Meeting - what needs done

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Meeting - what needs done

Post by beowuuf »

Thursday pub - confirm reservation from 5pm Thursday (Gambit to do, 5pm or later Wednesday) - the Sherlock Holmes, see e-mail for details

Make contact with cows! - I left a phone message, if anyone can confirm he got in ok and has his hotel ok and that he's blissfully touristy today and ok?

Meet Ameena - cows arranged to contact Ameena tonight to meet tomorrow, otherwise zyx offered to meet thursday, otherwise I can meet at waterloo at 6.45 thursday

Linflas's hotel - linflas has said he'll go and get hotel key himself and meet at pub at 10pm. However, that's a little late for english pubs. Anyone free to get the key? Everyone has the voucher with address in their mail.

Meet thursday - I will be in waterloo at 6.45 and will head directly to the pub. Gambit has said he can go t othe pub slightly earlier than that.

That leaves the five of you in london (and ameena) either going it alone and settling in and meeting at pub at @6 - 6.30pm (or earlier should nto be a problem, phone myself or gambit to get directions) OR arranging to meet in london before
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'm not yet blissfully ok.. my flight was late, there is a passport check on your way out of the airport at gatwick which is odd since already 3 people had to look at my passport just to let me on the bloody plane.. then to get off it the check again just to make sure you hadn't teleported onto the plane midway..

anyway, I'm somewhere in london.. my roaming on my cell phone though confirmed on their web page and worked fine when I had a breif stop over in the US it also worked.. but the moment I stepped into london.. gone!

So, trying to get bearings on where I am, and get my phone unlocked and working here..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That sucks :(

Can you get your mail or do you need the contact list with my/matt's numbers PM'd here?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

But wooty woot, Cows is in England!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll confirm room shortly, will be ringing them soon.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, I'm apparently only a few blocks now from the place, I now have a new phone with only 20 pounds of credit, and is 15p per min.

will send that as an update to the email group since my other one won't work.

wuuf, I may need you to clear up them giving me the room, due to it being in your name.

going to send the email, and then try to go up there. It's good to know there are so many cheap net cafe's around.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

YYYYYYYAAYAYAYAYAYAYYYYYYYY! The man is here! Hope you haven't had too many traumas yet!

OK, I have confirmed the room, we have it from 5pm and I will try to get there for that time. Minimum spend is £75 between all of us which will be easy to cover on the first two rounds of drinks probably, let alone food...

Here's the info again:

The Sherlock Homes Pub
10-11, Northumberland St,
London, WC2N 5DA

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=WC2N+5D ... 0.02&hl=en

I'll email everyone with this update too.

TIP: I recommend all visitors buy a cheap tourist map! I'll keep my a-z on me and people can call me (07733 448854) if they need directions to the pub on Thursday.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok cows, I have my mobile with me so just phone that (or get them to phone that) and I can clear up stuff!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

When I got home from work my dad said Cows had phoned at about half six...I'm sure I mentioned that I wouldn't be home before half seven but I may have forgotten to mention that as I kinda had to shoot out of the door to work. Anyway, err...he hasn't phoned back so I still don't know what I'm doing lol.
I could just get the train at some random time and try to find the pub and err...well maybe that's not a good idea since I don't really fancy walking round London by myself. Ohh btw the Tube is back up again apparently - people at work told me and I think I overheard it on the radio in the stockroom :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, though there are still some weirdnesses

I just got pinned down on the phone so I'm way behind schedule, so am only just now goign to try paul H's new e-mail that i got from his profile - so don't hold out much hope, but you never know

GG and I are meeting at waterloo at 6.45 - 7 by the sounds of it, so you are welcome todelay until then - alternatively, phone mattew and he can guide you to the place, it really is a few landmarks and you are there walking, or if the trains are back, you go downstairs in waterloo, get on the line for embankment next stop (I think that's piccadilly line, might also be the northern ) and you are almost there!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, bear in mind I don't have a mobile...I just kinda scrawled down those directions given by...er..Gambit, I think, from Waterloo to that pub place, and I'll bring 'em with me.
I might end up going to meet you at Waterloo...I dunno...it's a big station so I wouldn't be sure where to go, and all I know is that you look kinda like Rimmer ;).
Anyway, I suppose as a last resort I could find the code thingy that lets us phone mobiles and call you or something, to arrange something before I leave the house...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, i think the simplest idea is to aim to find the eurostar bit inside waterloo, and then go to the entrance nearest to that. It looks over at the imax, and so if we all agree to meet on the steps, it should be ok

I have reeeeeeeally short hair right now btw!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Okay...if Cows doesn't phone me again tomorrow (wish I'd been in when he did earlier lol), I'll see about that then...

Edit - Just checked train times again...the latest train I can get which goes straight from Chatham to Waterloo East with no changes is at 3:18 and arrives at 4:25. So I'd be a bit early, lol. Well, maybe I can find a bench somewhere and perch on that and read my book or something, lol.

