iPhone port

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Garden Dwarf
Neophyte

iPhone port

Post by Garden Dwarf »

Hello !

I am strongly surprised that nobody is speaking about an iPhone port of Dungeon Master ... Even running the Java version on it.

Nobody is interested ? Did I mis something ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Welcome to the forums. *waves*

I don't think you missed anything :-) Clearly no one here has an iPhone!

Care to give it a shot?
Garden Dwarf
Neophyte

Post by Garden Dwarf »

Thanks for the *waves* :D

If I am right, I must have a Mac to do something to port DM to iPhone (SDK only available on this OS, right ?).

I am a computer scientist, but what can I do ?
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Garden Dwarf
Neophyte

Post by Garden Dwarf »

Thanks for the link, but ... JavaVM is not yet available for the new iPhone's firwmare (2.0) :'(

As the OS on iPhone is close to Linux, it could be possible to adapt something but in my search I understood that iPhone SDK is only available for Mac users ... and I am on Windows ... again : :'(
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Gambit37 wrote:Welcome to the forums. *waves*

I don't think you missed anything :-) Clearly no one here has an iPhone!

Care to give it a shot?
Lol no one here has an iPhone? Are you sure ;) I've got one and would love to see this ported to it :D
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
jamos
Novice

Re: iPhone port

Post by jamos »

I was hoping for a Iphone/pad port but does copyright issues prevent this I am wondering. It is really hard to get apps approved by Apple!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

There's other mobile thingys besides the Apple ones - I know there's one called an Android which is apparently quite popular, and I think it's open-source or something, or at least you can use stuff on it and change the set-up at your leisure - unlike Apple stuff, I'm told, where you can only use Apple products or something. If there was a copyright issue preventing something being made for an Apple thing, sod 'em and make it for something else ;). I don't have any of these poncy phone thingys with all these games and Internet and stuff so I don't know too much about them, but this is what I gather from the people at my gaming club who know all this tech stuff ;).

Post by jamos »

Yes Android is open source and if you dont have ATT you can use open source programs (ATT locks android to only download on the Google Marketplace). If there was no licensing issues I could see this app going for around 3$ a pop.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The issue wouldn't be with the phone, then, it'd be with the original makers of the game - Doug Bell, Wayne Holder, etc.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT port DM for iPhone or Android and distribute it through the official Apps stores. To sell through the Apps stores, you need to own the copyright on the entirety of the App.

You MIGHT be able to offer a FREE PORT through an unofficial channel, as long as you make no claim to the source, and credit all the original developers.
jamos
Novice

Post by jamos »

Would need to get the copyright last I knew EA owned it with buying Interplay which produced DM2. Could be a profitable experience if someone were to get the rights to it.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Interplay may have had something to do with it, but it was FTL actually made the games, hence the FTL logo that comes up at the start ;).

Post by jamos »

Is FTL in business still?? I thought they were absorbed by Psynosis.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No, FTL don't exist. But Wayne still holds copyrights on their game IP. Psygnosis were just distributors for the re-releases of DM/CSB, they didn't own the IP.
MagnetKatRocketerr2
Neophyte

Re:

Post by MagnetKatRocketerr2 »

[quote="ian_scho"]The source for DMJava:
http://homepage.mac.com/aberfield/dmj/index.html
http://www.germanja.de/mirror/down.php?fchk=1

Enjoy!

Umm, the macintosh link is qoute "unavalible service" :shock: i have tried many sites that offer dmj mac, but they all revert me back to that link; "unavalible service" :|
please help :(