Critical/Non Critical bitmap positions-- what gives?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Critical/Non Critical bitmap positions-- what gives?

Post by Gambit37 »

In changing the interface to a fully high-res version, I've noticed that some bitmaps can be easily moved around and have different sizes specified, while others have to remain the original size and their position cannot be changed.

It seems that the elements that can be changed appear within the dungeon view/inventory, while the others that can't be changed are the elements outside the dungeon view (runes, movement arrows, etc.).

I understand this restriction is probably because you've hardcoded all the interaction points to specific areas of the screen.

But if you can move elements within the inventory view, why can't the same behaviour be applied to the other elements?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

As you say, the difference is really a historical distinction and not needed any more. If you find any specific ones that irk you, let me know and I'll fix them!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Off the top of my head, the champion portrait box and death box generate critical errors if they are not 134 x 58 -- RTC won't compile and the editor spits out an error.

I haven't checked the others for ages, but I suspect similar problems exist with other things. I'll experiment a bit.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hang on, are we talking about the same thing? I'm basically asking if we can re-position interface elements that have a default position of 0x0 (the engine overrides these with its own internal positions.)

Everything I've experimented with to date would suggest not, but you're saying we now can?