New wallsets with new doors help!

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

New wallsets with new doors help!

Post by ShaggyDowns »

Greetings everyone,

I finally created a new wallset and implemented it in my dungeon. I took some walls/tiles from another game and it was no walk in the park trying to get it to fit correctly. It's all good now though, so I started to put in the new matching doors and doorframes.

The problem is, I noticed you can't scale the doors like you can the doorframes for what you see 2 spaces and 3 spaces
away. This means my new doors aren't matching up at a distance with the doorframe like they do when I standing in front of it.

I also noticed the same problem with the new wallitems I added. They look fine up close, but when I move 2 or 3 spaces away they start to move up in the air. It would be nice to be able to edit these items like you can with the walls and doorframes to scale them correctly at 2 and 3 spaces away. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

~SD~
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Isn't that affected by how many scalings you set on the item when you add it into the editor in the first place? I'm not sure - that's just a guess...
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, wallitems and doors need 3 scalings.

By how much are the items moving? If It's only a little, It could be that your wallsets don't match RTCs usual perspective and so items appear to be misaligned.

Post me a screenshot by private message if you don't want to reveal your work publicly yet, and let me know what your offsets and scalings are for these items.
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

Hey all,

As far as my new walls go, I needed to totally resize them, so they are not scaled exactly to the DM wallsets. This is why my doors and wall objects are not lining up correctly.
Ameena wrote:Isn't that affected by how many scalings you set on the item when you add it into the editor in the first place? I'm not sure - that's just a guess...
This could be fixed, but the editor does not allow you to give doors multiple scalings options like walls. Under bitmaps for doors, there is only 1 field "Front".

The same goes for wall objects. You only get 1 field for the "front" and then a side and right field. With walls, you get multiple front fields, so you can scale them correctly.

So now after struggling putting in a whole new wallset, I come to the door problem. The only thing I can think of is creating a whole new set of doorframes with the door already included, since I can scale the doorframes.

Problem is, I would have to make the actual door invisible, so at a distance the door and frame would line up. Although, I don't see an option on doors to toggle it to an invisible state.

I could then use the keyhole or door button to toggle the door visible, open and the set of doorframes that are without the door. Does anyone know of an easier way to make this work? Would save me a lot of time! :lol:

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated!

P.S. Gambit, I sent over a PM for ya...

~SD~
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

ShaggyDowns wrote:First off, can I minimize the RTC screen when I am playing. It seems to only allow me full screen?
There is an unsupported (ie, possibly buggy) window mode. Add the line FULLSCREEN NO (with a tab between the two words) to your config.txt and set the SCREENMODE to 640x480x24. You can minimise the game while in window mode but it might cause problems to your Windows session.
ShaggyDowns wrote:Next up, how can I take an in-game screen shot?
CTRL+P
ShaggyDowns wrote:the editor does not allow you to give doors multiple scalings options like walls. Under bitmaps for doors, there is only 1 field "Front".
You misunderstand -- when you import bitmaps, there is an area on the import screen with radio buttons setting the number of scalings for the item. Doors and wallitems must be set to 3, monsters and items set to 6. Most other items are set to one. Look at the settings for existing things to see what the scalings should be for different types of objects.
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

Gambit37 wrote:You misunderstand -- when you import bitmaps, there is an area on the import screen with radio buttons setting the number of scalings for the item. Doors and wallitems must be set to 3, monsters and items set to 6. Most other items are set to one. Look at the settings for existing things to see what the scalings should be for different types of objects.
When I imported my new bitmaps I did scale them correctly. I set the doors and wallitems to 3, just double checked. My guess is because I don't have my new wallsets resized exactly like the stock DM wallsets, it's messing it up.

When you create new wallsets, do you always have to have the exact size and bitmap placements as the stock DM wallsets? I will fuss around with it some more and see what I can come up with. If anyone else has any other input, please drop a post here.

Thanks again everyone for all the help!!

~SD~
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nope, you don't have to match RTC exactly on wall sizes, but you have to do the work to ensure everything lines up correctly, usally with lots of layering in Photoshop. It's *hard* to do it well, so don't be discouraged. Perseverance will yield results.

