Easy way to change the color of Wallsets?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Easy way to change the color of Wallsets?

Post by Trantor »

What I want to do is if there is an easy way to change the colors of wallsets. Specifically, I'd like to have the Cave wallset from DM2 in black and white (and grey of course) only. I know I can sort of make a screenshot in the RTC editor, then cut out the part I want, make it monochrome and resize it in Photoshop or CorelDraw or whatever, and then add the graphic again in the RTC editor, but that process is very painful for me. Is there an easier way?
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

The easiest way I can think of would be to bug people on the DM2 forum to send you the ripped graphics for the cave wallset. Soemone there is bound to have them. I'd start with Suule since he's in Flashchat almost every day, but don't tell him I sent you ;). You can then edit them with any paint program, save the changes, and look up the offset values in the ADD/REPLACE GRAPHICS menu of the RTC editor, based on the DM2 cave wallset that's there, of course.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

However you get the files, changing their colour and importing into RTC isn't exactly a taxing or 'painful' task. You'd have to do that regardless and it's all part of the fun of custom dungeon creation.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Ok, "painful" is too harsh a word, but the part that's really annoying me is the cutting of the graphics and fitting them to the right sizes. I hoped there would be a more comfortable way of doing it, but oh well. I can actually get the graphics myself using DM2GDED, but some graphics have different sizes than those in RTC, and the palette is actually not 100% the same. Oh well, nevermind, and thanks for the replies.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Unfortunately, due to various perspective changes in RTC compared to the other games, it isn't simply a case of mix'n'match. But don't assume that you have to match RTC wall shapes exactly, you don't if you're prepared to do the extra work of finding out how to make things fit together -- though arguably that can be a lot more work!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Yep; the perspective of DM, CSB and DM-II are all different from eachother. RTCs perspective is a compromise of all 3 so the wall bitmaps from the original games don't fit exactly.
THOM
Artisan

Post by THOM »

Well Trantor - I know someone who did a costum design of the cave wallset. Just to see it's been "official" released with the next RTC version...

If you ask nice and kindly - maybe he will give it to you as a present. (wo ich dir doch noch was schulde...)

recolouring can you do by your own I presume?
Duckman
Adept

Re: Easy way to change the color of Wallsets?

Post by Duckman »

Microsoft photo editor (if ye hav one) Does well. It should not be very painful to change colors wit' it, unless there are many different wallsets.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.