Kingdom of Loathing

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Okies, one Potted Meat Bush (or whichever one it is) will be in our Rumpus Room within the next few minutes then, I expect :).
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Just a mention - I did buy that Potted Meat Tree the other day - don't forget to stop by the Rumpus Room once a day to pick your meat - you don't actually get an exact thousand each time - it seems to be within 50 of it though...today I got 1047 meat but the previous few times I've had something like 970+ each time :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, I thought it was automatic!

Got quite far through the sorceress quest, though it's wiki all the way - you could spent forever figuring some of these thigns out!

Cool logic puzzle to solve though!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm still on the war (well, started the quest but not actually kicked off the actual war yet)...not really played it since about Monday though - don't really get time during the week.
But that will change from Saturday...:twisted:
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

So, how are you faring?

Just back after weekend away, but basically just need to buff two familiars just incase, and that's it done I reckon :(

I actually think I might leve this one as a normal one, and play with my seal clubber to assension and onwards...we shall see...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think that once you Ascend, you can choose to play Hardcore or whatever but if you don't like it you can just change back to being a Normal char and continue the Ascension that way. I don't think there's any limit to how many times you can Ascend, but I think you get certain rewards if you Ascend in any way other than Normal.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If anyone wants any familiars, I put a baloon monkey, potato sproat and baby killer bee into the clan stash

I've also dumped a few stars and lines into the stash too
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ooh I was trying to get the bee...I adventured in the dungeon loads of times but never managed to get one. I've had a Potato for aaaaages (was my second pet, after the Mosquito), and I made myself a Baloon Monkey a while back too. But I think I'll yoink that Bee, if I remember...:D

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Hey guys. I think I'm done with KoL for now. I'm just bored with it. I'll drop everything I can into the stash, and if anyone wants my account, I'll change the password and give it to you. I beat the sorceress and don't feel like starting over, as things have gotten too repetitive for me. It's not like Diablo II, interactive and occasionally exciting, so I'm gonna retire. The last several days have been a rote for me: hunt bounty, kill ducks, collect food and money from free sources, log off. It was fun while it lasted.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Aww...not gonna bother with starting a mushroom crop and all that, plus whatever you get from your star sign after Ascension? Ah well...maybe you'll get an urge to play it again in the future ;). I think one of the main aims is to try and get all the trophies, as well as completing the game in all the different modes (Hardcore, Oxygenarian, etc). I'm just gonna mooch my way through...well, when I get time...once my comp is here I shall disappear into Oblivion (which I bought today, yaaay :D) for several months...well, in between doing stuff such as eating food and going to work :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I think in a way the forum is probably essential. The game is so biig and weird and sometimes not obvious, I think (like Paul S had suggested for Conflux) everyone should be sharing (in a non-spoiler way) information al the time

The trouble is the spiler site is too easy to find then use, and it robs alot of the replay - where you do the random adventures and then experiment with what comes up while you try to get items

Ah well, sounds like you stuck with it alot longer than other stuff! Nice to have shared it with you while it lasted!

Anyway, I don't want ot lose my own character to assending, so was going to take my secondary seal clubber i half-started instead... might take you up on your offer of that second account instead

I think it would make sense to go stright to a hardcore assention, then slowly take it easier to retain the fun of further assensions (startung to get more and more adventures again as you go less harsh on the food/drink penalties)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

There aren't any food/drink penalties on Hardcore - you just can't buy anything from the Mall/Flea Market (ie off other players) or be sent any items by other players.
It doesn't take that long to complete another Ascension once you've done it once - my dad is on his third time through already...his first run was an Accordion Thief, secone was a Hardcore Seal Clubber, and this time he's another Accordion Thief but I think he's making the run in Normal mode again. He said last night he'd just killed the Boss Bat again. He said he's gonna try a Bad Moon character at some point - apparently it's one of the star signs which gives you really bad luck and crap drop rates and random adventures which only appear in Bad Moon mode and give you bad effects and stuff.
I'm still in the War quest (haven't played for about a week, other than to log on and raid my Arches/Toaster/Clan Meat Tree, so haven't actually started the war itself yet), but I think my comp might arrive today (just checked the tracking thing and it left Maidstone about 10 mins ago, wheee :D) so maybe some time within the next few days I'll actually make some progress...
Oh btw Wuffy, it's really annoying - it's spelt Ascend/Ascending/Ascension, no double letter - arrghh! :P *ducks*
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I meant the special hardcore dietery paths you can do - probably best to go down one of those, oxygenarian if you can, just for the first run to get that oen out of the way so you can have more adventures per day later. I gues do Bad Moon second fr fun :D

