Can't find the "Map Spells"

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DarkShun
Neophyte

Can't find the "Map Spells"

Post by DarkShun »

Hi,

I almost finished CSB. I have the 4 corbums but I am still visiting the dungeon to collect objects of value, and to gain experience.

As I didn't find the scroll with the map spells. I check the map (like
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/127) and I discovered that there is difference between these maps and my version.

I use the linux version from Paul Stevens, installed from the debian package. In my dungeon there is no alcove in (14,01), so no scroll with map spell.

The map comes from amiga version. Paul Steven rewrote the atari version. Is there any magic map spell in atari version?
DarkShun
Neophyte

Post by DarkShun »

Every thing is explained here. http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/249. There is no Magic Map in Atari version, so no Magic Map in Paul Stevens version.

I am a little disappointed :?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The RTC version has the magical map included if you wish to replay under that version with the secrets you learned
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Amiga always ruled !!!! ;-)

But seriously, with the encyclopedia maps, what do you really need the map spells for?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I guessing moving monsters and treasures?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, since the map scroll only shows a small part of the immediate vincinity of the party, and the encyclopedia shows all treasures as well as all monster generators and starting positions of all monsters along with their possessions, and also all teleporters along with their destinations, I usually rather look at my folder of printed maps and never use the map ingame. However, once upon a time when first playing CSB I found it useful from time to use the map scroll in order to notice whether my party had been secretly teleported.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The map spells are great for pinpointing monsters behind walls or showing illusory walls in a funky way -- far nicer than a dry, printed map!
DarkShun
Neophyte

Post by DarkShun »

@beowuuf:

RTC don't seem to work well on GNU/Linux. Moreover I prefer to play with a custom dungeon.

@Lunever:

The maps on the encyclopedia are a little cheat, don't you think so? I use them a lot :-) but I wanted to see a real map from the game and to use new spells.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Right, they are a cheat, but I know the default dungeons inside out anyway, I just use them occassionally to not accidentally trigger a respawn in an area I'm just about to leave, because I like a perfect killing percentage displayed whe finishing a dungeon in RTC.

Well, RTC does have a decent editor and some mods, as does CSBWin. But indeed RTC does require DirectX.