Ability caps :(

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Octopuss

Ability caps :(

Post by Octopuss »

So I hit 999 stamina on my badass dwarf. Buhuu :( I somehow hoped 3 digits is not the cap, seeing there's room for one more on both sides (current/max).
Will find it harder to find motivation to train now, lol :D

For anyone wondering - I've been stuck with this particular save for who knows how long, maybe two years, maybe three, playing pretty randomly. sometimes I mindlessly bash screamers with shields while casting fireshields for a week few hours a day (usually at work, when there's spare PC I can let AutoMouse do the dirty work on, hah)...and then I forgot about it for several other weeks or even months.¨
Vivat different playstyles :) I just enjoy training... Do you find it insane to have mon masters ninjas on 4th level? (I guess it's 4th, plenty of worms and the infamous screamer room)

Now that I think about it I nver was too far into the game - best was like at lvl 10 or so some ten years ago when I was still in the high school and borrowed myself an ancient 386SX/16 with B/W monitor and soundblaster sound... Whoa. Ironically enough, the more I upgrade my home PC, the older games I play. I guess when I buy me quad core CPU and 8GB RAM and move onto Vista, I will play stuff on C64 emulator as DM and Commander Keen would be too new :D

So much for some random mind flow before bed :P
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Post by Parallax »

Honestly? I find that the difference between expert and archmaster in terms of abilities is imperceptible. Besides, with the way the levelling is set up gaining another level means doing more work than you did for all the previous levels combined, which I consider boring.
A more interesting challenge, to me at least, is trying to win while leveling as little as possible.
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Yeah exact opposite to my idea :)
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Anyone managed to get any abilities over 100 except for anti-useless-magic?
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

In DM2 I had a champion with Wisdom over 100. I don't think that was with using the Tech Helm either, but it might have been.
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

I am close, but not close enough.
Chani will hit 100 wisdom for sure.
The fighters MIGHT get 100 dexterity if I am insane enough to get to archmaster fighter (got ninja already). Might, maybe...
And I also reloaded probably about 1000 times during levelling, too :P But I think it was worth it - the numbers I got on them are pretty good I think.
I know it's half useless, but... I get weird good feeling from levelling :D
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Just noticed this. Makes me feel good, just to know I'm not the only person who sat around restarting time after time, trying to get the maximum benefit for going up every level for each character. :P
"Wuuf's big brother"
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

hell yeah 8)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

One more point for mana. One more point for dexterity. One more point for strength. Etc...

It was worth the millions of hours, to have 'just a little' more POWER TO ANNIHILATE the beasties! :lol:
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'd prefer to learn how to do more skillfully with less and see more dungeons!
dayday2008
Journeyman

Re: Ability caps :(

Post by dayday2008 »

I'm glad there's an abillity cap! The last game i played took me years and i only managed to get Gando, Boris, Wuuf and Tiggy to Um master wizards.
In the new game i've started i chose Stamm and Halk, I'm up to the worm run before the screamer room and they are both Craftsman fighters and priests and Journeyman ninjas and wizards, i think i may be able to get them near Archmaster before reaching Lord Chaos and the Dragon but we'll see!
Revolutionary Greetings!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I think I once had Anti - MAgic above a 100. Hisssssa had in a CSB import game 96 Strength. Um master fighter and Ninja or something like that.
really makes me wanna train again . ..lol
octopuss, would be cool to see your champions if it is not too much trouble to get a screenshot up here. :) A warcry -like "yeaharr! salute". (Use warcry with auto-mouse in front of screamers to train fighter and priest levels simultaneously.)
edit: that is ee master not um master
Last edited by zoom on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

dayday, in a normal game of DM, you won't get close to Archmaster levels. You will need countless hours of training. Anything above UM master is pretty unusual. Have fun with Stamm and Halk!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Even taking the same group through both DM and CSB - with a small amount of training in the screamer room - I think the highest I got to was ON master. I don't know if I ever have had a "natural" EE master. Certainly not in DM.
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

So your saying its really difficult to get to ArchMaster without sitting for hours on end shouting at screamers or clicking punch. :| Hmmm... well i'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.
Revolutionary Greetings!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Good luck! Octopuss used an auto-mouse program, MasterWuuf used a pile of nickels on the keyboard...maybe one of those will save you some clicking?

Let us know how it goes!
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

I'll just use my fingers, i'll let you know when they fall off! lol.
Revolutionary Greetings!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Back in the Amiga days, I tried to get to Archmaster and trained for days, maybe weeks in the Screamer Room. Highest I got was EE master Wizard. But of course, I didn't know about experience multipliers back then. Still, getting to Archmaster is something you need a LOT of patience for... It might be easier (and less boring) in Conflux, but I suggest you only play that dungeon if you are a true masochist...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, conflux = cool!

And yeah, I only got to archmaster with a coupel of the wizards on level 9 (rat level) and level 13 (against chaos). Not exciting at all, the onyl reason I did it was to see if anything cool would happen/ Sadly, nope.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

beowuuf wrote:No, conflux = cool!

And yeah, I only got to archmaster with a coupel of the wizards on level 9 (rat level) and level 13 (against chaos). Not exciting at all, the onyl reason I did it was to see if anything cool would happen/ Sadly, nope.
Did you reach archmaster with, or without, the firestaff in hand?
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

With at first, then attempted without to make sure that didn't mean something
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

I got archmaster ninja on screamer level :P Admittedly, not too hard. But still archmaster :P
I haven't played for lots of months cause I got addicted to Anarchy Online again, but was thinking about DM a few times :)
Someone asked to see my champs - I will post a screen shortly (in a raid atm :D).
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Ok let's see what I have here:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wooooo...cool...and all that just from the Screamer Room? Bloody hell, lol.

Post by Octopuss »

I have been playing this game on and off for few years lol. Like 3 with breaks? Im not sure. I just want to have kickass champions for most of the levels :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol wow, that's a lot[/]i of training. I can never be arsed with it. I wonder how that team would fare in CSB, given that, as far as I know, the overall difficulty of the dungeon is adjusted depending on the strength of the party you take in there...

Post by Octopuss »

I don't know, but I think I once created or imported something like that and got assraped by the worms in first room in under one minute :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Bloody Hell! And you did all this without any anabolic steroids? :shock: Octopuss, are you training for the Olympics? :roll:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Do you mean like mental asyllum olympics? :P
I don't know, I just want the best no matter what. Bout 15 years ago I got as far as on Chaos level, but the party was gimped to hell. After a few years I started a few new games and eventually ended up with this :)