Link to a guide

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ralendil
Novice

Link to a guide

Post by Ralendil »

Hello,

I've discovered RTC few time ago, and I can thank the author for the wonderful work. Now I try to understand RTC editor.
And I face several problems...

The first is, that I can't find a guide here on the forum and the guides to
download one are dead.
So is there one guide around ?

Now, what I would want.

1/ I try to play with RTC editor to look at the possibilities. Actually, I would like to change the spells.
I would want that every spell use something. For the potions I would like that you need a flask of water to be able to create a magic potion.
For a spell 'light' I would like that you need a torch that would disapear after the spell is done.
Is this possible ?
And what are the "commands" we can use in the txt file.

2/ Is there any good materials around ? like what we can see in the exemples of RTC so : new objects, new spells, new portraits etc...

Thank you for any answer.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hi there!

1. Neither of the guides are current and have lapsed sadly.

The best idea is to check out the examples in the example folder to see how to alter spells if you care about the background .txt commands - plus it will explain the methodology for when you go to the editor
BAsically, if you create uniquely named wallitem_action items, then you can target the runes to produce an activate to all of that type of wallitem_action - and then have an instance of that wallitem_action doing the background mechanics - like create potion in hand, etc

You can use conditional relays to interrupt the sdpell, and check for a torch in hand. It could remove that torch, and place a copy with a set lifetime in hand (I think) for your light spell

2. The examples folder has basic examples, but also if you look in the custom dungeon forum you can see RTC dungeons, some with new stuff!

Hope that's a start!
Ralendil
Novice

Post by Ralendil »

Ok ok...

so no guide....
well, I honnestly don't understand 50% of what you said...
I am playing with the text file, cause I have not found one way to add a spell directly in the editor.
I have finally found the list of all things we can do... except that I don't understand 80% of them...
example: ACTION_RUST_MOUSE and all ACTION_RUST.... I don't even guess what "rust" is... cause in my dictionnary rust is something that appears on iron cause of the air after a certain time... I can't see the link with the actions that can target the party or one character...

Well, let's forget what is above... Let's return to my actual problem.
So I try to modify the spell list... and I must say that I fail totally...
I have checked the example, but unfortunally I don't understand it... The action I need to copy is the spell that permits to create a new object dependant of the power of the spell. In the "Actions" dungeon, there's a lot of relays, actions, and counters... I can't figure how counters are working, I don't see why they were added...
Also, I don't understand how the power of a spell is determinated... I have understood that in the relay this is the "STRENGH" LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO and the number put... but how can we determinate these numbers ????? what are the levels of the "strengh" for a spell like Lo Ful ? and how can we calculate it ?

How can we make the new created item (so here a torch) not with 100 charges but a number of charges dependant of the power of the spell ?
How can we make an object disapearing after a spell is launched ?
How can we stop an effect ? is it automatic or is there a need of something to do ? how can you fix the lifetime of an object ?
Is there a possibility to implement a teleport spell, a levitation spell, a heal spell, a resurect spell ? (I would want to do that after my try with the light spell :p)

I have surely not well understood what you said, but as you can see.... I am nearly lost :p
A lot of questions, but.... it will give a better vision of my current problems.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Rust is both noun and verb, so the rust action = turning an item to rust (like the ruster monster was supposed to do). So a sword becomes a pile of rust, armour becomes rusted armour (useless)

The actions let you rust a particular item, or let you rust a particular location (even what is in the mouse hand)

If you look at the text file in the provided editor, you can see the logic of many actions broken down

Counters are simple - deactivations increase their count, activations decrease thwir count, and they work when they have a count of 0. They are mostly used as 'AND' gates - you need to things to activate to allow an effect.

eg a pressure pad that makes sure the party is carrying a stone and a pressure pad that makes sure the party does not carry a sword wound go through a counter that opens a door to make sure both events are true.

Power is internal to the engine - for exampe a low level mage casting lo ful generates a weaker spell than a high level mage with the same runes. This strength is passed on to any objects I thought - I could be incorrect.

Two ways to make an item disappear is two have an action, after a delay, destroy instances of that item. Not ideal, as multiple spells would end at the same time. I nbelieve you can also give a lifetime to objects - this is part of creating a new object type, I think you can clone a torch and give it a lifetime.

All things are possible, but I think you need to play around and get the logic of the engine first. Play around with counters/relays and action objects, play around with the strength of items and checking out spell effects.

RTC relies on not playing around with existing items for new effects - you tend to clone old objects and give them new properties to create new effects

I also have not played around with RTC in a few iterations now, so I am not sure of the limits of the engine anymore. You can always pm or e-mail George (the creator) directly to see if a certain effect is possible

Sorry I cannot be more help, experimentation with basic dungeons is always the best route to go with to start off!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

check DMII.txt too, there are many new actions/spells, but the best guide for actions would be Sophia's last RTC custom dungeons (Surgical Strike 2 and Dark Portal) imho.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Speaking of Sophia, you can also investigate DSB incase you are happier with programming?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Ralendil wrote:How can we make the new created item (so here a torch) not with 100 charges but a number of charges dependant of the power of the spell ?
Clone the WEAPON_TORCH object 6 times, because there are 6 power levels, and change the Charges default value (or the Emitted Light levels) in the "Other" tab.
Ralendil wrote:How can we make an object disapearing after a spell is launched ?
As Beo said, clone the object with a lifetime value = 1 and use ACTION_SWAP_CHARACTER_HANDS with 1=the_object and 2=its_clone for values. The clone may vanish instantly.
Ralendil wrote:how can you fix the lifetime of an object ?
Clone it, go to Other "tab" and put a non-zero value for lifetime.
Ralendil wrote:Is there a possibility to implement a teleport spell, a levitation spell, a heal spell, a resurect spell ?
Maybe...
- teleport with ACTION_MOVE_PARTY_TO_OBJECT_LOCATION (sic sic sic!) but i really don't know how it works !
- levitation by converting any pit in a fake pit with ACTION_SWAP_TILE_LOCAL. the biggest problem is to get the fake pits back to real ones !
- HEAL and RESURRECT because of the existing ACTIONS, i never tried them.
Ralendil
Novice

Post by Ralendil »

Okay...

I have succeeded to create my torch spell, a freeze life spell, an anti poison group spell and a heal group spell.

I will add soon the resurect, so I will be able to say to you if it works :p

I will try the more complicated spells after that... so closing a pit and teleportation (if possible, but I guess it is not - notice: I take any advice for that)

For now, I am very happy of this editor. I succeeded to add several items, several spells, and changed parts of the interface... I have also replaced the portraits with better ones...
Very good editor...

Thank you guys for the tips and infos

EDIT: the resurection is working :D
**me happy**
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

happy for you :)
what is rather annoying with RTC is the lack of information. as i said above, the best dungeons are Sophia's but their source aren't available.
if you managed to make these spells working, it could be great to share them on the Dungeon libraries idea thread or any blog out there...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Glad you managed to create your spells! :D Nothing worse than having good ideas and not able to get them realised

Good luck with the further dungeon!
Ralendil
Novice

Post by Ralendil »

linflas wrote:happy for you :)
what is rather annoying with RTC is the lack of information. as i said above, the best dungeons are Sophia's but their source aren't available.
if you managed to make these spells working, it could be great to share them on the Dungeon libraries idea thread or any blog out there...
Ok that's done...

Except for the torch spell... except if someone wants absolutely it, I won't post it here... Too many lines (6 counters, 13 actions, 13 relays... so 32 objects)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Thank you!
I guess your torch spell is very close to the YA GOR spell in George's "Actions" example, where you have to check in which interval the strength value is : 0-24=LO, 25-43=UM, 44-62=ON, 63-74=EE, 75-87=PAL, 88-100=MON.
that's why you need 6 counters : an interval is 1 or 2 conditions, i.e. 12 relays are needed.
and we can't forget the 13th relay to init all counters to 2 that must be activated before the others !
btw, this algorithm can be applied to all custom spells with different effects depending on the power value.
for example, an HEAL spell could have a RESURRECT effect at MON level.
Ralendil
Novice

Post by Ralendil »

linflas wrote:Thank you!
I guess your torch spell is very close to the YA GOR spell in George's "Actions" example, where you have to check in which interval the strength value is : 0-24=LO, 25-43=UM, 44-62=ON, 63-74=EE, 75-87=PAL, 88-100=MON.
that's why you need 6 counters : an interval is 1 or 2 conditions, i.e. 12 relays are needed.
and we can't forget the 13th relay to init all counters to 2 that must be activated before the others !
btw, this algorithm can be applied to all custom spells with different effects depending on the power value.
for example, an HEAL spell could have a RESURRECT effect at MON level.
Yes it is
I copied it and adapted it

hmmm... correction about what I said... the spell has 38 objects (I had forgotten the 6 torches I created, 1 for each level of power ;))