Floods

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Floods

Post by beowuuf »

Hey, wasn't sure if anyone got affected directly by the flooding at the weekend, so just wanted to give a 'hey' and :( incase anyone was
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I'm not sure I understand you. What do you mean? I wasn't online at the weekend, so I didn't experience anything. Was there a spam flood on the forum?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I don't know either, but since it comes from the king of the ten thousands posts, I guess this expertise of the 'week end flood aspect' is beyond the comprehension of only 4-digits posters like us. :wink:
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

It's been a tad damp in England lately - even worse than it usually is when Glastonbury or Wimbledon are on :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh dear, we are geeks and sorry, that was a bit of an unexplained post.

Yes, as my friend put it kinda, the war of moisture isn't going well.

Anyway, as I said wasn't sure if anyone on these fourms was affected, so just wanted to give 'hey' to anyone who was if they were around now
bitza
Apprentice

Post by bitza »

I live in a village ten miles from doncaster in South yorkshire, and work in Sheffield. I was sent home on Monday at 2:30pm and managed to get the last bus out of Sheffield. A normal two hour journey took just over 4 3/4hrs. i haven't been able to get into work since as the train services between here and sheffield are still down and the bus services are limited. And yet I was one of the lucy ones. My heart goes out to the hundreds of people who are still homeless (100 people on shelters in Sheffield, 400 in Doncaster) and the family and friends of the 5 people who tragically died. Local weather forcasts reckon this coming weekend we'll get more rain. Thousands of homes in the area are without power and Sheffield power companies are selectively cutting power to conserve energy. there is also concern thatif the local reservior breaches, Sheffield City will be completely without power and local vilages will be even morebadly affected thanthey already are. According to the news today Lincolnshire, Shropshire, Devonshire and parts of Wales have been equally affected. I am sure I am not alone in wanting to send my thoughts and prayers to the families and individuals who have lost their homes and loved ones in this unprecidented flooding.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to air this, I don't often post, but this has affected so many people in the UK, especially in Yorkshire, I felt I had to express my feelings and explain to those outside the uk on these forums what has happened this week.

If there are others who are on the forums who have been affected, my thoughts go out to you.

Bitza
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Parts of Texas got 20 inches of rain yesterday
after 6 days of lighter rain.
Like the monsoon has moved out of the
Indian Ocean to Europe and the US.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

bitza wrote:Sorry if this isn't the right place to air this
Don't worry, exactly the right place!

And yes, sorry for being UK centred (barely listen to local news except for radio at work atm) - so hope everyone is alright who might be affected by anything like this happening at the moment
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I know it's a bit late, but I've been way busy lately. bitza kinda said it all really. My hometown's Doncaster and my mum and bro still live there. They weren't affected homewise, but they couldn't get into work at all. Seems to have eased off a bit but from what I hear it's still pretty bad. My bro's friend had to swim through Rotherham town centre to get home, ruining his clothes, mobile and PSP in the process. I know it's nothing compared to what a lot of people have lost but it puts things into perspective in regards to the things we take for granted. Quite a few people slept in their workplaces as they just couldn't get home!
bitza
Apprentice

Post by bitza »

In what has now become the wettest summer sunce recordsbegan, Gloucestershire, oxford and a number of other areas in the south of England have also been struck by flooding. And yet areas of the continent are apparently being hit by drought and a lack of water. I thnik it's safe to say global warming is here to stay. My thoughts go out to all those who are affected and hope things get better soon.