What do you think you would try?

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Duckman
Adept

What do you think you would try?

Post by Duckman »

For change, let's imagine ourselves away from computers, but still near it's stuff. Actually closer than we would want!

In this topic imagine YOURSELF adventuring in DM dungeons. I post some situations where to imagine yourself. What you would do/attempt in certain situations, tell us. There are not right nor wrong answers, this is just discussion. Feel free to post your own situations too.

These questions might sound very serious. You might think that you cannot really know the answers for ceratin. Worry not trough, no one could. This theard is not 100% serious. We are trying to awake quessing and comments and questions, not trying to figure what their sender really could manage. Respectively, remember that others too are here to just awake discussion and discuss. Please try to not judge people by what they say here.

Question 1 by duckman: You are chosen by the king to do the Surgical Strike to the enemy. Teleportation system has been improved slightly: it can now take some nonliving matter with the champions, but only very small amounts: you can take ONLY what you are now wearing in real life, not inducling any items what might now be in your hands/pockets, nor hats nor bags of any sort if you happen to have them with you. And you can choose any non-metal footwear in addition. You must take one, but ONLY one, another member of these forums with you (you cannot ask their opinion), and he/she has the same rules about what to take. If you refuse, you will be executed by the king and your chosen sent alone. If you refuse to choose anyone, you will get Jimbo the town drunkard with you. WHAT WOULD YOU DO/ATTEMPT TO DO?

Question 2 by duckman: You have adventured two days in a very classic dungeon with a mission to kill... something... in bottom of the dungeon. You have not yet encountered any hard battles nor anything too hard yet, just few screamers which were too little to cause any dangerous soundwaves, and a mummy which you managed to trap in an empty room. You have a big waterskin, enough food to last you fairly well at least three days, leather armour inducling good boots, few keys and an iron longsword which is light but not made very well. One day after waking up and eating some food and drinking from nearby fountain, you continue exploring, but behind one corner you notice a pit about 5 meters away. It is so large you would have no hope at all to jump over it, and when you look in there's a way out at bottom, but the fall is 3 levels, about 9 meters. But when you turn back you see a wing eye apporaching. It blasts at you and only a very quick leap behind the corner saves you. It's blast was very strong: bricks fly from wall the ray hit, but you are left unharmed. You must do something before it reaches the corner, but only way out is to leap into the pit, probaly risking your leg bones seriously. Opinions are either the eye or the fall. WHAT WOULD YOU DO/ATTEMPT TO DO?

HALL OF FAME (Users who have made their own guestions):
(leader) Trego: page 3, 3 quastions in total.
Oxman: page 2 and 3, 2 questions in total.
Joramun: page 3, 2 quastions in total
Oh_Brother: Page 2, 1 question in total.
Jan: page 2, 1 question in total
TOmi: page 2, 1 question in total
Sophia: page 2, 1 quastion in total.
Last edited by Duckman on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:42 am, edited 8 times in total.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: What would you try?

Post by Trantor »

1. I'd take Sophia, as she would know exactly how to do the Surgical Strike. :D If that doesn't count, I would take Zyx. Whenever we would reach a trap or a puzzle, I would ask him what he would have done if he had designed the dungeon. Then, I know the worst possible outcome.

2. I assume that exploring for a few days would make sure I have a flask and gained some levels. So I'd jump into the pit and then brew a VI potion.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

1:Wow you are good thinker. What would you take for your feet?

2:Are you sure? If you manage to get your ankle ligments or bones severed i would imagine it will take a very strong potion to fix them. And the flask may also well shatter in the fall (Not in dm but in real life would). Also, try not say priest LEVELS, that term belongs to game world.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

1) I'm currently wearing only a dressing gown, so I think I'd end up doing Surgical Strike as Arthur Dent. I'd choose slippers for my feet. And to come along for the ride, I'd choose Beowuuf, as he's a lateral thinker and can see solutions to problems that other people would simply miss. Plus he's funny, and you'd need some light relief when traipsing through a (frankly unsanitary) dungeon.

