New Table Top Rpg

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
GandolfA
Apprentice

New Table Top Rpg

Post by GandolfA »

Currently i have had a table top rpg (set in medieval fantasy setting) created for long time now based off D&D, all the rpgs i played, etc. And over years have worked on it and improved it, however past 3-4 years have been removing any copyrighted material and created all orignal spells/races/classes/etc.
I am currently almost finished with the game (year left i hope) and plan to get it copyrighted and attempt to get it of the ground. Currently i have 35 Classes and 17 Races as well a total of over 1,000 spells/techs.
The goal is each class has 300 unique spells and/or techs(which several of them are done), what even makes it more unique then D&D is i have own D20 system created up for it, as well as item creator so u can make custom items,armor,weapons,etc for your character. In the rpg you are encourage to play evil,good, or anyway you want to play your character, be it saving towns or burning babies. I am currently writing 2 guides; the player guide and the storyteller guide. (Can't start on monster book because i am no artist and still looking for).

Anyway i want everyone opinion on anything and everything, also if any questions or want more details just let me know. Why its taking so long is everything is being done by me and i am constantly beta testing with small group of friends. But now that im getting close to the end (i hope) i want to hear everyones review, questions, etc.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

One of the things that surprised me the most when visiting the forum was how interested people are in the math behind the DM engine. Games like Magic the Gathering is all about maths, apparently, and I never knew. Get it right, and you're off to a good start.
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

Post by Black hand Bika »

Sounds like you've been working on that for awhile now judging on the amount of detail you're presenting for classes & abilities and such.

It sounds interesting...does this system have any particular name? Is it a world based setting? Are their any books/novels that have influenced your creation in any way? Does it also require various kinds of dice or is it similar to the d6 based rpg's??
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I guess game balance and slowly does it with releasing stuff.

You have a phenominal amount of races and classes by the sounds of it - with that sort of cohesive start, you you pick the best of the best as an introduction, and logically group the rest of the classes and races by location or function. You should make sure the core elements balance well (get alot of people to playtest or a few to playtest from each angle) and them make sure that that core group is the basis that is met but not exceeded by all the other releases you make. There's nothign as daunting as too much freedom when you are gettign to grips with an RPG, and nothing like jhungrily eating mroe and more options if its somehtign you find you fall in love with. And nothign worse than finding that a campaign or setting gets unbalanced by a class or race that the player won't then let you tweak yourself!
GandolfA
Apprentice

Post by GandolfA »

I still dont have a title for the game and prob wont name it till its done. The world i created (no name yet) is in a medieval fantasy kind of setting where there has been 100 years of peace and now the tide of war is coming. Several evil heros have begin taken power in diffrent cities and war is starting. For example Thantos (Th-awn-toes) a fallen paladin who was left for dead by his paladin comrades has drawn upon the dark powers of hades (i use all the gods from mythologies and few i made myself) to have seek revenge and wipe out all that is good and pure. Your able to play evil, good, or however you want to play it. It is even possible to become a diety or stronger than one, or even conquer the world. The game is setup for this, including monsters,npcs,etc that are to give a challenge. A large scale battle system as well has been created for army battles.

All the dice from a 4 sided up to 100 sided is used in various things. The 20 sided dice is most important, unlike D&D when u attack u roll a 20 vs the defenders 20 for example. Stats,modifiers,etc give u bonus's and negatives.

I have been doing alot of balancing, the stronger races require more experience to level up For example a Dragon takes the most experience to level up, followed by lycanthrope races and Vampiric races. Same thing with classes, certain classes are made to counterbalance the other and the stronger the class the more experience it requires, i.e Psychics and reality mages take alot to level up. I still am conducting spell/technique balances.

The game is made to allow the storyteller to change anything in the game they need to, add stuff, or take out stuff. The game is just a guideline and gives the freedom for the storyteller to tweak anything they want.

The final fantasy series, breath of fire, eye of the beholder series, anime, influenced me alot on making this game. I orginally made it because i kept finding flaws in D&D i didnt like, for example in 2nd edition book it discourages you from playing evil, because it says the game was made for heroic adventures. I could never play a Vampire Dark Paladin, and i noticed the spells per day was very limiting, as well as many other things. The worst thing was the blandness in fighting.... it was just i hit him...i hit him again... Now i have 6 styles of martial arts, as well as every class including fighter has its own set of moves/spells/techs.

Any other questions about races,classes, moves/spells/techs? Any ideas, suggestions on anything. Any helpful advice would appreciated. THanx guys for your advice :)