And yeah, the seal clubber went surprisingly fast through the first levels - stopped at the Bonerdragon just now to do some side quests.

And ok, i shall just call it spooky upnessing then :D

And have fun with your new computer!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, I shall - it's arrived now, woohoo! :D And got it all set up and everything. Dad said he's not gonna try sorting out the Net till the weekend, boo :P. Oh well, tomorrow maybe I'll try Oblivion :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, I'm officially just logging in with my primary character to try out various things in KoL, and playing properly with my Seal Clubber to get to assention.

I think a hardcore oxygenarian run with something like a Turtle Tamer would be a fun challenge, try a bad moon run back to a disco bandit, then after that mess around with a seal clubber again using the various lesser hardocre paths just to have fun exploring stuff

Edit: Oh, and what do you reckon to a Jukebox and Sun tan bed in the clan for the last two spots in the rumpus room?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, looks like someone's trying to build themselves a Mis-shapen Animal Skeleton ;). Any bones you still need? I've not done anything with the ones I had leftover from making my own skelly, so I've got at least one of nearly all of them...about 95 of the hundred I think. I definitely haven't got any Right First Front Claws though :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Shopping list time!

Thoracic vertebra - 2, 4, 5
Lumbar - 2, 7
Caudal vertebra - 2, 4, 5, 9, 10
Left rib - 1, 9, 11
Right rib - 3, 5, 7, 12
Right scapula
Right humerus
Left radius
Left ulna
Left Femur
Right kneecap
Left front claw - 1, 4
2nd right front claw (got a first!)
Right rear claw - 3, 4
Left thumb
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Still keeping my hand in, going to assend with my secondary character,m while running up test stuff with my retired main one - gunna get him lvel 30 for that cup! Have a few other cups too :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Right, sent - check your KoL inbox :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh, thanks :D
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I dropped 106 piles of bones in the stash for anyone who wants to dig through them. Had all those adventures I wasn't using, so I figured I'd contribute something on my day off.

Edit: Never mind. Maybe I'll try to build one.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol, thought you'd dropped KoL ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOL

And now I feel guilty, I tried to sell my spare bones assuming no one else seemed to be needing them! :(

Edit: Can I suggest loading up on anything you can so increase your item drop rate too?
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I wondered where they all went. As far as I can tell, skeletal animals always drop a pile of bones. I didn't play on Thanksgiving, was there a special event I missed?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I can't remember if they always drop a pile of bones, but if they don't then it's not often that they fail to do so. I would guess there's about a 30% chance of getting a bone from a pile, since regularly I'd have about ten piles and on searching them all at once would usually get around three bones.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The feast of boris just happened again, not sure if it was timed for proper thanksgiving

And skeletal animals don't always drop bones, though as a disco bandit I get an extra shot with pick pocketing...unless pick pocketting steals the bones they would otherwise drop,. not sure...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It seems that way - when I could be arsed to pickpocket stuff, I'd get an item (eg pile of bones) but then they never seemed to drop anything when they died, implying that pickpocketing stuff just nabs you something a bit earlier in the fight than you'd otherwise get it. But I've read that there are certain items (no idea what) which can only be obtained through poickpocketing.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

clown bow tie for one!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm I'm sure I've got one of those, and I haven't pickpocketed anything for aaages...oh well, maybe not hehe.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Another pile of bones, another pile without the claw *tears*