dsb_level_tint troubles

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Remy
Craftsman

dsb_level_tint troubles

Post by Remy »

I'm not sure if I'm using the dsb_level_tint function correctly, because I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried it with various color settings, calling it at different times (in 'dungeon.lua' and during actual gameplay), with different light levels and sources (default, magic, torches), and the dungeon always looks the same.

And just to completely change the topic -- is it possible to display the viewport during a dsb_fullscreen call? It's there before the game starts, but not after. Just a random question.

Oh, and even more random -- the floor_trigger_off function ('triggers.lua' : 224) should probably have line 227 changed from
'elseif (not exvar[id].target) then'
to
'elseif ((not exvar[id].target) and (not exvar[id].func)) then'
otherwise the 'tc' exvar never gets reset and 'func' calls never work again.

Annnnd... is it just me, or does anyone else occasionally hear a giggler laugh during DSB's startup? It doesn't happen everytime, and I used to think it was some sort of signal that an error was found, but now I'm not so sure...

Oh, yeah, one more thing. Is there a reason screamers have a default 165 hp? Somehow, that strikes me as high. Or do we love screamers, consider them an endangered species, and that they need all the help they can get?
Let's give 'em fireballs. Mushrooms tossing fireballs - that's the ticket.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

The giggler laugh is an easter egg. It happens randomly (it has been there since one of the early versions).

Screamer always had high HP and very low armor...
But I agree it's kind of lame that most monsters have very low xp compared with the weakest monster in DM.
But if you're using dsb_spawn I think the HP is randomly modified following some formula using the XP multiplier...
What Is Your Quest ?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: dsb_level_tint troubles

Post by Sophia »

Remy wrote:I'm not sure if I'm using the dsb_level_tint function correctly, because I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried it with various color settings, calling it at different times (in 'dungeon.lua' and during actual gameplay), with different light levels and sources (default, magic, torches), and the dungeon always looks the same.
I think you might be misusing it. Specifically, I'm not sure what you mean by "sources." The purpose of dsb_level_tint is to set the color applied to the dynamically scaled and shaded items. By default, since the dungeon fades to black, this is {0, 0, 0}. If you made an outdoor dungeon that faded to a misty grey instead, you'd want to change this color. That's all it does. :)
Remy wrote:is it possible to display the viewport during a dsb_fullscreen call?
Not yet. ;)
Remy wrote:Oh, and even more random -- the floor_trigger_off function ('triggers.lua' : 224) should probably have line 227 changed
Good observation. Fixed!
Remy wrote:does anyone else occasionally hear a giggler laugh during DSB's startup?
Hehe, it's just a random thing. :)
Remy wrote:Is there a reason screamers have a default 165 hp?
The simple answer is that they have 165 default hp in DSB because they had 165 default hp in DM. Joramun has the more complex rationale right-- they have low armor, so they need a bit more hp to be able to survive anything.
Remy
Craftsman

Post by Remy »

I'm not sure what you mean by "sources."
I meant light sources. When I read "the default dungeon fades to black" I assumed this meant that when there's no light, or very little light, the dungeon by default is "shaded" black, and that dsb_level_tint changed that. But, as you explained, it's for scaled and shaded objects - that is, objects at a distance.
The simple answer is that they have 165 default hp in DSB because they had 165 default hp in DM
I guess I never noticed 'cause FTL DM usually sets the hp for monsters.