Anyone playing DM in DOSBox?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Octopuss

Anyone playing DM in DOSBox?

Post by Octopuss »

I hope so.
I prefer this over any kind of clone. One problem though - I cannot use arrow keys at all! Have to use numpad, which is absolutely unnatural, unfriendly and confusing.
Anyone got an idea what the problem might be?
ShaggyDowns
Apprentice

Post by ShaggyDowns »

Hail Octo,

I started to play DM in DosBox, but then I came across RTC so I stopped. I agree not being able to use the arrow keys is a pain, but I didn't try to figure out if I could change them. After taking a peek, I found that when you load DosBox and press "ctrl-F1" it will bring up the keyboard layout. I am guessing you would be able to change it there, but I haven't tried. Looks that way though!

Also, in the DosBox folder, there should be a dosbox CONFIG file that you can edit up. Give those a try and I am sure you will be able to figure it out.

Good luck!

~SD~
mikko
Craftsman

Post by mikko »

I think the numpad works fine. It's not far from the arrow keys on a normal keyboard, so if you can use the arrow keys, I don't see a problem with numpad. And besides, you can't strafe with the arrow keys (or you can't turn, which is much worse!), which makes them kinda useless..
money
On Master

Post by money »

I agree with Mikko, this is how i've always played DM on the PC. Think it was different on the Atari?!? But if it's a pain then you can do as Shaggy suggested and map the keys in Dosbox.
Maven
Apprentice

Re: Anyone playing DM in DOSBox?

Post by Maven »

I play DM using DOSBOX on SuSE Linux. I like it a lot. Biggest bonus over actual DOS is the ability to exit the game without rebooting.
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Just in case someone hasn't found out yet, there is new version of DOSBox available for a few weeks :)
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

Dosbox freakin RAWX!!! It's much better than I anticipated it would be. I just downloaded it yesterday and after following the instructions I was up and running DMPC with no problems. I love the array of features it has. Lots of adjustability with video settings and sound. ShaggyDowns said he started to play DM in DosBox, but then he came across RTC so he stopped. Well, for me, RTC is good and all, but the biggest thing DMPC has over it is the fact that it works with DMute, while RTC doesn't. RTC's editor does not allow savegame editing. Which I feel is crucial for editing. If DMute allowed you to import RTC Saved game files, that would be a different story. But since it only recognizes DMPC dat files, that is reason enough for me to stick with DMPC.

It's a shame neither RTC's or DSB's respective editors allows for savegame editing. I'm quite surprised to be honest. At least CSBwin does.
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

I use dosboc 0.72 and i was playing with the mouse, then i practiced with the numpad and it's very easy, it just takes some time to get used to. But when a battle occurs, i use only mouse. I didn't try dosbox 0.74 yet.
Archendrus
Neophyte

Post by Archendrus »

I just recently discovered DoxBOX : ) I went a lil' crazy and downloaded a TON of freeware games, most of which I'll probably never get around to playing lol. Anyone use one of the frontend programs for DosBOX? I have DBGL set up for it http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/I don't think I really NEEDED a frontend, but I found it helps keep things organized and allows for faster and easier configuration. You can set up different configs for each game and save them which is great : ) In regards to the numpad controls, it's not too too bad, but a lil awkward if you like to use the mouse and keyboard at the same time.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Is it possible to change the basic 16 colors with one of the frontends?
Somehow my C-Shell has black instead of white as 1st color - pretty unusable that way.
Archendrus
Neophyte

Post by Archendrus »

Hmm, I'm not sure how to solve that = \ I can't find anything in DBGL or even DosBOX itself that let's you edit/reorder the color pallete. There's quite a few options as far as what kind of machine it emulates (vga, svga, ega, and so on) and multiple options for graphics output (directdraw, direct3d, opengl). All the frontends don't really add any extra functionality to DosBOX (besides allowing multiple config files), just a simpler interface to it.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

One game I've never managed to get running in DOSBox is the original LBA - no matter what I tried (including everything suggested on any website I could find, including the DOSBox website itself, of course), it would still cause the same error :(.
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Archendrus wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure how to solve that = \ I can't find anything in DBGL or even DosBOX itself that let's you edit/reorder the color pallete. There's quite a few options as far as what kind of machine it emulates (vga, svga, ega, and so on) and multiple options for graphics output (directdraw, direct3d, opengl). All the frontends don't really add any extra functionality to DosBOX (besides allowing multiple config files), just a simpler interface to it.
Yup, evil problem is, that programs usually cleanup their stuff when exiting, so the palette always gets restored.
Then - that program I'm talking about comes with sourcecode, so I may have a chance to fix that somehow myself.
I was just hoping that there is an easy solution.

@Ameena: Which one?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Errr, which what?
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

That game that you never managed to run in the box - but - better pm me, I already smell the offtopic-ban ;)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

We're still discussing DOSBox, just not specifically DM in DOSBox ;). Anyway, "LBA" stands for "Little Big Adventure". There were two such games, but the second one was Windows-based as it came out several years after the first one. They're both cool games, but due to the aforementioned DOSBox problems, I haven't been able to play the first one again for years :(.
Oh well, maybe I'll have another bash at it one day and it'll decide to work ;).
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Then... gogogo!
http://www.dosgamesonline.com/index/gam ... nture.html
unpack it - then i hope you can unpack the arj-thing then. It's all correct, if the biggest file lba_brk is around 3.9 MB then.
Do all in one directory, this extra packed thing too.
Launch setup.exe.
Select as graphics card the vesa compatible, for sound and fxsound soundblaster 16 at int 220.
Then - launch lba itself - Win7 should do it! If not (no fullscreen support on notepad i.e.) - launch it in dosbox. it really should work when it runs even on my ticklish notebook...
*Bit hugs Ameena - you'll make it!*
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol...I'd never thought of trying to download the game - we still have the actual physical CD version, you see, so I've always tried to run it on that - it shows the intro logos and stuff, gets as far as the main menu I think, then when you select "New Game" or whatever, it just boots you to the DOS prompt saying "No CD", despite the disk already being in the drive. It's a problem that seems to have cropped up quite commonly (judging from forum posts and stuff I've browsed), but it seems like the suggested fixes have worked for all those people - I just kept getting the same problem, lol.
I'll try it again some day, when I feel like I want to play LBA again - right now I have a game on the go and a bit of a backlog of stuff waiting to be played ;).
Apprentice

Post by Fermen »

I play it in DosBox, think it works fine just klicking the arrows :)
Stingm
Apprentice

Post by Stingm »

I would like to add that getting the frontend DBGL and running dosbox version .074 makes things much easier. You set your own boot options and never have to play with the config file. It also helps with graphics and sound settings. I know this was mentioned above but if youhaven't tried it, you should. By the way you have an excellent site here.