Snow!! :D

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Snow!! :D

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, I've just been out for the last couple of hours taking a walk around Crystal Palace. I took some photos on my crappy phone: it's so beautiful! Everything is cancelled and kids are playing and building snowmen. I built I rubbish small one outside our flats but I got cold fingers, so it's only about 2 feet high and a bit anorexic :)

We must have had about a foot of snow altogether. I was still up at 2am watching it lay and there was a very brief storm -- the lightning lit everything up in a spooky blue, it was amazing, really magical. :D It's so quiet around here today too, it's lovely.

The only downside is since I work from home, I have no excuse not to do my work :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Here's some pictures of where I live, from this morning's trek. Sorry about the poor quality, I only had my mobile phone and the camera on it is poop. Some of you might recognise a few things... :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthill/
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I love the photos! Makes me miss the UK a little bit...

A glass of cheap, quality red wine will soon cheer me up again though :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Walking to work passed slower cars - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Other people got home early, but not us prodction related manager people :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If the trains are running tomorrow, I think I'll probably die en route to the station from slipping over and splattering my brains all over the road or something ;).
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

So do I! Shouldn't the snow lay on the invisible palace though?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Looks a little different in the snow, yes? :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That and it doesn't have DM people sittng all over it :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

All right. Don't talk about snow any more! At least this year! I'm beginning to hate it!

I've been climbing up and down the roof of our house for about two hours now to get the snow down. In some places of the roof, there's more than one and half metres of snow (the whole shovel disappearing... vertically). Wet and heavy! I'm really worried about the roof's construction, it's more than 60 years old...

And... "what's over your head is soon under your feet" - because once this amount of snow starts melting, the water gets into our cellar, so I will have to get our water pump into the cellar and I'll be sitting there at the pump for several days and nights pumping the water out! I know it, it repeats about twice a decade, last time it happened back in 2006.

So don't talk about snow any more!
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I thought I was done talking about snow, too... but then it snowed again. Just yesterday and today. It's not supposed to snow this late. :P
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

it's no longer snowing out here, but there is killer frost going on each morning and still remnants of the vast snow piles that once were... 0_0
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's warmed up considerably this past week - okay so I wouldn't exactly call it toasty outside but I walked most of the way home without my fleece on yesterday. It's a bit cold still, but nowhere near snowy-cold. Maybe it'll suddenly freeze up again randomly - can't tell these days :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

true! i was too warm at work, and snuck off all the heaters :)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

The snow has come to bavaria. Chaos on the streets the last days.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok, that tears it :P it was not supposed to snow again.. but it did.. lucky us it didn't really stay.. it's just really cold again and frost all over, a bit of snow on the tops of cars... but still, it's not supposed to snow :P
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's been sunny and warm here today -- didn't even have to button my coat up :-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, today was a nice day. It would have been lovely and warm except there was a rather cold breeze blowing. Of course, we could suddenly be plunged into a random blizzard or something at any time, but for now it seems to be getting gradually warmer, and it's not-quite-completely-dark now when I leave work, woohoo :).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

It's about +3°C here, the snow is melting, but we have still about 60 centimeters of it. I've got a bad feeling about this... I'll better get the water pump ready and put it into the cellar. Yuck!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

So, we have another winter, and another snow! :)

It looks like Christmas here - and it's the middle of October only! We have about 30 cms of new snow, and it's still falling! I just came from Prague to the Highland for the weekend, the train was terribly delayed. In the places were the track is cut into the earth, there was about 50 cms of snow lying on it. Sadly, those broad-leaved trees still had green leaves when the snow came, and the snow was very heavy, and so it broked many branches or even whole trees :( , and the railway was covered with a mixture of snow and branches and leaves and debris and everything. When I was going, one line (track) of the two was already closed and our train was going very slowly on the other, and when I came home they were just saying on the radio that the second track had been closed too - so I came with the last train that made it through for today! Oh my, I'm a lucky boy! :D I was talking to a few engine drivers that were going home on the same train, and they told me that they had been stuck with their trains for about 12 hours on about 20 kms of the railway, from the end of the night to the afternoon when a heavy snow-plough on a train saved them. And now it's all closed. So they have vacations. :)

But I'm afraid that the snow broke many trees in our garden :( - I'll have to check it tomorrow.

And I bet there won't be any snow on Christmas! :?

And the snow keeps falling! I'll have to make a few snowmen tomorrow! :P
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wow, snow already? We had a bright day! It's time for silly weather, apparently
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It's cold here, about 4° C, which is rather odd, since we still had over 20° just two weeks ago. But snow is not here yet. Can't say I'm sad about that.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's got a bit chilly here over the past couple of weeks, with a few rainy days, but that's about it. Heh, snow...usually we don't get any of that stuff till, say, January or later, and then it's not very deep and lasts about a day or two before it all melts. Oh, and during that time (usually starting from the morning after the first day of snow), hills become lethal ;).
Artisan

Post by Trego »

This is like the weather channel.
It got a little cooler here too, well the locals were complaining about the cold, I just Roll My Eyes (RME) at them, it was only 26° C, they don't get snow.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, it's sad - I checked our garden and found that some minor branches were broken, but one walnut tree was broken literally into two pieces. Oh, it brakes the heart! This walnut tree was about 10 years old, and I liked it a lot, because it was "planted" by a squirrel, who dug a nut into the soil to "hide it for the winter", and I found there a sapling next year, so I moved it into a new place and it has been growing very fast for ten years. And now it's broken. Ahhh. :(

I'll have to check our forest tomorrow, and I think the losses will be larger there - as I saw other forests from the train yesterday, most of the birch trees, for example, were broken, and we have some birches there. :( Awww. :(
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Jan wrote:...it was "planted" by a squirrel...
That was cool. I hope it found enough nuts for winter and survived.

I miss the snow, the cold not so much...sorry to hear about the trees.

The trees, the trees, wont anyone please think to the trees (not counting the squirrel and Jan).
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Trego wrote:That was cool. I hope it found enough nuts for winter and survived.
Yes. Actually, the squirells regularly visit our bird-feeder in the winter, so we keep large stocks of various nuts in the feeder for them. When I think of it now, the number of squirrels has been rising in our garden for a few years, and they seem to be larger and fatter now, especially in the winter. I wonder if there's any connection... wait... why, you little... :)

The squirrels are really funny. In the autumn, I always "meet" one in the garden, a nut in her mouth, running frantically here and there (sometimes even bumping into my leg with her head), and digging and hiding the nuts around into the earth (older and sieved compost seems to be the best hiding place for their nuts :) ) - they never find their nuts later, they never remember the places, so we always find a lot of nuts in the soil in the spring. :D

Our dog always tries to hunt for the squirrels, but he's never caught any, they always climb in the trees, and then the dog is standing under the tree, looking surprised and stupid, and he's wondering "where did this animal go?" :P
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I like your descriptions of the squirrels Jan (I love all rodents, especially guinea-pigs). What you say reminds me a lot of Scrat.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hahaha ohh Scrat is funny :). And yeah I agree, I like your description of squirrels too. I sometimes call them "squips" for some reason. I seem to have nicknames for nearly all rodent species...not sure why.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Hmmm, I checked our woodland and found that only two or three trees were broken by the heavy snow - alright, so it was not so bad, I'll clean that next weekend... unless Zed releases another dungeon... :)