(fixed) window spell at doors, bug

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

(fixed) window spell at doors, bug

Post by Parallax »

When viewing a door through a wall, with the window (OH EW RA) spell, the door appears to be facing the party even when it should be perpendicular to the party.

It's a minor point, and I don't know how hard it would be to fix, or even if it's worth the effort.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That's one of the things that *is* worth the effort to fix as it's a flaw that breaks the cohesiveness of the game world.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I actually knew about this, but it's one of those little things that I wasn't going to bother to fix unless someone else noticed... oh well. :wink:

Unlike DM, DSB doesn't keep track of a "direction" for its doors, so the front of the door has to be inferred. I could always make this something that could be optionally specified, though:

Here's my idea:
- Make it optional to specify the "front" of a door.
- If one is specified, it's easy to know when to render it.
- If not, don't render a door if there's a wall in front.

If anyone has a better idea speak now or this'll be what you're stuck with. ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, sophia, didn't you yourself fall foul of this for SS? With that mine door that faced the wrong way because the engine made door assumptions?

Your solution sounds good
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

beowuuf wrote:Lol, sophia, didn't you yourself fall foul of this for SS? With that mine door that faced the wrong way because the engine made door assumptions?
Exactly! That's why DSB initially made no assumptions-- the door was always presumed to be "facing front."

That doesn't work in some cases, though. :)
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Incidentally, how do your stairs look like when viewed from the side with the magic eye? In DM it looks the same as an empty square (a potential spot to improve on), from the "back" the stairs look the same as front.
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I just tested it.
Currently, DSB stairs have the same behavior as doors did before I changed this: You see the "front" bitmap from all sides.
To copy a bit of the code from doors and give them the DM behavior wouldn't be too difficult.

To improve further would probably require new bitmaps... :wink: