RIP Gary Gygax

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

how do you know gary Gygax?

who?(answering this will make me hunt you down and explain in great detail who this legendary man is)
13%
Oh i've played D20 and saw something like "inspired from Gary gygax"
No votes
some dude who game a pen and paper rpg like 30 years ago, never played just heard.
No votes
Over the years i've played a few of his D&D creations
73%
I've been following him longer then DM, tracking down and playing his board games as well.
No votes
I went to a convention with him but never knew just who we was then.
No votes
I was blessed and manage to meet him just once at a convention.
7%
As soon as I hear he is going a convetion, I drop everything to go meet him.
No votes
I've known him personally, the reason why i havn't spoken about it and post this thread is I'm still mourning him
No votes
Other(please share and post a message how).
7%

Total votes: 15

ParuNexus
Adept

RIP Gary Gygax

Post by ParuNexus »

It pains me to announce this here.... Gary Gygax the father of D&D died today. Like mentioned in an old thread: If Gary Gygax didn't create D&D then DM would never existed. I'm still shaken to the core about this. "the pain is still to near"
ParuNexus
Adept

my gygax history

Post by ParuNexus »

I grew up playing D&D basic an off shot from the orginal D&D, while Gary favored the ad&d specificly he has done some work with "d&d basic". This was shortly before I heard of Dungeon Master.
I've played maybe 3 ad&d games(AFIK 2nd edition) in my life. I kinda lost track what he was up to sometime before 3rd edition\D20 was created. Still even if I only played D20, he means alot to me. I wish I could have met him once...
Thanks to him I was able to create my new identity (Paru), Almost Every game I ever play is paying homage to him by using a similiar name from my D&D games. In wow i have 3 characters based from my D&D basic games(slight name change):
Kloudfiend, cloudfriend & agarwaenisil first 2 are mage & warlock, based from Gavin Cloudeyes. the last one is a kinda amalgram meanign "blood stained silver", I tihnk used some tolkien for it too. Based from my Elven Ranger Akira Silvermist(get it... Blood elf + silver...)
In the MORPG game EUO(http://swut.net/EUO/) I have like 3 characters.
ArchmageGavin, cloudeyes, & Stoutheart. the Last is taken from Bandor Stoutheart a human fighter.
I even recently joined a free Everquest server where it continues... 4 different Gavin's at Shards of Dayala.
Gavinz = my "wizard part of Cloudeyes", Gavinn = Necro part.
Gavenc = enchanter
Gavian = magician. plus tons more games.. sigh goodbye Gygax :(
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

The wikipedia entry has already been updated with this sad news. This dude must have created so many happy memories using pure imagination alone. Respect. Condolences.

G.Gygax:
I would like the world to remember me as the guy who really enjoyed playing games and sharing his knowledge and his fun pastimes with everybody else.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

It was Dungeon Master that made me interested in Gary Gygax work in the first place, so it seems befitting, that it is the DM-Forum that makes me aware of his unfortunate death.

It's sad to hear he has died, and it's sad that wrong medication sped up the process of his terminal illness.

Nowadays role-players who haven't been in old D&D/AD&D 1st and 2nd Edition sometimes say that they find Gygax style of dungeoneering-oriented rpg still advocated by him even in the recent years antiquated, and that they prefer a more story- and character-oriented approach to rpg, like Ars Magica or the Storyteller rpgs. Yet, while Gygax may not have kept pace with those developements, without him, those developements wouldn't have been possible in the first place. Without Gygax, there probably wouldn't have been the leap from the finite space of gaming tables to the infinite space of imagination.
Without him, there wouldn't be many of the memories that are still important to me.

Far well on your last great journey, Gary Gygax!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This is sad news.

Oddly, I think I'm one of the few here who never actually played D&D though I have always been aware of Gygax as its creator. The only RPGs I ever actually played was Middle Earth Roleplaying back in the mid 80s -- and a quick test of the FF RPG rules, again back in the day.

I was mainly a solo gamer: gamebooks and computer games like DM were thie things I enjoyed. I guess all of these owe a debt to D&D.

Gygax has left a fine legacy and long may people find delight in his creations.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I used to play D&D in the 80s and Gygax was revered like a god.

It says here http://www.newsweek.com/id/118775 that the old, sick Gygax still played D&D regularly right up to his death. Unfortunately he didn't quite get his missus up enough cleric levels in time...
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

As Lunever, My first experience with RPG was Dungeon Master.
Then my interest grown until I actually started to play Pen&Papert RPGs.

Altough I do not like D&D as much as Warhammer (more a matter of taste reguarding the ruleset and the kind of approach to fantasy) I do enjoyed some D&D adventures and most D&D related videogames (Eye of Beholder, Baldur's gate, Icewind Dale, Diablo above the others) and I do know that without this man the RPG-Videogaming worlds would be very very different today, IMHO in worse.
Just think about that: without Gary most probably we could not have played Dungeon Master at all!

I (with a dozen of other players) had the blessing to have a Pizza with him at a convention in Modena (Italy), I think it was more or less 10 years ago, and I can confirm he was a splendid person, very youthful and with a unique way of telling stories.

I can also add that my life would be totally different without his contribute to the gaming world because without him Dungeon Master would not existed, thus I would have lost the possibility to get some interest in RPGs, without RPGs I would not have married my wife.

So, a big THANK YOU FOR ALL, Gary. You will be forever in our heatrs!
Don't let a closed door stop you
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

I started playing the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons in 3rd grade, and when 3rd Edition rolled around I bought all the official guide. I would play it with my friends online using an RPG client, Needless to say Pen and paper RPGs have always been my favorite, and the genius that was Gary Gygax will be missed immensely.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well I started when AD&D 2nd Edition was already published for a while, but many players were still playing AD&D 1st Edition. Waaay back! Stirs many memories thinking about it. It's safe to say that Gary Gygax has influenced my life significantly.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

I never played too much P&P, but i am playing Dungeons&Dragons Online for like 2 yrs now (just in case you wondered where i have been). Gary Gigax narrated one of the dungeons there (Mystery of Delera's Tomb), nice tribute to him running it over and over (also nice Exp there ;)).
zoom
Grand Master

Re: RIP Gary Gygax

Post by zoom »