Chaos in Chaos Strikes Back?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
dolligan
Apprentice

Chaos in Chaos Strikes Back?

Post by dolligan »

Looking at the various information on the Encyclopedia, I see that there is graphics and data for Lord Chaos and the Grey Lord in CSB, but I have never seen either of them,
The creatures page says there is a generator for Lord Chaos, and 1 Grey Lord in the game... where are they? How can you generate a Lord Chaos and what is the point of the generator/ how does it work?

Also there is Chaos/ Order and Lord Librasulus graphics in DM but I have only ever seen Chaos, when do the others appear? The Librasulus that appears when you go back to the start, with the firestaff (the one that kills you) is not the same as the "creature" Order/Grey Lord/ Librasulus that is in the creatures section of the encyclopedia. I remember a long time ago using dmute to drop a Grey Lord into the dungeon and watching him walk around (I think it crashed the game after a while).
Is there any way to see these in the actual games?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Lord Chaos is walking around the top level of CSB. He's not there at the beginning-- the generator creates him.

The Grey Lord is visible at the end of the game, just like in DM.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hello Dolligan!
what is the point of the generator/ how does it work?
Generators are one of the actuators in the dungeon (others are AND/OR gates, counters, pressure pads, pushbuttons, shooters, swap object, champion portraits, disables, object holders, end game and Designer Specified actuators). Generators generates specified types of monsters when it recieves a message (for example from a pressure pad). That`s the way of creating creatures in DM: some are from in the dungeon from the beginning ("waits" for a player) and some are generated by a various events, like a pushing buttons by a player etc.
The point of them is to generate a monster each time, when a party steps on the pad, for example (do you remember the beginning of Chaos Strikes Back? Always, when you entered a special tile near the door, new worms appeared from a generators). But usually they have a delay of working set to, say, a minute or an hour.

There`s a list of actuators in DM2:

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/danmas ... tm#ACTU_01
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
dolligan
Apprentice

Post by dolligan »

Thanks for the replies people.
So the Grey Lord just appears when you kill Chaos, like when you flux cage him in DM?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Exactly, except with the DM ending the engine takes over to do soemthign scripted so I don't believe it is actual proper creature infront of you anymore (the borders around your stats,the explosions and the unmoving Libby, Chaos and grey lord)

The CSB ending it's actually a cheated ending using dungeon mechanics to summon a Grey Lord and then generate the congratulation texts. Which is good, as it shows you how you could easily make you own endings!
dolligan
Apprentice

Post by dolligan »

So what conditions are needed to create a Chaos in CSB? and what happens if you kill him, rather than winning by the usual Corbum way?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I blew him up with a Ful Bomb last time I played it...was an accident as well! Well, I mean, I meant to chuck the bomb but didn't expect it to kill him :D.
You can add him in like any other monster. The way he's created in CSB is spawned from a generator when you step on a certain spot.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I believe he is generated after you have three of the four corbums, and you get close...I can look later as I have forgotten myself
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Having three of the four corbums should indeed generate Lord Chaos in CSB, close to the FulYa pit. He is currently killable in RTC (I did it with a single attack from my Dragon Fang), but that is a bug; he should be unkillable, just like he is in DM, where the only way to defeat him is to Fuse him after trapping him in Fluxcages.