Dungeon Master Playstation 3 Trailer!

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I bet some old member of this forum is giggling his **** off atm.
Who was playing lately with Spore editors? (/me runs&hides)
Still - much love put into it!
I feel honored that Gothmog is used - so ... T0mi???
:lol: :P
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Gambit37 wrote:Many thanks to Roquen for posting a good analysis of the video too. It was clear to me that it was just a mockup, but it's great to have a detailed view of how we came to that conclusion.
And besides, Lord Chaos' eyes looked silly, in my honest opinion.
When the "bad guy" has "loser" eyes (looked like two pieces of candy off those old "necklace" candy rings), something stinks.

I'd still like to see a "neo-Wuuf" running around, looking like MY avatar.

"Woooooaaaaahhhh, Ms. Wuuf, what big TEEFERS you do have!" :twisted:
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, i used the name neowuuf in my dm story
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

After seeing this trailer, regardless of the likelihood that it is an animation rather than a game engine demonstration, and regardless of whether the graphics are state of the art - if it were a real game, my friends and I would buy it in a second.

I would even be willing to buy a game console just for this game, provided there was mouse support. I don't think I could bear to play DM on any system without a mouse (or touch screen), and since consoles such as the PS3 and XBox360 are apparently allergic to mouse and keyboard, I would hope for a PC version. It would be a tragedy for a new DM game to be released without mouse support, and my hands ache just thinking about it.

All I can hope for is that a developer such as Bethesda will decide to buy the rights to make a DM game, as they did with Fallout. It seems that this scenerio, along with a big sum of cash directed at Wayne Holder, would be the only way that we'll see a new commercial DM game.

Still, it doesn't hurt that an enthusiast made a trailer for a game that they obviously would like to be able to play. Maybe it will give someone the right idea.

Cheers!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Wayne! PUH-LEASE???? Oh purty PLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE????

Oh, and Wayne? Thanks for DM. You made so many of us allergic to sleep for many nights. :wink:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Masterwuuf, please don't quote full posts when your reply comes next in line; it's pointless. Thanks. Please see our forum rules:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=24291
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

beowuuf wrote:lol, i used the name neowuuf in my dm story
But we all know it was just a typo. :wink:

Many people seem to be very enthusiastic about a new DM game, and I honestly wonder why. There is only so much you can do with the DM formula - in fact, I would say that DM and CSB pretty much exhausted all there is to it (sure, you can do some nifty effects in details - see Conflux for a ton of them, but the basic premise is still the same there). Expanding on the basic gameplay would mean a whole different game. But how much new stuff can you still do today? As I said in my post above, the same leap in innovative gameplay and intuitive interface that DM gave us in 1987 can not be done today anymore, since games have simply evolved too much.

Looking back, what did DM do that was so great?

-Real-time!
Real-time games are pretty much the norm today. In DM's case, it created high tension when battling monsters and added time-based puzzles to the mix. But the tension wasn't just so high because it ran in real-time - it was also because of the tile movement. This movement pattern, with "dancing" in fights, attacking from the side and the back, allowed the game a strategic component in the fights. We all know a new DM game would feature free movement, which would mean we lose this strategic element. The game would feel more like a shooter and less like a dungeon crawl - a bad idea in my book.

- Great puzzles
What kind of puzzles could be done that weren't already present in DM? The only thing that comes to mind would be something like the "create my own teleporter"-stuff found in the highly amusing Portal and something involving gravity, but that's about it. Could be ok, though.

- Perfect blend of playability and depth in detail
Getting the hang of DM is easy, but mastering every aspect is hard. This is one of THE most important aspects of an addicting game (after all, this is what made Diablo, and to a lesser extent Tetris, a huge hit). DM actually handled this balance perfectly in my opinion, and it would be really hard to find this balance if more attention would be payed to detail (like different injuries having different effects).

In essence, what I'm saying is that a new game would be hard-pressed to live up to its expectations. Change it too much, and you would get a game that is probably indistinguishable from many others. Leave most of it intact, and you will find out that DM was already very close to perfection. If you are still not convinced, take a look at DM2. It certainly was a good game, but nowhere near the "immortal classic"-status of DM and CSB. In parts, it was too close to DM/CSB and made it clear that those two were almost perfect; in other parts, it tried new stuff that just didn't seem to work.

All in all, please no new DM game.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree with Trantor. A new DM game using modern mechanics just wouldn't be DM. That's all.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

By the way, I don't like the graphics of this new "PS 3 DM trailer" (actually, it looks like a school excercise of someone studying information technologies - my brother made something similar, so I know what I'm talking about). It looks too unnatural, unreal, artificial, photoshop-like. The walls look like made of... uff... plastics? or aluminium? I don't know. Everything looks so tidy and clean, like, like... an airport toilet?

I prefer the original DM graphics - yes, it's old and outdated and low-resolution and everything, but still... I think it makes such an old and ancient and gloomy atmosphere, everything seems so gloomy and scary and in decay, if you know what I mean. I think the graphics made a half of the success and atmosphere of the original game.

This new graphics wouldn't scare me at all. But... after all... I don't wanna be rude... yes... a nice try it was, davedog. It's better than nothing, I have to admit. At least did something. Keep trying! Really!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Hmmm. But then, I was exalted to "hyperventilation" when I realized
Dungeon Master II (Skullkeep) had come out.
Weird changes, including the attack/carryall/etc droids, didn't rob me of the
fact that it was Dungeon Master (oh glorious "take three, take four, take twenty-four").

