Snow!! :D

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Snow!! :D

Post by beowuuf »

Snow came earlier to lighting dust the place, but didn't stay, but the clouds looked right for it to not turn to rain. Right now there's a light powdering outside and it's cold, so I think there'll be a small smattering of snow tomorrow. I walk, and we're really busy, so don't think I will be pulling a sick day!

Hmm, 12.17am? That's not good...I guess late shower and need to let hair dry means I will be having less sleep than I should :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!

SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

ROFL.

We have only about 5 cms of very "dry" snow here. It's very cold (-10C now, and the temperature drops bellow -15C at night), so there's not so much snowing, but it looks like proper winter and it seems that the Christmas time is coming! :P

It looks that all birds from Europe have decided to ruin us and our bird-feeding economy - I think I'll have to feed them with a shovel, or I don't know. The bird-feeder will probably collapse under them.

This morning, I was watching the feeder, when a kite (a kestrel - Falco) came, fast as a lightning, and caught and killed one of the smaller birds. :( It's a life, however!

And now, as usually, Her Majesty Magpie (Pica pica) came to check the bird-feeder and peeps into my room! *bows to the bird* She's the queen of our garden! :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

We we in the pub last night after our film society's Christmas film (ultimate teary feel good, It's a Wonderful Life), and stayed drinking till 130am -- and for the last few hours there was a bit of a "light blizzard". Several inches of snow walking home, it was magical. I saw afox wandering about in the ditance, illuminated by streetlights, it was picture postcard stuff :-)

Still quite a bit on the ground this morning, better get out for a walk before it all goes!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Oh no! :( I have people flying over to see me, going through Stansted. Lets hope the snow does not get too thick there.

But once all flights are over I will be hoping for a white Christmas! Some guy who lives in the mountains and predicts the weather based on the movement of animals, the height of corn during the various seasons, the colour of light shining on the side of mountains, etc. has said that it will almost certainly be a white one. Not very scientific, but you never know!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

oh_brother wrote:it will almost certainly be a white one.
I like how he covers all bases ;-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

And here I am at home...I had to get up at about quarter past eight this morning (the time I normally get up for work) just to havea quick check of the trains website and then go downstairs to phone work and tell them I wouldn't be in today - my dad couldn't get to work either 'cause there were no buses or anything. And then I went back to bed again. For about four more hours :D.
Zomg a three-day weekend...looks like I'll have some extra time to install that new game I got for my birthday this week and start playing it, oh no :eek:.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Gambit37 wrote: I like how he covers all bases ;-)
True, it will be impossible to prove him wrong. That is the way with a lot of these things: if the prediction is correct then it gets reported a lot, if it is false it is forgotten about. So people only remember the accurate predictions.

He actually said “Predicting one day precisely is very hard to pull off, but I’m almost definite – about 90%”. So actually I would say his predictions are more bold than those of most Met Offices (especially as he said this several weeks in advance). That said, even if his predictions are bold, they are not necessarily accurate. :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Ameena wrote:Zomg a three-day weekend...looks like I'll have some extra time to install that new game I got for my birthday this week and start playing it, oh no :eek:.
Oh! Happy birthday, Ameena! :D And congratulations for that three-day weekend! You get up for work "at about quarter past eight"? Wow, cool! And you slept for more four hours! Wow - even more cool! :) Did you build a snowman? I can't do it here - the snow is too light and dry and cold. :(
oh_brother wrote:He actually said “Predicting one day precisely is very hard to pull off, but I’m almost definite – about 90%”. So actually I would say his predictions are more bold than those of most Met Offices (especially as he said this several weeks in advance). That said, even if his predictions are bold, they are not necessarily accurate. :D
LOL. This July I was biking in the Highland, and I met a farmer cutting grass for hay with his tractor. He asked me about the weather forecast. The Sun was shining, no clouds anywhere, and in the morning they had said on the TV that no rain had been predicted for that day. So I told the farmer he could leave the grass on the meadow for night to get dried and that there wouldn't be any rain that day. He thanked me for that information. Then I returned home and within a few hours a terrifying storm came, the rain looked like a tropical monsoon, our streed looked like a water stream. I imagined the poor farmer in a rain-coat, pulling his grass from the local river with a pitchwork and cursing me and the Met Office... :|
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe it was my birthday on Tuesday. I'll be getting a four-day weekend next week because I've done all my Bank Holidays for this year (so I wouldn't have to do these ones :D), muahahaha :twisted:. I didn't exactly sleep for four hours, that's just how long I spent in bed. i did sleep for some of it though. Took a while to persuade myself to get back up from the nice warm snugginess ;).
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Happy belated birthday Ameena. It's freezing here as well, -10°C during the day, -15 in the night. Crazy when you consider that 4 weeks ago, we still had something like 15°C... I just hope the weather will remain dry so I can safely drive home to my parents on Sunday.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena wrote:.looks like I'll have some extra time to install that new game I got for my birthday this week and start playing it, oh no :eek:.
Oops, I remmeber you mentioning a birthday coming up or just passing, but can't rememberwhen it was - Happy Birthday! Maybe...