Check out Linflas' RTCWM tool which can help a lot:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=25048

:)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Gambit37 wrote:There is an unsupported (ie, possibly buggy) window mode. Add the line FULLSCREEN NO (with a tab between the two words) to your config.txt and set the SCREENMODE to 640x480x24. You can minimise the game while in window mode but it might cause problems to your Windows session.
in window mode, the resolution must be 640x400, not 480. otherwise, the image is stretched.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Not any more, GG fixed that in 0.47. Windowed mode now works the same as fullscreen, there's no scaling.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ohh, didn't know that... i liked playing in 960x600 windowed.
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

Gambit37 wrote:Check out Linflas' RTCWM tool which can help a lot:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=25048
Awesome!!! This tool looks sweet, haven't had a chance to mess around with it a lot, but I like what I see. Thanks Gam for the help and Lin for making this tool! I will let you know what I come up with when I get some more time to play with it. :wink:

~SD~
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

linflas wrote:ohh, didn't know that... i liked playing in 960x600 windowed.
Sorry, that was kinda my fault, I asked for a consistent behaviour of managing 640x480 screens versus the 640x400 'internal' resolution on both fullscreen and windowed setups. I didn't really think about the other consequences of GG implementing my request... :(
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

Linflas,

Your RTCWM tool rocks! Had a little trouble getting it to work, but it's all good now. Making things a lot easier and saving me time, which is awesome. Still have to do some editing and adjusting after I get my wallsets, but it's a ton better then before. Now if I only I could find a way to make the image editing go faster! :wink:

I do have another question though. Is there a limit to how big your dungeon/rtc file can be? I was loading in a ton of custom sounds and it seemed like around 300 .wavs I started to get errors and sometimes all the sounds that I had already loaded would vanish, like I didn't even have any (including the stock ones).

I would reload my save and try again and it seemed like around 300 it would keep happening. Lucky for me, I saved right before it started happening so I didn't lose much time importing. It got me thinking though, how much custom stuff can I load in to a single dungeon/rtc file? Images, sounds, etc.??? Also, is there a limit to how many levels or areas a dungeon/rtc file can have?

Thanks in advance, the help is much appreciated!

~SD~
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i don't know the max size of an RTC file but you should compress your wavs in ogg or mp3, you will gain a lot.
i think RTC can handle 255 levels of 255x255 size, but i'm not sure.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Shaggy: Yes, I'm concerned about file sizes too.

I don't think anyone has pushed RTCs limits properly yet. I have some test dungeons around 50-80MB, but they only have a few replacement images and few large MP3s in them, and I've had no issues with them yet.

I have no idea what will happen when I actually get everything in that I want. I imagine the files will be around 300-400MB! RTC is much more memory efficient than it used to be, but I guess it has its limits.

How big is your RTC file? How much real/virtual ram do you have?
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

linflas wrote:you should compress your wavs in ogg or mp3, you will gain a lot.
That's a good idea, didn't think about that! :wink:
Gambit37 wrote:How big is your RTC file? How much real/virtual ram do you have?
At the moment my RTC file is 8.46 MB, but it's mostly just been from me adding a crapload of new edited images, sounds, etc. Also, from running lots of tests and seeing how everything works using different methods/setups. I haven't really began building my dungeon yet, just getting lots of cool new stuff in so I will have everything available when I start! :lol:

That was why I was wondering about the size, because maybe I shouldn't be adding everything in, just what I will need when it's time to start building? Oh, I currently have 2 gig of real ram as well.

Thanks for the help all, it's much appreciated!

~SD~
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

Gambit37 wrote:I have no idea what will happen when I actually get everything in that I want. I imagine the files will be around 300-400MB! RTC is much more memory efficient than it used to be, but I guess it has its limits.
Hey all,

Has anyone noticed or had RTC running slow at times when moving around in your dungeon? I thought I read a post about this a couple weeks ago, but can't seem to find it or remember what it said now. I am wondering what would happen if you had a lot of animations going at once in your dungeon. I have some wallitems that have animations as well as many monsters.

Thanks in advance,

~SD~