break a door with a definite action

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
RAF68
Lo Master

break a door with a definite action

Post by RAF68 »

it is possible to break a wooden door with a definite action example only with a sword, if the player types the door the door with an sword break if knock the door without weapon has bare hand kick that the door does not break?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: break a door with a definite action

Post by beowuuf »

You'd need to create a new attack type for the sword alone, that coverts a new type of wooden door to a broken wooden door.
Lai
Adept

Post by Lai »

i think this would work just if u throw the weapon (lets say a "falchion") u wish to bash the door.
but im only a neophyte to use the editor...
if this solution to be adequate to you build this:

a wooden door closed with 100/100 bash/fire.
at same tile: broken wooden door closed.
a counter,destroy,target "wooden door",no delay, 2 count
a trigger in front of door operated by "falchion",over trigger only,toogle, target: the counter

this way the counter decreased from 2 to 1 while stepping at front of the door while have a falchion in inventory or armed, and its decreased from 1 to 0 if u throw the falchion at the door. at 0 it destroy the wooden door, and u see the broken door

:mrgreen:
edit1:
u could also build a second relay with same details who activatet a "localised sound" where are in front of door and plays "thud".
the only problem for this build are, u have to trap the party at this tile, or their open the door just while walking around
edit2:
ok, i have take a look...first i was happy, cause i thought u dont have to trap the party, cause if the door at east u have to make trigger work only from east. this works fine, but the problem are making this all pointless: the player just have to rotate and the door are bashed.
anyway, i have somtehing learned
HEHE
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

It's possible but you will have to mess with attack methods, actions and relays quite a bit. I actually did just that in my dungeon, it was not too much work but only because it was done for only one door.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

RAF68: I think you're going about this the wrong way. Beowuuf made a good suggestion.

Have you investigated ACTIONS yet? It sounds like you haven't. These are a much more powerful way of building clever mechanics.....

In this case, you simply need a sword that has a special Attack method. The Attack Method should do an ACTION that swaps any door with a new broken door. The beauty of this is that you don't need any relays or other such stuff. If the sword is used anywhere other than on your special door, nothing will happen.

I don't have the time this weekend to do an example, but if I get any time soon, I'll create one for you to have a look at.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

do I have to test all your idea but amn't I to arrive somebody could make me an example? that would be very nice
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

rtc has a sample with a club in it, see the examples folder
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

The problem there is that it was also trigger from ANYWHERE in the dungeon. If you activate the attack method prior to finding the door in question, it'll swap it before you even get there!

My answer:
Clone a new door with the given appearance. Place one in your dungeon.
Clone a new cloud from CLOUD_ZO. Give it NULL appearence.
Clone a new spell from ZO. Give it NULL appearence. For it's break convert, set its COVERT_TO to the new CLOUD_ZO, and no sound, then use the action ACTION_SWAP_LOCAL and set the OBJECT_1 to the newly cloned door's type and set OBJECT_2 to the "broken door".
Then make your action method CAST_SPELL using the newly created spell as OBJECT_1, make sure the strength is 2 (it means "sub-squares" distance traveled for the spell to run out of steam, disappear, so 2 means that it'll go 2 "sub-squares, or 1 FULL square. This means that it'll only affect a door on the tile that you're facing).

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

HERE RAF! HAVE A LINK!!!

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.