*runs*

Edit: ah, reading the other posts helps... happy belaed birthday for Tuesday! *still running*
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol thanks ;).
Doesn't seem to have snowed any more today...but maybe it will. Maybe it'll snow a lot on Sunday night so I won't have to go to work on Monday either ;).
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Snow chaos at Friday - minus 18.5° C right now (because we usually never beat Berlin in this, I think Trantor is already freezing) - and same what Ameena is expecting for today. Someone check the gulf stream please...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Still no more snow :(. It's been sunny both yesterday and today now, dammit - that always seems to happen. We get snow enough to bugger up the roads and stuff, then nothing but bright shiny sun till it's all gone and melted :P. But you never know, it still might snow good tonight! It was "supposed" to snow pretty well down here at around 3am this morning, but umm...nope :P.
Knowing the way things usually are round here, this is probably it now till either about February, or about this time next year :P.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It *was* snowing in the night -- I got a cab back from Balham to Crystal Palace around 1am and there was quite thick snow falling, but it wasn't cold enough for it to settle and the roads were too wet. Probably a good thing, would have been really icy today if it had settled and frozen.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The snow/ice is still lying as it's cold enough, but after the inital snow I do not believe there has been another lot of snow! Madness!

Anyway, good enough weather to walk to my christmas party place (it's pretty close this year), just got a few hours to get stuff together, grab some lunch, and so forth
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If it doesn't snow any more tonight (I mean, train-stoppingly hard), then getting to work tomorrow will probably be...interesting. It's impossible for me to get down town (where the station is) without going up or down a hill, so I think I'll leave a few minutes earlier to make up for the time it'll take me to slowly make my way without slipping over and killing myself ;).
If it does snow hard again, of course, I might turn out to get a four-day weekend instead ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Ameena wrote:If it does snow hard again, of course, I might turn out to get a four-day weekend instead ;).
... and other four hours in bed! :wink:

We had a beautiful walk with my girlfriend today, we spent ca five hours out, walking in the Highland, it was quite cold (-10C) and windy, but the sun was shining, no clouds, and the snow was bright and gleaming, there were no people around, we didn't meet anyone, only many deer (running randomly here and there in confusion when they saw us, lol) and there were many Common Buzzards (Buteo buteo) circling over the forests, screaming typically and looking for some food. So it was a wonderful walk. :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I shall soon-ish be walking out to party, trying not to fall over and damage by packed suit :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Have a nice party!

You can use crampons, but don't step on someone's foot! :wink:

Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

We had that snow today. Those who should care for the streets are the most laziest bunch in whole germany. All around they have been pretty busy and all is okay. Not in our town - that's typical.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Not having been outside since Thursday evening, I have no idea what the roads/pavements are like beyond my own road. I imagine quite a lot of the snow/ice has melted, though, but I bet the bits that haven't will be very slippery. If it doesn't snow loads tonight, I expect I'll be finding out tomorrow morning ;).
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

:shock: Not outside since Thursday evening?
Not that it would be because I hadn't two free days in a row since two years now, but I must go out at least two times a day or I would get crazy!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, it's all cold and snowy outside - inside I have my computer with, you know, the Internet and the new game I'm playing at the moment and stuff ;).
Anyway, I checked the trains website right after I got up and it looks like there's delays on some lines in Kent, just not mine :P. From the looks of things, it hasn't snowed any more (at least, not outside my window :P), but it's very obviously cold and iced-over. I'm gonna leave the house a few minutes earlier than normal 'cause I'm sure it's gonna take me a bit longer to get to work over all the slipperiness ;).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

*NOW* it's snowing properly -- and my road is blocked by a skidding bus that can't move. When it snows in England, It doesn't take long for "chaos to hit the streets"!!!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

When I left work it was really snowing quite hard over in Bromley, but here it looks as though it's probably been only raining (meltwater all over the place, lots less ice on the roads than there was this morning when I went out). But maybe the snow will get here later, or something. Only one way to find out for sure ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Weeeeeeee, full day of snow! A winter wonderland! You can tell I can walk to and from work, can't you? Though hope everything gets back to normal for trying to get to Aberdeen later in the week

Weird to walk home, the usually deserted (at this time) roadsides in the b-road had tons of people wlaking along, cars parked on the sides, and sloooooow moving cars!

I'm going to enjoy this while I can, once it melts and freezes, my usual fast walking pace turns glacial :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh yes, haha, you mean your secretly-rocket-propelled-walk-that's-even-faster-than-my-not-very-slow-walk...I've been having similar trouble, having to stomp along carefully and not pushing my foot forward with each step so I don't slip over. Been walking in the road where possible (on quiet roads, obviously, not on the main road ;)), since there are "paths" that have been worn through the snow/ice by car tyres. I just have to make sure I get out of the way (without falling over! ;)) if I notice a car coming. But they're moving so slowly themselves that I have plenty of time to get out of the way.
Still hasn't snowed here yet...but, you know, if it's snowed hard enough over in Bromley maybe the trains will still be fooked tomorrow ;).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, people are dumb. My street has become a one way ice rink and yet traffic is still trying to pass both ways, on a hill, in the dark -- and everyone's behaving like stupid children. Sometimes I really do wonder about so called human intelligence!