DM savegame usability?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Octopuss

DM savegame usability?

Post by Octopuss »

I guess this is answered _somewhere_, but um... yes I am very lazy at the moment :P
Can I use savegame from DOS version of DM in CSBwin? When starting out of course.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

To be lazy, I will answer yes :D

Ok, to be longer - open the dmsave game in a decent version of CSBuild, let it endian convert the heck and just save es to everything it does, resave as 'csbsave.dat or csbgame.dat as if it were a csbsave.

Open in CSBwin and keep playing for carrying on the DM game, and 'make new adventure' to start CSB with the same characters. Voila
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

cheers :)
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Ok um... How do I load it? All I can do is load one of the four CSB save slots.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

When going into CSBWin select utility instead of dungeon on the first screen that opens up. Then load up your save game from here and save as a new adventure.

But...it might not work. I remember having to get a special version of CSWin called....something....something with 'CSBWin' and 'size4' rings a bell. Whatever it was it's on Paul's website, dianneandpaul.net, so you could search for it there. Then use that to create the new adventure, then go back to normal version of CSBWin. But...that might not work if that older version of CSB is not compatible with savegames made from the latest version of CSBuild.

Hopefully it just works in the first place. Good luck!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

no, csb size 4 was probably a test used for having four large monster on one tile

If you have a file called 'csbgame.dat' in the root directory of CSBwin, then you can load it up. Hence why I said to resave dmsave.dat as csbgame.dat after it has converted. Using the utility, i think only csbsave.dat can be used - or that used to be the case...
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

renamed dmsave.dat to csbgame.dat
went for utility and selected csbgame.dat
oops - saved game error

there's no convertion option at all

I really got no idea what to do
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

edit:
I am so fucking blind.
CSBuid. Gotcha. I thought I am to use CSBWin all the way.

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”