yay this is me venting about the human population

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

yay this is me venting about the human population

Post by cowsmanaut »

I just lost over $1000 of stuff because I'm and idiot and the human population is filled with A-holes.

I went to the mall to quickly grab a bite to eat because I was hungry and wanted to grab something before running off to do a good deed for my Ex.. namley pick up a few items for her. Yeah, this is me being a nice guy.. I do it often and to everyone. In fact I sometimes make myself sick with how helpfull and generous I am. Particularily when I get screwed in the ass while being helpfull.

Anyway, here I am eating.. and when finished I decide to not be like the other pigs around me who just left with their trays filled with filth all over the tables, and I take it to the trash.. where upon two vultures.. er sorry, people.. jump upon my table in a ravenous frenzy. It's due to this sudden action that I don't notice right away I've left my bag there. Now, as they step upon my bag do they call to me as I very slowly and casually walk away? no.. they apparently decide to keep it and likely because inside it is a nintendo DS with mario kart in it, and a $700 camera which is obviously very nice just looking at it for an instant you can see, it also has 3x 2gb memory cards in there for the camera, upon which are several of my photos from london, most of which I transfered off to my computer, but some of which were lost in a recent HD error.. also on there are all the photos I took while recently on vacation to ontario with people I had not seen in the past 10 or so years, there was also a book in there that I've now had to purchase twice because it fell out of my pocket while running in the rain to catch the bus, about 4 weeks ago. Oh, and of course we can not forget my passport which I now need to get again.

Now, this is bad enough, but about 2 months ago, my other bag was stolen which had all my DS and PSP games in it as well as my class lists. So really, in about just under 3 months I've lost around $2000 to a-holes who can not simply do the right thing and return stuff that is not theirs.

Suffice to say, I will no longer carry back packs with me anywhere, in fact nothing that dangles will be taken with me unless firmly stapled to my forehead.

Anyway, to anyone who has read this. Rack up the good karma.. if you find something, go out of your way to return it.

thanks
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

If it's really that simple, then humanity disgusts me. Well, it does anyway, but add this as another example.
Of course, it's always possible to be optimistic instead. Maybe they didn't notice at first, and they'll use the contact info in the passport in order to track you down tomorrow and return the stuff...

That is to say, if you wake up tomorrow and see a flying pig, don't give up hope.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't stop believing in mere human stupidity and laziness rather than maliciousness. It is possible the people at your table did nothing about the bag, too busy to care to look for you or report it, later a cleaner or one of the staff saw it and handed it in to the general lost property, where it will stay waiting to be claimed. Even if you asked at the counter about it, the people there may not know anything about it as it might not have been reported.

Personally I'd go back and ask the mall security if a) they found or had a bag reported to them, or b) if they could look in lost property,

If you have already done that, then that sucks :(

there are good people around who might try to d othe right thing of course, in which case the slow gears of inertia getting anyone else to be helpful might stop you instantly getting your bag back.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Then someone comes along and saves your life.... Doesn't make you feel better now, but when it happens, things come into perspective again.

Sorry to hear your experience.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That does indeed suck big fat ass Cows. :-( I carry as little around with me as possible for exactly these reasons

Sometimes you might be surprised with people's honesty, but on the whole people are selfish and greedy and won't think twice about keeping something that isn't theirs.

I really, really want to buy a good camera this year but am nervous of carrying one around London due to fear of mugging -- or worse.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i forgot my bagpack last week at my office restaurant and a woman brought it back to me while i was already outside.

there are also honest people, luckily.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well, 1.5 hours later I went to the lost and found and there was nothing. One of the people at the counter near where I had left it was simply being a pig about it. He said "no I don't see any bag around, do you?" and looks to the sushi cutting table in front of him. Yeah, very helpful.. thanks :P

I'll try once more today to call... but I have no hope at this point. The thing about is the fact that a DS and a Camera is exactly the kind of thing anyone can apreciate. far too many prescribe to the "Finders keepers" rule.. I know there are people around who would return it. I'm one of them, yet I wasn't the one to find it, and I often feel outnumbered 20-1 in favor of theiving A-holes.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Wow Cows I feel for you, I haven't last anything near that amount. But it still sucks especially last summer when I got Pickpocket at the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport. Bad things happen to the best people, and I'm sorry to say but assholes outnumber the good people in this day and age.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

No they don't. It takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. You never see the good deeds people perform because they're subtle. You always rue the bad things because they stick with you. Of course, perhaps my world is much smaller than yours. Either way, a thousand dollars of stuff isn't something I'd expect anyone to take lightly, and I feel for you. It was also a mall, right? Not exactly the highest moral establishment on the planet.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I've had my mp3 player, someones cell phone, hell even graphics cards and ram right out of the computers, from our very own class room in a well established college.

It doesn't matter the location. There are always people who feel it's their right to go in and take whatever they want. The exist the whole world around too. yet our laws are much more cushy than others. These pricks get minor sentances or warnings.. if they are even caught to begin with.