still a he (can't take away that piece of manhood from Beo, right?). :wink:
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

Weird, and here I thought Wuuf was a male all this time...I did suspect that tiggy was a girl though....or at least an of androgenous being of some sort. :lol:
fermat
Neophyte

Post by fermat »

Not Wuuf as well! This is too much to take, I've used Wuuf as a character so many times as well... Naah, he's still a He to me.

Mophus is male, isn't he?... Now I'm doubting Gothmog (gender-free, surely) :?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Mophus is not only male, he looks all too eager to show you the proof that he is male...

:shock:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Well, who knows? Most people suspect Syra to be female as well until they discover "her" beard... Oh, and congratulations to 1000 posts Sophia!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Thanks... I wonder what 1000 posts really means... a profound lack of anything better to do? ;)

You're not so far-off from that yourself. :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sophia wrote:Thanks... I wonder what 1000 posts really means... a profound lack of anything better to do? ;)
Shhh, don't let Beo hear that...
Sophia wrote:You're not so far-off from that yourself. :D
Yeah, I noticed that, too. Seems I'll make it before my two-year-anniversary here... Which is indeed quite scary, considering I joined way after you.
fermat
Neophyte

Post by fermat »

I've just been checking the portraits for the original characters, they are more than ambiguous (although Syra definitely looks female!). There's definitely room for some improvement. Is there a version of the character editor in RTC like that in CSB? I remember many good hours spent butchering the original portraits (I've got them all on an ST-formatted 3.5" somewhere).

Still can't believe Wuuf is female, won't sleep tonight...
fermat
Neophyte

Post by fermat »

Ha, just checked another thread, on the origin of DM character names, it quotes Andy Jaros:

"Wuuf – Coincidentally the sound he makes when he speaks"

Maybe I will be able to sleep after all...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, congrats on the 1000 Sohia, never noticed...last time I checked you were like 500 - 600!

And yeah, in advance cause I bet it will slip by me congrats on being close to 1000 too!

@fermat: no charatcer editor in that sense, but you could play with the portraits in DMute (I think) then screen capture, or of course just work on them with a paint programme to put into RTC that way (remember power pink forthe background colour)

Have you posted before on a DM forum? Someone else posted years ago about that very thing with the tel-fragging dragon, dropping down a pit and killing it.
fermat
Neophyte

Post by fermat »

Cheers Beo, thanks for the advice, will try editing the pics usign DMute, maybe a gallery is a good idea? Would like to see other's interpretations on the original characters.

These are my first posts on any forum, usually a bit reserved when it comes to these things! Re. the Dragon, I'm sure it would be possible to repeat this (although I've been trying tonight on RTC, with no luck!). I'm amazed I managed it on my first run through of DM, completed the game completely missing out on one of the best bits!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

*Points to Avatar*
That's my edited (and renamed, therefore Re-Incarnted, really) version of Wuuf. I did one of Hissssa too, and also of Gothmog and Gando but those two were really crap. The reason I did those four chars is 'cause they were my chosen party of four once I started playing DM again with RTC (though I now just use Ameena and Fippy, formerly Hissssa and Wuuf). You can just load the char pics into Paintbrush and edit them there, then save under a different name. And yeah, as Wuffy says, remember it's the bright pink/magenta colour for those parts you want to be transparent (in any graphic for RTC, not just the char pics) :).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

fermat wrote:I thought someone else might have found this. I could never reproduce it in DM or CSB, through the countless times I have played them, and I'm trying it now in RTC.
This was possible in early versions of DM but apparently changed in later versions to prevent you from 'cheating' in this way. But I think it's still possible in CSB if you're very clever...
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

:D Yay.

I've actually...finally have DM working on the comp now. Bloody dial up took forever to get the RTC downloaded. I've already reincarnated Wuuf and now ready to go back down.

It's been about 13 years since I last played ((on a computer, the nintendo version doesn't count)) so I'm wondering if I'll still remember much of it.... :mrgreen: Probably.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Don't even try in RTC. As long as the monster has one free square next to it to be moved to, you won't kill it by falling on its head, you'll simply push it. And it's for the best really, I hate it when it happens to a big monster and I'm robbed of the experience for killing it.

As for the characters' gender or psychology, I've never cared much for that. Once in my team, they do what I tell them to do. And since there is no gender restriction as far as equipment is concerned, I'll give Halk Sonja's bikini top to wear if I feel like it!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Parallax - you don't get experience for killing creatures! Only experience for using skills
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

That's right, so if you drop on their heads you won't get all the tasty XPs you'd have gotten, say, bashing them to death.

Take the dragon in DM for instance. I think last time I played I gained two fighter levels while turning around it and slicing it with a sword. If I had just dropped death on it from above I wouldn't have gained those levels. So until dropping on monsters is made a ninja skill my point stands.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Skimming the post and thought you'd made the opposite point - somehow read it that you'd said it pushed the monster away and robbed you of XP, rather than seeing you said it was for the best or else..
Lunar Celebration
Apprentice

Post by Lunar Celebration »

Hi all,

To George Gilbert - everything's working OK now - thanks!

Wuuf's a GIRL!? In many ways, that comes as something of a relief...

And I never thought that my first ever topic would be a three-pager!

Thanks for everyone's memories! I just found the Diamond Edge sword! Whoa!!! Poisonous fumes choking... movement slowing... health depleting... apples going off... must... reach...door... success!!! Jammy old Gothmog!

Hooray for me!!!
"There's spiders in the boxes..."
"Stay out of my boxes!"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, surviving the diamond edge trap is always fun! Shiny sword for high level ninja golem cleavage
Lunar Celebration
Apprentice

Post by Lunar Celebration »

Cleavage?

I assume you're fixated on Syra as well then!

I know I'm about to approach my first, ahem....

Are we referring to the DM knights as Deth Knights as per CSB? If that is the case then I'm about to encounter my first Deth Knight after 10 years!!! I can't wait to hear that solid, crunching rattlle...
"There's spiders in the boxes..."
"Stay out of my boxes!"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, the diamond golem cleavage...he's a builder working to fix some of the walls *shudder*

DM knighta are animated armours - look at the back of their legs when you see a side view - THYE ARE EMPTY! They are just ...umm..armour...that's...animated...

Yes, those clanking critters are fiun, i like them..aslong as I have berserk type weapons and plenty of space
doomguard
Apprentice

Post by doomguard »

i angar mostly about the thief. at the end i hate the noise he made, and stored the mightiest fireballs. this little filthy rat. take the best weapons and run faster than i can. i hate cowards. and what satisfaktion if i grilled him and get my things back.

in csb a few days ago, i had an new taktik to catch the thief. take a corner and go to map. load a big fireball cast the spell to detect enemys and wait....

if he arrives launch the ball. when you see him in real you are to slow, but on the map, you can "calculate" his movement and wait for the right moment to fire.

the right punishment for the right monster... ;)