2) The Flying Eyes suffer from two anatomical improbabilities: they have no eyelids and can only look straight ahead. So I would simply duck down low, sneak along the ground, and throw my water-skin over its eye. It would then be temporarily blinded and easy to kill.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

1) I see you are not stupid

2)Bold idea! actually so bold that with very good aiming it might even work! (if one were at such situation in real life there certainly would be much risks no matter what he/she were to do). However, if I were you I would rather use the longsword to blind it (permanent!)

Care if i answer my own questions?

1)I would choose Trantor with me. He could at least as a burninator light the torches in room the teleport is targeted, so we could see something! as footgear, definetely my boots. I am fairly used to wear them so I would not get leg problems too easily and they are certainly the most protective footgear I have.

2)If I were to leap down the most likely result would probaly be both legs broken. Because I am stupid, I could never heal myself with magic, thus even one bone broken would result in sure, slow and painful death. Besides if I survived I would be lost because it's obvivously impossible to climb the pit up. So I would attempt to defend the corner, throwing the bricks from the wall behind the corner and using my longsword for close-up.

Post your own situations too!

New post (no doubleposting you see!):

This will now be my only theard I attend at least for now. I see there is no discussion right now.

Well well I give you something to discuss.

Question 3 by duckman: You are adventuring at dark abyss, and full set of scale mail and a sword as equipment, and you are carrying all the food and water for the party, but it is running low. You have a very old fragile man with you, He alvays slows you down but is a very good spellcaster, and in addition you have Sophia (beo if YOU are Sophia) as spellcaster and archer. Suddently some gas of strange colour fills the room. Both the old timer and Sophia (beo) get blinded permanently. You however are able to see as soon as the gas disappears. Otherwise you are unharmed. You are currently on an empty corridor, but you cannot escape the dungeon because of an open trapdoor at the entrance (you cannot cross, get round nor close it no matter what you do) so retreating is NOT an opinion. How would you procceed? or how would you leave where you are? or would you be cruel enough to leave your mates dying without sight? Or would you even kill them to let them from the sufferings (killing and bringing to an altar will not bring their sight back, nor you could not bring them out of dungeon as dead and revive them afterwards). WHAT WOULD YOU DO/ATTEMPT TO DO?

Question 4 by duckman: You enter an unknown dungeon alone, without anything but your clothes, to bring some expensive artefact from the bottom. But fairly soon after entry, before you encounter or find anything, rockfall collapses your only way back. (you know it's the only because you explered every corner carefully behind) Only a very powerful pickaxe or bomb could have hope clearing it. Dungeon after the rockfall gets extremely complicated, it's all the same looking with oneway teleports everywhere without any monsters nor items anywhere. You know there is a way out of it. You search, search, and search, and finally, when you are dangeroulsly thirsty, you find that way down, and it continues as any classic dungeon after that. You find some food, so hunger is no longer a problem. You also find a two-handed spear. But you are still thirsty. Then you hear sound of water falling from a room. It's a fountain no question! But when you enter the room you encounter the fountain, and also six hulking men with clearly bad intentions! They all have fletching knives as a weapon. Fife of them start chasing you where you came and one leaves guarding the fountain room. They drive you back to the entarnce from the dangerous maze. If you retreat further there is a very big risk of getting lost again. WHAT WOULD YOU DO/ATTEMPT TO DO?

Further note on question 4: Note you have not eaten the food yet! If you do you will of course get rid of your hunger but eating ALSO will increase the speed your thirst comes worse!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Sorry doubleposting but previvous post ran out of space.

I forgot to say that this theard is not 100% serious. You can make humorous or even sick and insane posts here without being considered insane. I want to make sure you do not take especially my situation #3 too heavily.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Duckman, please don't edit old posts to add new stuff -- it doesn't update the forum indicators that there is new content and so no-one will know that you added new content.

If you're adding something new, always add a new post, unless you're only making minor edits such as correcting spelling mistakes.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Question 3: Carry them as I battled my way to a new exit from the dungeon. I would never leave any members of this forum to die alone. :D

Question 4: They have knives, I have a spear. So I would kill them. Moral of the story? Never bring a knife to a spear fight.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Gambit ok but at least I doubleposted after all.

