Défis Fantastiques

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Défis Fantastiques

Post by linflas »

This is a post for non us/uk people who liked Fighting Fantasy gamebooks.
Some pictures were censored in France or maybe the reason was just paper saving. Anyway, i found a site where there are exclusive pictures never found in french books.

http://elterin.ifrance.com/ldvelh/defis.html

The last one is really amazing for me : i can now see how Baron Sukumvit really looked like !
Last edited by linflas on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Which one is Sukumvit? The big guy on the left with the pseudo-japanese-style garb?

Anyways, I remember reading a lot of these books as a kid, but I don't remember if these samples are typical of the quality of the drawings in those books. If not, I can see why a lot of them were left out. Most are mundane, hard to make sense of, or do not match their captions. a few even manage the hat trick.

The only two I would have left in are 5-385 and 6-1, and even 5-385 looks a bit strange. You can tell the artist had trouble with skeleton hips and gave up after botching the first set. It's still way ahead of anything I could produce, don't get me wrong, but I never pretended to be a commissioned artist.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Yeah, Sukumvit is the thaï guy, according to the text in the book.

Quality of drawings is arguable, especially for Citadel of Chaos and by the way, this book wasn't very exciting.
Forest of Doom's pictures are weird but i like this tortuous style and i'm quite happy to see some new scenes for my custom dungeon :)
The 2 other books were illustrated by Iain McCaig, which is probably one of the illustrators who brought a lot to FF ambiance.
And errrrmm, yes... his skeletons aren't especially good. Fortunately, the other drawings are beautiful.

It seems that this page will be updated very soon : i have already received exclusive pictures of "Talisman of Death" from the same guys quoted at the bottom.

ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Wow, this brings back memories, just seeing the first image in the list (Citadel of Chaos). Thanks Linflas.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This almost makes me want to play them again, especially FoD -- that was my first ever gamebook and I have very fond memories of it indeed!

I did actually collect almost the entire FF series using eBay a few years back as you might recall -- but realised it was nothing more than a nostalgia trip and was a waste of money, so I sold them again! At quite a loss too... :-( I can be very silly sometimes....
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Site updated with nice and less nice stuff.
I especially like Trial of Champions and Crypt of the Sorcerer drawings !
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Gambit, that's where a php or flash version of the books would be great. If you just scanned in the pages.. you have virtual books that you can just pull up off A dvd any time you like.... all the nostalgia.. without the clutter ;)