AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Bit
Arch Master

Re: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Post by Bit »

In September a device of an old machine died, so they had to replace it and of course, the port wasn't the same anymore, so I had to do some changes in my old program.
What should I say - that supermodern testing device gives a 'not okay'-signal instead of an 'okay'-signal - means - if that cable breaks, all tested pieces are good. And the programmer wasn't able to invert the signal. Probably I lack some modern knowledge - but those new ones definately lack the basics!
Beware the future!!!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bit wrote:Beware the future!!!
Very wise words!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Weird. I just had a conversation with the client about yesterday's over-writing mess up. Summary paraphrasing "Whatever. Let's address this later. You MUST finish the site today."

I understand that the client is focussed on getting the site finished. That's fine. I don't have a problem with that. But I do have a problem with them not accepting responsibility, and not giving an apology for wasting my time. I said I'd charge for this wasted time and they were very unhappy about that. Honestly unbelieveable. It's their mess, not mine! I've already lost money due to an insubstantial spec and wasting time on trying to get to the bottom of how the site should actually work.

And yet, from another perspective, I'm wondering if I'm not giving good customer service. Another view might be "stop moaning, finish the project, they are paying you, and if you turn it around, they will give you more work." Should I just suck it up and take everything that comes my way? Speculate to accumulate, so to speak?

No.

The benefit of freelancing is I get to choose who I work with. I don't have to work with people who aren't good to work with.

Next!

[Monologue helping me get my thoughts straight. :)]
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, you aren't an employee, you are a contractor. As an employee whatever they want you to do you would do, as it's their time and money and you just do the best job you can.

As a contractor, you time and skillset is valuable, and if you are wasting time with people who aren't compensating you for your precious time.

If they were paying you for your time in hours, then yeah, you should inform them but suck it up, but then you'd bill them for every minute and accept no complaints if the fault is theirs. You aren't funding their stupidity.

If you can't bill for your hours directly, then it's an issue and you have a right to complain. Basically, it seems every business wants to steamroller as much as they can for as little as possible.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Part of the problem is that I got severe 'flu during the project which delayed things considerably. They got some other guy in while I was off and paid him to do some of the work. Now that it's back to me to finish it off.

I would have been happy to give a discount for the difference -- he obviously did some of the work I was being paid for -- but after reviewing my hours and seeing that I was significantly over my quote, I told them that I couldn't offer the discount, but that I wouldn't charge any extra for the losses (that was partly my fuckup after all for not addressing the issue sooner and asking for more money -- but also theirs for not giving me a decent spec in the first place.)

Now they seem to think they can get everything else for free. I've even thrown in some extra stuff like tutorials which wasn't originally asked for.

It all comes down to expectation setting, which if I'm honest, I could definitely have handled better. And they haven't used freelance people before, so it's a new process for them and there are bound to be teething problems. Nevertheless, I think they have been a bit unreasonable, especially regarding the issue of me being ill. I couldn't even walk properly for three days due to muscle fatigue and they were implying that I should be working!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Bit wrote: Beware the future!!!
Exactly! technology has gone far enoug! further and it will cause more harm than good!
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It already does if you view certain things from certain perspectives. But I think the world is way too complicated to make such general black-and-white assumptions.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Duckman wrote:
Bit wrote: Beware the future!!!
Exactly! technology has gone far enoug! further and it will cause more harm than good!
That's not the problem as I believe, the problem is technology in the hands of idiots.
It's needed that the ethics and social things develop with the same speed, and that they definately do not. As long as greediness rules the world (and it does this daily more, and this will on a global view not be better with vanishing resources) we're all doomed. The economs are now in responsibility and it's time that we don't let fool us from them and their selfish behaviour anymore. Unlimited growth is an illusion, forced by those who abuse the infinity of numbers. Balance is the key. That needs a new thinking.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Bit wrote:the problem is technology in the hands of idiots.
And the related problem that there are just so many idiots out there. :mrgreen:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol...sorry, I just want to say I find the term "economs" amusing - sounds like little cheap mini yummy biscuits or something ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

QFF
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Ameena wrote:Lol...sorry, I just want to say I find the term "economs" amusing - sounds like little cheap mini yummy biscuits or something ;).
Interesting that this word doesn't exists... :shock:
Do you call them all simply vultures or mantis?

btw:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah - I must find a way today to search the steak-bug.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Bit wrote:Interesting that this word doesn't exists... :shock:
It does exist - but only in our languages (Ökonom / Ekonom). :mrgreen:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'd thought it was maybe a typo of the word "economies" or something, but anyway I couldn't let it pass by ;).
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Good thing he didn't say "wirtschaftswissenschaftler," that sounds more like biscuits you'd choke on.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Ameena wrote:I'd thought it was maybe a typo of the word "economies" or something, but anyway I couldn't let it pass by ;).
What makes you think that you weren't right?
After all those years, being proofed that my english is a mess, I gave it up and set on the natural intelligence of the readers.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sophia wrote:Good thing he didn't say "wirtschaftswissenschaftler," that sounds more like biscuits you'd choke on.
You still amaze me with your knowledge of the German language... And yay for my 2000th post!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Trantor wrote:And yay for my 2000th post!
Sehr gut, meine Gratulation, Trantor. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wow, haven't we gotten rid of you yet :D
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Gongratualtions Trantor.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - spamm0rz :P
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Sophia wrote:And the related problem that there are just so many idiots out there. :mrgreen:
You are not one of them, Sophia, but your avatar has made a little mistake. Look at it: it's supposed to have a Chrismas costume, BUT WHO ON EARTH KEEPS HER ARMS PALE ON WINTER?. Well that can happen accidently to anyone, because avatars don't feel cold.

it will freeze like my one, unless you change it. :P

Edited a bit, thanks from notice Jan.
Last edited by Duckman on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

REMOVED
Last edited by Jan on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Um, I think it's just a sarcastic joke Jan, don't take it so seriously.... I didn't read anything malicious in it. Of course, Sophia should be the judge, and if she deems it offensive, then we should amass a large hamper of rotten fruit and throw it over Duckman :P
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

... or solve it in the Sword-fight thread! :)
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Ok I edited it. My tongue is too fast. Sorry. I try to not be sarcastic in future with such things ok?
I apologise. If someone here is an idiot, it's DEFINITELY me (as you can tell from my avatar. WHO ON THE EARTH DOES NOT KNOW THAT WATERS FREEZE DURING WINTER? :P )

Look at the chatroom quote for a week. THAT'S what I deem "extremely offensive"
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Thanks a lot, Duckman. And so I removed my previous post. :D

You can be sarcastic in the future, please, be sarcastic! I love sarcasm, and the Czech love of sarcasm is almost the same as the English one! So - be sarcastic! But! Try not to offend other people, try to be polite and kind of "decent" - especially to ladies. Maybe I overreacted to your post, but mostly because you were talking about a lady.

And you're definitely not an idiot! You're an intelligent young man! :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Now, see, us people who weren't here to see the unedited version of that post have to wonder "Wtf did he actually post?" ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Nothing, nothing... *hides his sword with blood stains and a rotten potatoe behind his back; whistles*
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

:shock:

Wait, what?