Oh_brother for 3: Ok I see but why would'nt you let them walk themselves? they can still walk and if they stay close to you they won't be weighting you down and additionally they would be helping you to carry all the stuff.

Oh_brother for 4: It could have changes to do... but only if you are not on open. 4 against 1 is still a very very big overpower, and remember that you are weakened by thirst. They could attack from all sides and that would be the end. But at corner or narrow hallway (and you are coming from one you're right) It could even work with good luck I think.

Beowuuf (if you happen to see this post sometime), good new rank and image!

Jan, about your speechs of speedrunning at DM forum, I said I can run 15Km in 1:30, or I can run 20Km, but NOT 20Km in 1:30. Please edit it.

For everyone: Post your own situations too. Now it's your turn!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Duckman wrote:Jan, about your speechs of speedrunning at DM forum, I said I can run 15Km in 1:30, or I can run 20Km, but NOT 20Km in 1:30. Please edit it.
Hmmm, this is a strange wish, but OK, as you wish - edited! At your service! :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Lol, normally people would be happy to have those kind of rumours about them! :lol:
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Thank you Jan. Somehow I do not like to be overestimated. I actually tested it few days back by running 25 KM. It took about 2:20, and it was about 1:50 at 20KM, So 1:30 is nowhere near truth.

Once again, post you'r own questions too! I have said it at least three times and it would be very interesting to discuss someone else's questions.

I'll give you one myself too.

Hmm, let's do it about this thing:

Question 5 by Duckman:

You have been put into some trial to be accepted as dungeon master. You did well at the theory tests, but almost failed the spellcasting part. Two tests left: you must show your physical fitness and your proweness in real dungeons. In order to get enough total score to enter the quild you will need either:

Run a marathon in 2:30 and make 300 pushups in row (with all these tests you can try again if you fail)
If you manage you have enough total score to skip the dungeon part totally

Run a marathon in 3:00 and make 180 pushups in row
If you manage you will only have to complete a very easy dungeon (you need to lead the party yourself battling and rationing food and water as any member in the party)

Run a marathon in 3:30 and make 100 pushups in row
If you manage you will have to complete Gem of ra

Run a marathon in 4:00 and make 65 pushups in row
If you manage, original dungeon

Run a marathon (one go) and complete CSB

Complete surgical strike ALONE!

Don't worry, if you die you will be resurrected and you cannot injure yourself permanently. You also can always teleport out of the dungeon if you run out of hope, but without items fetched from it. And you can try again the dungeon from beginning if you are that unlucky. You can also give up the test for good.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO/ATTEMPT TO?
Last edited by Duckman on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I would definitely choose the last option (Surgical Strike alone) - because I just can't run a marathon! I just can't. Or - I would need the whole week for it. :)
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

I would probably choose the 'Run a marathon and complete CSB', not that I'll be that good at either, but due to the lack of a time limit on the marathon I'll split it up over a few days, and since I don't have to complete CSB alone I'd take a team who have already completed the dungeon and have strengths in spellcasting.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, we'll set up some computers and play surgical strike and have a TV set up to watch everyone keel over of exhaustion :)
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Trego: you do not have a time limit but you have to RUN the marathon! and I meant in row.

Beo: And remember that you have to come to dungeon you are to complete yourself, you cannot just set up a TV and watch the marathoners exhausting, there are no socket pockets in dungeon!

But again, I really really really would want to see questions made by someone else here!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

No new posts... You don't like doing your own questions do you?

Has anyone seen my brother here? I think he started to use these forums.

Nice discussion that in theard about old socienty. Really could not agree more with Bit, we youngsters are far too disrespectful, rude, lazy and weak these days. Teachers in ground school should have bit more powers to "humourmen" like I were sometimes (I am getting better however), and a few extra gym and religion lessons now and then would not hurt. Oh potato box, why do they always tell us to wash our hands before lunch but no word about prayer we used to do in primary ground school?