Btw if that's what I end up doing, I'll be leaving the house at about 2:30. Since my dad will (well, had better) be at work I'll be on the computer till then. Maybe something can be sorted out for sure, lol.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok, will be busy at work getting everything ready for4 me going, will try to chck in

Sounds like a slow leasurely stroll would get you to the pub in time for it being booked!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Meeting Cows at Victoria in a couple of hours - he just phoned me (dug me out of bed, the git ;))...leaving now, see you all later! :D
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

sorry, stupid canadians.. thought people were normally out of bed after 9:30 ;) which incidentally is about 1:30am for me :D

and just to explain to everyone, I'd finaly seen a bed for the first time in 2.5 days and so even though setting my alarm to phone Ameena back a few hours later.. I apparently turned it off in my sleep and continued on to sleep until about 11pm.. where I woke up and stayed up :P

looking forward to meeting you all tonight!!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Linflas, you want met at the station?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i guess waterloo is quite big, but if you know exactly where eurostar is, i'd be glad to ! i hope you'll find me easily and won't have to phone on my non-Uk mobile !
my arrival time is 19:58.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The stairwell that elads up to the main thouroughfare and the station
Waterloo isn't actually that big all told

If you wait around there then I can find you ther and lead you to the pub!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

great ! thanks :)
if you can't find me, here's how i do not look like :

:wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Heh, just pm'd you independantly

Right, so I'm looking for someone not liek that - whew, that should narrow the search down :D
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Perhaps Linflas could dress up as a screamer and shuffle about the station going "weep-weep!" :lol:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The tired and hungry frenchman disguise worked perfectly well :D
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Bugger it! I was in London yesterday too. Just got a PM from Lunever to let me know about it. Damn! So where are the photos ladies and gents?

Lets see the carnage?

A
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not too late, most of the guys and gals are in london for the weekend - only myself is missing, and ameena needs a prod to come into london

So get back in touch with lunever!

And sorry i never got aroudn to PMing you myself earlier! Crashing comps and india trips got in the way! :(
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

So far so good. I've been dragged this way and that way, but it has been a lot of fun! It's been fantastic to meet everyone too!

I can't imagine it being as much fun by myself. It's always better to have friends to share new sights with :)

Not sure if I can contact ZYX though now, because I tried the number and got some other french guy in bangkok or something.. strange

I wasn't able to get to my tour today. They said they have to have 24 hour notice. So I'm checking mail now.. which is something I have not done in 2 days :P
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

You've got my friend. The correct number was updated in the last pdf sent by Lunever.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yes, it was really nice to meet you, although the coordination in one or another instance during the weekend didn't work perfectly.

It's sad that I only noticed way to late, that Andyboy was neither among those posting in the meeting threads nor was among the regulars PMed by Beo, so my PM seems to have been just to late. Andy, sounds like you were not around London the weekend? That's too bad, next time we go to London I'll think of PMing you much earlier, just this time during the week, working until right before departure and knowing that Beo intended to send a couple of invitations anyway (and assuming that if you read PMs you'd also read those threads anyway) it just occured to me after we already had arrived. Sorry for that!!!

While we managed to meet thursday in the Sherlock Homes Pub as we intended too, and with a bit of delay friday in Crystal Palace, and later got lucky not missing each other on Leicester Square Station, Saturday we waited for Cows at the Westminster Abbey while he was looking for us at Westminster Cathedral, and we didn't make it to the LotR-show to join Zyx & Zyxette, and Sunday my mobile went down and we noticed Zyx message on Safadias mobile a little to late so we just missed them on Leicester Square.

Despite this it was lots of fun, somehow we managed to do both, having a lot of fun together, having nice evenings in Covent Garden's Pubs and still do a bit of sightseeing through various museums and churches and also do some shopping (OMG - we went to the Forbidden Planet fantasy fiction store- you know, actually can't pass through there without buying RPG stuff).

Of course it'd been even better if some more regulars like Andyboy, Copperman or Trantor would have made it also, but then this does not have to remain the one and only forums meeting ever. Who knows, I might see the one or another of you in Canada or even in Argentinia :-D

CU soon, on the forums, and hopefully at some point in the not-to-far-future in someplace physical! :-)

PS: Beo, I hope you'll have a very nice holiday in India!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Tobias and the forums!

Yes, It was really good to meet everyone finally. Unfortunately, I wasn't on very good form due to an excess of work: too much sitting in front of the computer all last week, I was so tired I wasn't very talkative.

And over the weekend, my long term ear problem got quite bad and it hurt a lot on Saturday and even more on Sunday, so with bad ears and headaches, I stayed in bed most of the day on Sunday and missed all the fun.

I couldn't make the Friday due to work, but I did meet with Tobias, Iris and Adam on Saturday at Buckingham Palace. We went down to the Imperial war museum and I really enjoyed it as I haven't been there for years and lots has changed. I was very moved by the "Children's War" exhibition.

We met Benjamin and Ileana (Zyx & Zyxette) on sat eve and had a quick beer before taking a train to Hammersmith to meet Zyx's friend Michelle and we all had a vegetarian curry which was very good. I think Cow's was a little upset at the lack of meat ;-) Zyx's pancake was huge and hopefully we'll see pics of that soon... :-)

As I was not well on Sunday I missed out on saying goodbye properly to everyone. However, last night I received a worried call from Cow's saying that he hadn't confirmed his hotel pick-up to take him to the airport. They were supposed to be open until 2200 but were not taking calls. Having only £4 left, I told him to use it in the morning to get a Tube to Victoria and I would meet him there and buy him a Gatwick Express ticket. So for the first time in a while, I got up early and went over and met him and got to say a proper goodbye, complete with man hug. :-D

By now he will be in the air and on his way home!

It was a great experience to meet everyone. It's just a shame that it wasn't a great week for me, and also Beo who left for India on saturday am.

I don't know when I will be able to afford a trip anywhere, but when I do, I'll definitely come and visit someone!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Should you ever go anywhere near the western border of Germany you are definiteley welcome! And of course everyone of you is as welcome too!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, anyone who happens to be vaguely in the region of Chatham can stop by and say hi, should you for some reason feel a desire to go there ;).
It was a cool meet and hopefully some of us can meet again in future :).