Old Book I remember

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
bitza
Apprentice

Old Book I remember

Post by bitza »

Ok, not remotely DM related, but...
When I was at School in the UK, I read a book which was a sort of encyclopedia' of aliens, and I have been trying to remember it's title. It was a large-ish book (a4-ish) hardback with a black cover and silver writing. The picture on the front was of a large, green tentacled creature with a yellow eye which was consuming a space-ship. Inside it had full-page pictures of various aliens, including the above creature (called a 'Space Barnacle'(?)), angels (which it described as 'grey-skinned, winged humanoids with purple 'radiation' halos')and I think one of the authors might have been Clive Something or other.

I know this is rather vague and a long shot, but does anyone else remember such a book. We had it in our school library when I was a kid, but I've never seen it since. It was rather cool, though.

Any chance this rings a bell with anyone? or have I dreamt it?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful... :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm, doesn't ring any bells here, I'm afraid :(.
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I remember this book too!

And no, I don't remember the title... but at least now there's some concept it might actually exist... ;)

Do you think it could've been a TTA Handbook? I have Spacecraft 2000-2100AD, the old edition... that's a fun book too. It was definitely something along those lines.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

When I was a kid there had been a similar book in the city`s library.
Sci/fi monster book, with big images and a short descriptive text.
I do not remember the title..
one monster was a wall monster, one was some sort of troll, sitting squat on a mooring pile with a fish in its claw and had greenish scales or skin, water dripped from it, and also it had wet , black neck long hair.
Maybe it had been the translated version of the very book you mean!
size A4..
memory can play various tricks on your mind. I do not clearly have anything else about it in memory. Also some sort of sabre tiger and a dragon /tyrannosaur creature..Was a nice book!
bitza
Apprentice

Post by bitza »

Sophia: I'm glad someone else has a similar memory to me. I do have a vague memory of a similar book about space-ships, which *was* the one you mentioned, but I've googled the TTA and can't see one about space creatures, so maybe isn't the same.

Zoooom: That could well be a version of this book.

If it helps any, one of the creatures was the werewolf, which was a stationary humanoid plant by day, and a fearsome, black-furred many-fanged beastie at night. (or maybe that was just my ex girlfriend... :wink: )

Hmm, perhaps I should steer clear of cheese late at night... :)