Please give a new story to discuss about on the way if you reply.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Too busy with work and also with D&D game I'm afraid :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Duckman: As beo says, many people here are extremely busy and only get limited time to respond to threads. Some threads get more responses than others, depending on the subject matter. And yes, I believe the new person, Oxman, is your sibling. It seem rather a coincidence to have two people from the same town in Finland! :-)

Oh, also, you brought up some issues about a different thread, and also asked people to create "a new story to discuss". The forums don't work like that -- it's too confusing to discuss different subjects in unrelated threads. Please keep each thread about the original subject, thanks.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

LOL, I knew it, I knew it - I knew that Oxman is Duckman's brother... Aren't you from a farming family? :wink:
Oxman
Novice

Post by Oxman »

hey, beo! Ostrobothnia is NOT a city nor a town, it means an area east from Gulf of bothnia.

And ´Jan, you're wrong, we do not live on countryside nor we farm (trough our family have traditionally been farmers).

Answer 1 for duckman: I take sophia, as the dungeon creator. For feet, I would take boots because I don't have anything else suitable for those things.
Oxman
Novice

Post by Oxman »

Answer 2 for Duckman: I would wait the eye behind the corner and then aim a stab into it's eye.

Answer 3 for Duckman: I would attach myself with a rope into them so they could follow me.

Answer 4 for Duckman: Spear is longer than a knife, so I would defend myself from a corner. If things get too hot, well, another corner then.

Answer 5 for Duckman: That would be far too difficult for me, not worth trying.
Oxman
Novice

Post by Oxman »

Question 1 by Oxman: Just after starting some dungeon, you head for the hall of champions. But suddently a completely invisible trapdoor opens under you, you fall in trough luckily unharmed, but then the trapdoor closes again leaving you in complete darkness without any supplies nor knowledge about a single rune. You can sense nothing, absolutely nothing. You cannot even find a single wall no matter how much you wander around. After many failed attempts to find something you turn around about 50th time and see some light, trough very far. You go towards it but almost instantly bump into something very hard which moves slowly. And somehow you manage to find walls blocking your way to both sides and back. So only way out is trough the moving hard object. When you examine it closely, you find out it's a stone golem who has heard you in some point and followed you down the hall. And you discover even more interesting thing: It is readying it's club for an attack towards the dead end corner. After appromixtely 10 secs anything in the corner would get a 11.5KG bash most probaly on head. You have no equipment yet. WHAT WOULD YOU DO/ATTEMPT TO DO?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Get between its legs and move only once it hits itself or when it hits where I was. I hope no DM D&D player reads this, or they have poor memories, as that's a tip for a much later creature...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Answer: If I'm heading for the hall of champions, it probably means that I'm a ghost, so I wouldn't be at all concerned about this situation, I'd just escape by walking through a wall :-)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

A lot of people from Finland on the forum! Big-J-Q is from Oulu, and Mikko and Toni_Y are from HellSinki I think :)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

For Beo: OK if you really are too busy. At least there now seems that finally there has BEEN MADE something else. You're gotta be quite efficient with computers if you can visit forums during breaks. Here people usually spend their breaks reading a book, drinking coffee or smoking. Even lazier I spend most of it lying on a rock or under a tree.

For Gambit: I meant to just mention off-topic things by the way. And what comes to creating own stories, this is my theard and I think I said it clearly enough in original post that this theard is just for that. But thanks I try to keep in mind.

For Adamo: It's Helesinki... oops meant Helsinki (my dialect!), not HellSinki. But anyway that means that Oxman is the third Ostrobothnian here.

For Oxman: Triple post, brother! But anyway to answer your question I would certainly not do anything intelligent, I would just attempt to push trough through it would not probaly work. If it fails i would attempt to kill it with my hard skull. Cruel question, Congratulations!

Want me to do more questions? I may do next time if you want
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Helsinki not HellSinki
ha! I know. But some finnish calls their capital "Hell Sinki" :)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

This is finnish, but not the end! Helsinki is hell!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Trantor I understand you: with such cities it is really incredible how people can live in them. I mean, some people like big cities but one would think there is some limit! But I still do not think it is ####. And Adamo, saying "Edinburg" in english sounds like "Eedinböörgh" to us, for example. There is already a theard at informal news & chat about things like that if you want to discuss (Englanders seem very bookish sometimes).