I guess Rocky and Rambo hold something for those "addicted" to sequels.

Hey, when people actually "watched" Toxic Avenger II?
No doubt there could be a marketing strategy that would also make money for a series of DM sequels.

Perhaps some of the "old heroes" were somehow "infected" with a CHAOS SPELL?

DM: Attack Of The Old-Ones. Master Wuuf Gets Rabid.
I don't know. I'll probably get my "hand slapped" for that last one.

Sorry BEO buddy. I have a "more than passing" DM passion.
"Wuuf's big brother"
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

In Search Of Dungeon Master Grail
But
Resting Now, as
Banned User
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bwaa haa haaa:
it's the FMV from Dungeon Master Nexus on Saturn.
Those were way better than this cheesy fan demo!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I checked it out. Those AVATARS are enough to cause a person to "sit back and consider the purpose of life" all alone and by themselves. :shock: :lol:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

Gambit37 wrote: FACT: Wayne has ZERO interest in doing anything with this IP these days

Now, unless anyone can persuade Wayne to change his mind, (which is even less likely than seeing a tap-dancing sperm whale travelling on the top deck of an open-top bus while whistling "If it ain't got that swing" and eating nachos) -- no new Dungeon Master game will ever happen.

Sorry, but that is the situation.
He can also sell his rights to some company interested in making the sequel or give license for making a DM remake.

The question is, would be any of major developers interested to resurrect Lord Chaos ? We know, the old school game style cannot be brathtaking on nowadays demanding market but.. a good idea + good engine + a group of talented designers could make wonders (with some our help if they let us follow alpha and beta like blizz is now doing for SC2 and D3).

I imagine some cool game engine (PhysX or Havoc impemented) + well scripted quests and well designed dungeons giving you that feeling of narrow stuffy claustrophobic corridors filled with traps and waiting in shadow mobs could be quite successful.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Interplay's back! I'm sure they have their hands full with trying to get investors and develop some products based on the IPs they own, but they made a lot of good games so I expect they will succeed.

Since they published DMII, perhaps they'll take an interest in the DM property someday.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

That's it, keep getting my hopes up. I'd almost settle for Lord Chaos Meets the Mario Brothers.
I'll probably end up in some Rest Home, playing DM 12: Gothmog's DDR Challenge. :shock:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

i agree with Trantor, although a point i'd like to add is that DM, although had awesome graphics, decent sound, and top-notch playability for its time (and decades to come ;) ) it still appealed to the imagination - it got the balance just right of showing you what you can see, but also letting your mind wander as to what it would be like to be in your party's position. modern games just TELL you what's happening by showing you with fancy graphics and cut-scenes. compare this to the other end of the scale - a text adventure, a really good text adventure would whisk you away into your imagination, allowing you to build up the scene in your own mind and to your own making.
Dungeon Master is balanced perfectly in the middle :wink:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Black Eagle, I think you just perfectly summarized what I couldn't quite lay my finger on. This mix of imagination and experience is what makes me enjoy older games a lot more than modern ones, and I absolutely agree that the balance is perfect in DM. Today's games are just too much "in your face" for me, not leaving any details to the imagination, and thus less enjoyable for me personally.
Babe Bridou
Journeyman

Post by Babe Bridou »

eh :(

I fell on that video today and immediately came on these boards to see if you guys had something to say about it.

Sad to read it's really a hoax, well at least my expectations were not high as one of the musical themes you can hear during the trailers (the female singing) is not original, and I doubt they got the rights from Future Sound of London. I found it funny that I recognized the title right away as I haven't listened to it for the past 10 years.

In case you wonder and would like to look it up:
Artist: Future Sound of London
Album: Dead Cities (1996)
Track: 5 - Everyone in the world is doing something without me

Really good stuff.
tzoneman
Novice

Re: Dungeon Master Playstation 3 Trailer!

Post by tzoneman »

When I first saw the trailer, I too was excited. Heck, even thought I don't have dsl for my xbox 360, with this supposed new DM game, I was ready and willing to put the money out just to play a new game; so bummer to hear it was a hoax.

I for one, being an old DM player like the rest of you good folks, would LOVE to see a new DM game produced; but I would like it to be more like the original rather than something like Quake and newer games with high graphic qualities.

However, I would like to play something that is kind of like this trailer - something very close to the original DM, but suped-up just a tad.

ALSO, there are small online 360 games that are made that don't cost very much to produce, and little to purchase (online games, I guess), so I see no real reason WHY a new DM couldn't be made in this vane.

Again, bummer to learn that there is to be no new DM; which I consider THE BEST GAME EVER MADE! I played the PC version a year ago, and basically it all came back to me, and I truly enjoyed it, even more so that so many of today's games.
"Here where time and space collide"
rodi
Neophyte

Re: Dungeon Master Playstation 3 Trailer!

Post by rodi »

I am disappointeed there is no version of Dungeon Master for Xbox 360 or PS3

But I think it would be difficult to do a Dungeon Master game today : the speedy gameplay of Dungeon master is binding of the 2D, a Dungeon Master in 3D would seem like a FPS and that's why the gameplay could be the same